• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

dodge suspension opinions

dangerous toy

im gonna put a leveling kit on my 2500 and im trying to decide if its worth doing one of the higher end kits that will not only level but improve ride quality. is anyone running the carli,lorenz or kore level kits (springs, custom valved shocks, and sway bar links) I might just do the daystar poly spacers and some high quality shocks, but it would be nice to have a smoother ride. putting some D rated 295's-315's will probably soak up the sharp edges better than the E rated 245's that i have now too. let me know what your running for suspension and what tires too -pics- thanks -DT

I have the lorenz 2.5 stuff. Had it for a few years now. Sean Lorenz was great to work with. You can see my truck on his web site. Bruce't truck, the black dodge with the canvas canopy.

If you want to just level it out and ride better on road. IIRC, the kore leveling kit is a great deal. Been a while since I looked at the prices though. If you want to run off road longer and not have the shocks overheat, then start looking at the larger shock kits.

Not sure what year your dodge is, 35s will fit on a 3rd gen with little lift. I ran 35s stock. I now run 37s with the 3" springs.

Wheels with be our biggest issue with fitting larger tires. Stock wheels, H2 wheels and among the best with the proper backspacing. That and they can be had cheep.

thanks for the reply

my truck is a 97, the kore level kit says it is for 98-08, im confused as to what the difference would be in front suspension from 97 to 98?? my stock wheels are only 6.5" wide so that might keep me from running a 315. you guys think a 295/75/16 will be pinched too much and wear down the center on a stock wheel?? -DT

97 dodge will have lots of wheels available. IIRC normal 4.5 BS works well. Thinking your 6.5 wheel will be a bit narrow for those tires.

Not sure on the difference in the 97 vs the 98 up trucks.

I think that for some reason the size of the link arm bushings and bolts changed in 1998.

I have a '97 Ram 2500 with the poly spacers, Bilstein 5100s, extended length control arms, an adjustable 3rd Gen style track bar and 315/75R16 tires on 16x8 wheels with about 4.75" of backspacing. The spacers were on it when I purchased the truck and I would like to switch them out for Skyjacker D25 springs. Otherwise, I am happy with the setup.

revco (sp) makes a good spacer kit as well. IMHO all spacer kits are the same. The shocks can be different, but the spacers all do the same thing.

The only thing I have heard on the D25 springs is they sag over the years. But the people I heard it from may of just been complaining for no reason.

yeah

Ive heard the D25's sag too, thats why im kinda thinkin the lorenz kit, seems like a decent deal when you factor a leveling puck plus bilsteins is only a couple hundred bucks cheaper.

Just looked at the Lorenz prices again. The leveling kit looks like a good price. Front only or system.

I have talked to Sean many many times and he has always treated me great.

I have also ran many different versions of the springs. Currently the IR springs, before the 23%. Not sure what is on the front of your truck for extra weight, but if its stock with no additional additions. I would just go with the 6%.

I run an aftermarket bumper and winch with the IRs and put on 37s cause it looked like to much fender gap for me with 35s.

My truck if you did not find it there, http://lorenzindustries.com/buildup_bruce.html

nice truck bruce

your truck looks great (inline6) so youve run the 23% and the IR coils?? i was thinking of going with the carli kit because it comes with progressive rate coils, im not sure i want the 6% coils, im looking for ride quality, was it worth upgrading to the IR's?? i will be carrying a camper and running a custom front bumper with a reciever dirt bike carrier, so maybe the IR's would be too soft?? thanks -DT

To be honest here, I was one of the first people running his stuff. I dont want to say I was a test bed, but I did try a few things out early on. I was sent the IR coils when he first came out with them. I am also quoted on the web site....

Thinking the IR coils sound about right for you. Softer for the initial normal travel, firmed up with a extra front load, but no sag. Email Sean and get his take. He is a great guy to work with.