• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Do people still "order" new cars?

tonybolton

Bypass Crawler
Does anyone here do this? Not talking exotics or of the like. I mean like daily driver cars and trucks.

Was remenicing on some old photos of my dad and remembering how excited I got as a kid when it was "ordering/pickup" time.

He was from the old school of "If it has 100k miles it's wore the **** out". Obviously times have changed....

Anyways....i remember him taking me for the first time to order his 1987 Thunderbird. V8 of course....specific options....specific colors....etc...had to have an equalizer!

2nd was an early 90s f150....same thing....manual hubs cuz autos jus mean more **** to break....roll up windows....power locks....captains seats. Top end radio.

Next was a mid 90s xcab ranger. I remember this one because of one option he bitched about. A 15 dollar noise cancelling antenna :p ;D . He wanted the premium stereo but was forced to pay 15 bux for this gay antenna. You can see where my jewness/cheapness comes from. He wanted red but I told him he should get green. He hated that truck. Reliable as anything....jus hated the color. He reminded me of that all the time. Ass. 8) :-*

His last vehicle he'd buy would be a red 2000 xcab ford ranger....same as what he had.....just red. He loved it and we still have it today. Has 156k on it and he quit driving it around 150k.

I miss my dad everyday still....been a few years. Remembering times like these make me smile and laugh....and cry a little. I always loved that first drive home in a new car. He let me set the radio stations and my seat position. Made me feel important. Made me read all the maintenance guides in the owners manual.

I think most people these days just compromise or just do dealer transfers to get the vehicles they want I guess.

The car my ol lady drives I ordered because it's a 4 door lx 4 cylinder with a manual 6 speed. Honda will let you do that as long as they offer the car. I only had 2 color options though. As far as something real custom I honestly don't know

Re:

I ordered my first new truck,

04 Silverado RCBS Z71, 5.3, manual shift tcase, Arrival Blue, and 4.10 gears ($50!).

The 4.10 gear option was literally the only reason I ordered a truck.
Bright ass blue regular cab 5.3 trucks weren't exactly common either.

Sumbitch would come off the line hard compared to the standard 3.42 gear trucks.

That was the only truck I've had that was exactly as I wanted.

And most of the time now to get all the special financing and cash back deals and other stupid **** you have to buy from dealer stock.

When we bought my wife's 4runner, I just told em to get us a black Trail edition. I didn't care about any of the other options because I was going to put black Katzkins leather and seat heaters in it anyway. Remote start, nav, etc is all easy to add aftermarket so whatever.

My brother ordered his dodge and good buddy has ordered two Chevrolet trucks recently.
All were single rear wheel one ton 4 door 4wd. Brothers also was a six speed.

I ordered my current Jeep. 2004 Wrangler. Had several things I wanted and some I didn't on most common packages. Dealership had almost what I wanted on the lot but not the interior color I wanted. They tried like crazy to get me to take it but no deal. I had in mind what I wanted. I also knew modifications I wanted to do in the future and didn't want to pay for things I would remove later.

It's also cool because the window sticker has "Built For" printed on it.

Re:

Forgot about the gear option in his f150. Don't remember what it was....3.73 or 4.10 bit he wanted cuz he was putting bigger tires on it when the stocks wore out.

The answer is yes. People are just as complicated and picky in their options as they were 50 years ago.

Only now mass production has made it easier for the dealer to locate the only dang unit you're looking for. Lol

I see it every day and hear about it all the time.

Nothing's changed. I also think that there are dads out there building the same memories you will have for he rest of your life.

America baby !!!

When I was old enough and had enough money to buy a new car....i tried to be like dad and order one. I went to the same dealership....sames sales manager as my dad to buy my first and only new car. 2002 Mustang GT. I wanted a white with black interior....5spd....premium sound....leather. Pretty plain I know but low and behold they actually had one there with 45 miles on it. They pushed that car on me but I kept saying I wanted brand new. When they knocked another $800 off the price I just went ahead and took it. Money Talks.

