• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Dodge 4.7L Feedback

gh3

I have the chance to pick up a 2002 4dr 2wd dakota for real cheap but it might need a motor. It might make a good family rig. Im just looking for some feedback on these engines and trannys if any one has had any problems with them or if there good rigs and worth putting a motor in.

Last edited:
we had one in the shop not to long ago,we put timing chain guides in it,they for the most part will all rattle when started,but if you google 4.7 dodge issues youll get a **** ton of stuff gone wrong with these engines..

hers one for a G that needs a motor. http://seattle.craigslist.org/oly/cto/2684220750.html

Dodge gasser, no mileage and no resale value.

I seen that truck earlier the one i was looking at is a 4dr. The only reason i was looking at it is it will fit all the kids easier then my ford but i dont think i want to spend $1500 for a motor if it needs one. I was only going to pay $1250 for an 02. But dont think its going to happen now.

I had an 01 Dakota 4x4 with the 4.7, had 93K when I bought it and had like 150K when I sold it if I remember right. During the time that I owned it the only things I had to replace besides the normal wear n tear stuff was injectors (2 were leaking but I replaced all 8), brake light switch, radiator, thermostat housing seal & had the rear end rebuilt after the clutches gave out. That truck went through its paces and held up suprisingly well to the beating I gave it, my friends used to call me DK (drift King):redneck:

The 4.7 got good gas mileage too, I calculated my mileage one time going to the dunes with a quad, kx250 & crf50 in the back & I was averaging 22.5 (driving conservatively). Normal driving I would average around 17-18, but mine also had taller gearing.

Now that I think of it, I dont think I ever had the tranny serviced while I had the truck & never had any problems with it slipping. I never really towed anything heavy with it, I think the heaviest thing I ever towed with it was my Honda Civic HB on the flatbed but often hauled bikes/quads in the back or on the flatbed.

I actually miss that truck, it had nice power for a mid size truck and was very comfortable to drive. If you were going to replace the engine I would see what is needed to throw the 5.2 (318 CI) in there, much better engine and quiet a bit more power, I think they even put the 5.9's in some of the dakotas as well.

Last edited:
We have a 4dr Dakota with 4.7/5speed and really like it. It doesn't get the best mileage (14-17 usually) but is really comfortable and hauls people/stuff easily. I'd buy another one, no question.

Paging hwcurtice. He drives one of these.

Mine's a 2006. 4x4 and an Auto.

While I love my truck and drive it like crazy. I bought it used with about 5k on it in 2007 and now have 133k on it, you do the math, I had to get the tranny rebuilt about 10k ago. I did add a shift kit and extra tranny cooler. Turned out I burned out my overdrive clutches. Use the tow/haul when towing, (duh). Even though I have the towing package which should be able to handle anything I had towed, still...

As for the engine, well gas mileage is a dream I'm still working on... Of course, if I bought it for that, I'm a dreamer anyway. My genreation 4.7 is a little better than the 2nd generation 4.7, and even though the next version might be a little better than this one, the economy drops a lot without any gain, IMO.

I will say, my truck, after all I've done, does get up and goes. And so does the gas... Like its not even there! Best I've ever seen it get was 18ish.

ive got a 2000 wj with the early 4.7, got low/mid teens for milage, did the trany reflash to convert from 4sp to 5sp, started avg low 20's upper/mid 20's on road trips...... not bad concidering its full time 4wd..

but yha, im shopping for a motor now as well, threw a rod back in may, been parked ever since..

If the oil changes have been performed on time meticulously since new, I suppose it's an OK motor, other than that they are a COMPLETE PILE OF $HIT.

They gunk up real bad and lose oiling, we've replaced several and there isn't ever anything used available because they're such piles of garbage. The NEW motors run $4k ish. You can look on CL damn near any day and find CHEAP dakotas, durangos, and grand cherokees with blown 4.7's because they're not worth fixing. I'd stay away from it personally.

Don't have a lot of good things to say about these myself as in one week alone we were swapping out 3 engines in three different rigs at work... As John mentioned, if the maint. has been kept up, you should expect reasonable life, but don't ask for much more than that....come to think of it, I have yet to see a 4.7L living to 200K without some major issue....

I bought a new 03 Dakota with the 4.7, had good power and got around 17mph in mixed driving then do to oiling issue's it went tits up at 73000.:puke:

have to aggree with zuk on this. we just had to get some head work done on one. Mostly due to no oil changes stuff like that. But they can have alot of problems and not that fun to work on. We have one 4.7l block out and on a stand right now, with another about to be pulled, and one we pulled just a couple weeks ago. The one thats out now was throwin rockers like crazy.

well, if any one has a core they want to kick my way id apreciate it...
or even a line on one that still runs ok...