• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Drill bits and metal

hwcurtice

So, what bits do you use?

Metal I am trying to drill holes through: Rails for a bed frame. It's stock angle iron for a bed, twin size. I have tried Titanium bits from Rigid and DeWalt and a black oxide from Milwaukee. Couple spins and nothing more. :puke:

Ideas? I need something that will drill 12+ holes, not shave the first layer off and quit.

Rent a MAGdrill and use American made HSS drill bits.....hot knife through butter. I've drilled ALOT of holes through tractor frame rails this way with zero issues.

Also.....for vertical up....I"ve used a hydraulic bottle jack to apply pressure on the back of the drill motor.....this works extremely well and pretty easy to manage

Last edited:
How fast you letting the drill spin?

using any oil?

Are they resharpened by hand?

I typically use standard bit you pick up out of the bin at hardware stores, so im guessing the quality on those is crap but they do the job usually for quite awhile.

The bigger the drill bit, the slower the speed. Real cutting oil helps, no WD-40. If the holes are bigger than 3/8 then a pilot hole will help too.

Now I transfer punch (whether is transferring or I want a hole tits on) pilot hole every hole with like 1/8", then I put lube down and do a 3/8 or so size, then lube and go whatever size I need.

Most the time I'll just do a pilot straight to the size I need for thin 1/8" stuff.

Any brand works fine.

a big 3/8" with no lube in thick steel ruins them real quick.

So, what bits do you use?

Metal I am trying to drill holes through: Rails for a bed frame. It's stock angle iron for a bed, twin size. I have tried Titanium bits from Rigid and DeWalt and a black oxide from Milwaukee. Couple spins and nothing more. :puke:

Ideas? I need something that will drill 12+ holes, not shave the first layer off and quit.

Most bed frames are made from spring steel. very hard and very hard to drill holes in. start with small pilot holes and work up slowly until you get the size you need. try heating the spots with a torch to take the temper out works as well.

Try a drill bit made for stainless and drill slow, or a carbide bit also drilled slow:awesomework:

Last edited:
Alot can be learned from this pic. The rail is from a semi (heat treated),Transfer punched the holes,Rapid-tap cutting fluid,Magdrill = Done.

Even if you had to unbolt the bed to get more room. I use a Magdrill at work so I just brought it home so no rental....but I feel it would be worth it if ya had to rent.

attachment.php

Most bed frames are made from spring steel. very hard and very hard to drill holes in. start with small pilot holes and work up slowly until you get the size you need. try heating the spots with a torch to take the temper out works as well.

Winner!:awesomework:

Alot can be learned from this pic. The rail is from a semi (heat treated),Transfer punched the holes,Rapid-tap cutting fluid,Magdrill = Done.

Even if you had to unbolt the bed to get more room. I use a Magdrill at work so I just brought it home so no rental....but I feel it would be worth it if ya had to rent.

attachment.php

That's a funny looking bed frame. Where do you put the mattress?:D

My torch is hella sharp.

If the rails are inded hardened, then drilling will suck. With bits being 2-5 buck each, why not just spend ten bucks on a hunk of mild steel angle iron?

Also just in general, since I bought a drill doctor, I stopped using cutting oil. The bits are so sharp they rarely heat up and if they do its hella easy to resharpen them. The only time I use MESSY cutting oil is if Im doing VERY thick stuff or lots of holes.

My torch is hella sharp.

If the rails are inded hardened, then drilling will suck. With bits being 2-5 buck each, why not just spend ten bucks on a hunk of mild steel angle iron?

Also just in general, since I bought a drill doctor, I stopped using cutting oil. The bits are so sharp they rarely heat up and if they do its hella easy to resharpen them. The only time I use MESSY cutting oil is if Im doing VERY thick stuff or lots of holes.

I'd still have to drill holes for the end brackets and the cross supports :-/
That was my plan originally, but I didn't want to have to worry about the end brackets and such. I also don't know where to get the angle iron. Home Depot doesn't carry it.

I'm going to go get new bits, HSS, some oil, and turn my Dewalt down. I think I had it at the fastest speed. I may also try and torch the spots a bit as well.

Mag drills are pricey, even used ones. And I don't think I can use one in this instance. There isn't enough surface to mount one.

Although, if I did have one, I could take up safe cracking, right?