I remember driving the car home.... well to my mom and dad's house first and showing them. I remember feeling very proud of myself and I could see that look in my dad's eye. The first thing he told me when he came outside to look at it...

"... nice car.... must be nice to afford brand new vehicles!"

Good ol dad.... :p 8) ;D :) :-* :'( ;) ::)

tonybolton said:
When I was old enough and had enough money to buy a new car....i tried to be like dad and order one. I went to the same dealership....sames sales manager as my dad to buy my first and only new car. 2002 Mustang GT. I wanted a white with black interior....5spd....premium sound....leather. Pretty plain I know but low and behold they actually had one there with 45 miles on it. They pushed that car on me but I kept saying I wanted brand new. When they knocked another $800 off the price I just went ahead and took it. Money Talks.

I remember driving the car home.... well to my mom and dad's house first and showing them. I remember feeling very proud of myself and I could see that look in my dad's eye. The first thing he told me when he came outside to look at it...

"... nice car.... must be nice to afford brand new vehicles!"

Good ol dad.... :p 8) ;D :) :-* :'( ;) ::)
So the apple don't fall far from the tree?

If I ever hit the lottery, I will be ordering a brand new Vette, just so I can pick it up in their nursery at the museum.

Coworker bought a brand new civic today and took us to lunch.
Newest car I ever farted in.

All I have to add to this thread, sorry. I have no idea what it feels to buy new. But I've started a bunch of engines for their first time in factories.

Two years ago I ordered a Jeep for the wife. I wanted a two door, Rubicon, stick, no power windows/locks. There was nothing like that on the East Coast. All they had were fully loaded with autos. So the only way to get one was to order it.
It took two months for it to come in, I was in no rush so that din't bother me.
All in all, I would do it again to get what I want in a vehicle not what their pushing.

Re:

I figured everything these days were all just package deals.

I watch those barret Jackson auctions and you always hear them talk about "odd option" cars like 427 vettes with no power steering....no radio..4.11 gear.....etc....

And they're like....you know what this car was bought for!

never been able to afford a new car. Like Enzo I farted in my boss's truck when he first bought it a couple years back. Damn near **** myself trying to work it out.

A huge factor in me getting a brand new car was just due to financing and rebates. It was ridiculous how much a used 2000 or 2001 Mustang was at the same time Ford was offering 5grand rebate and 0% financing. I could actually KEEP money in the accounts and MAKE a few percentage instead of paying 2-3-4-whatever percent.

Every car I've ever purchased I've cared ZERO ****S about resale value. I buy the car because I have a desire to own THAT car....whatever it may be. I know they're depreciating assets.

Thinking more about my 02 GT(still no idea what I'm gonna ultimately end up doing to it), I remember driving it around that first week and being like, "Man, this is the nicest car I've ever owned, I'm gonna love this thing.....it's quiet...rides good(sporty)...the leather is great and this stereo is pretty dang nice, I don't even need a small subwoofer!"

Fast forward to about 1,000 miles on the ODO and it had a roll cage, race seat, heim joints, 3 link rear / coilovers and spent most of its time on 275 wide slicks at all four corners. Car isn't a powerhouse, but it's been insanely reliable. I miss whoring the car out....but it's so out-dated on HP that it frustrates me.....and it needs a new transmission. It'll go into 3rd gear....but it' don't like it! LOL

Patrick wouldn't let me swap an LS3/T56 in it....I gotta uphold my mans wish...

I don't like drag cars, so I always thought just a pimpy high reving 347 would be sweet and semi-budget friendly. But after daily'ing this 5.0 coyote car....that's a tough motor to NOT love to wring out! But it's got that "HARDLINE ONLY" price tag on it even for used ones. :(

Which tony Bolton is this? The thug who lights Cubans with 100 dollar bills with traces of coke on em or the poor homeless poor me penny pinching tony, someone's got a identity problem ????

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk