• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

DIY aluminum bead locks.

Brian H

Where do i get them for a 17"rim? Can i buy them from trail ready? I know sky has them but Im not so sure i like theres.

Trail ready will convert your existing aluminum wheels for 175.00 each.

It's a tricky process to do and they have it down to a science. The rim flange is machined away, flipped and "wire fed" back on. The bolt flange is TIG welded on along both the inside and outside surface.

They earn the 175 bucks.

It's a tricky process to do and they have it down to a science. The rim flange is machined away, flipped and "wire fed" back on. The bolt flange is TIG welded on along both the inside and outside surface.

They earn the 175 bucks.

I know. I would love to have them but Im maying to have my rig finished right now. Out of budget.

I know. I would love to have them but Im maying to have my rig finished right now. Out of budget.

If your out of budget then why are you trying to do alum locks? Dont ya already have rims and tires mounted?

Buying Aluminum thick enough to make it work is going to cost you $$$.

Unless you find some wierd unknown alloy scrap piece that might weld ok for cheap

They earn the 175 bucks.

Do you know if they heat treat them after weld to draw them back to T-6?

No.

The aluminum rims you buy off the shelf are not heat treated anyway, usually just cast or cold forged at best.

Just went to the TR site...they use 6061 T6 ( a heat treated material)....when wleding 6061 it softens to about t nothing. I was just wondering if they do anything to make the alum stronger again.

They earn the 175 bucks.
Thats what I did.

No, the rims are not heat treated after welding.

This is not a bad thing as heat treating aluminum after welding is virtually unheard of except on maybe production Motorcycles or airplane parts.

Last edited:
Hey PM fly-n-loin he is running these:awesomework:

And it sounds like Mark M is words of experience on this too.