• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

DNR to gate Nooksack North Fork area.

DNR forests set aside for school grant revenues are a whole different ballgame then lands set aside for public recreation. Sure, they are public land, but they are public land to generate revenue for public schools.

Edit: Damn it! Binder beat me to it. Didnt see his reply.:redneck:

The primary purpose for these forest lands is to raise timber to sell and make money to fund schools. This is the law. Recreation is secondary and we don't have a leg to stand on when recreationalists are out there damaging and cutting down trees.
Sucks but that's how it is.

When "laws"start to infringe on our natural rights, then they become illegitimate. As long as we aren't "directly" hurting anyone we should be left alone.

When "laws"start to infringe on our natural rights, then they become illegitimate. As long as we aren't "directly" hurting anyone we should be left alone.

What is a "natural right"?....Keep in m ind that laws are created by the people or by someone elected by the people. The same people who own the land.

DNR forests set aside for school grant revenues are a whole different ballgame then lands set aside for public recreation. Sure, they are public land, but they are public land to generate revenue for public schools.

Edit: Damn it! Binder beat me to it. Didnt see his reply.:redneck:
Then why the hell do we have to have a Discover Pass to wheel on 4.5 miles of friggin trail .... where is the 23k they are spending to decommission the illegal trails and gate the road at NF from? If it is coming from recreation then that would automatically deem it a " recreational area" and should be left open.

Don't you see? You buy a D-pass, they close trails, less money spent, more money for something else. Anyone who thinks areas will be kept open and more recreation established because of the D-pass probably also agrees with seasonal closures and that the d-pass will save baby seals.

My personal opinion, from a second gen home school student, it aggravates me that I have tax dollars that support public schools as it is. Not to be harsh, but why should I pay for services that are not rendered.
It would be like safeway charging a fee to me for keeping the beer isle open, or the cigarette counter, two things that I don't partake in. I am all for charging the ones that receive the services, but I don't.
And if the forests fund anything at all, why don't they first use those funds to maintain the roads, and fund enforcement. They tax us again for that! If I ran my business like they do . . .

The DNR has dual mandates.

The must manage the trust land in the best interest of protecting its value.

It is also required to allow multi-use access when that access does not degrade trust value.

That is where ORV funding to compensate for trust value reduction comes into play. Trails and parking lots on DNR land involve easements.

Again

I grew up a couple of miles from the north fork and have used that area recreationally all my life. From hunting and fishing to wheeling and moto, and this is far from the first time gates have been put up restricting that area. In the early and mid 90's there were several attempts to gate off that road, every time, the gates were torn down by people rightfully enraged by these actions. I hate to say it, but if our rights are going to be stomped on again in this way, I'm all for these gates coming down along with the damn signs again. Again once a few of these gates go missing, they will give up again, hopefully for a decade or two as they did before. The government regulates way to much anyhow, as long as folks police themselves and keep the duechbags away, there is no reason for more " control" over this area.

it is an interesting approach. The 'legal' way we've been doing things as a community has certainly not gotten us very far.

Mtn bikers around the country have been bootleging trails and taking pride. The government (FS!) will ticket them, and they will still build. Eventually they just give up because its just not worth the pursuit for something thats, quite frankly, not that much impact.

Also, there are no gates going up at this time. DNR will wait and see if people come back to recreate after the trails are decomissioned. If they continue to be used, then they will put up a gate.

But the guys I know up there are already planning plan B.. ha. its great. they're so much like (some of) us.

I fear in the not so distant future, that will be the only way we will have access to any of our public lands. Unless we all become hikers.

Mtn bikes have a few advantages, they're quiet and small and people generally like them. I've found a few created trails around here that the FS and DNR will never find. I say go for it.

I fear in the not so distant future, that will be the only way we will have access to any of our public lands. Unless we all become hikers.

The United States Forest Service restricts access to the Enchantments permit area, which includes five zones.
The 1981 Alpine Lakes Wilderness Plan established a quota of 60 people at one time as the carrying capacity of the Core Enchantment Zone. For overnight camping between June 15 and October 15 hikers in any of the five currently established zones must have permits. 75 percent of the permits for each hiking season are awarded in advance by lottery. The first round of the (very competitive) lottery includes all applications received between February 22 and March 13 (for the 2012 season). The other 25 percent of permits are issued each morning (except Sunday) at 7:45 a.m. at the Leavenworth ranger station for trips beginning the same day. If not enough permits are available for the day's applicants, the permits are awarded by lottery.[8]

I think within our lifetimes if you want to get out in the wilderness you will have to break a law to do it.