• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

driveshaft tubing what do you run?

H

Handover Fist

I KOed my driveshaft at the rocks and I'm planning on building a bomb proof one. The yokes are fine but the tube is hashed. What are you wheelers using?

Toyota, dual cased, Buick 3.8 super. 37 iroks

I KOed my driveshaft at the rocks and I'm planning on building a bomb proof one. The yokes are fine but the tube is hashed. What are you wheelers using?

Toyota, dual cased, Buick 3.8 super. 37 iroks

Well theirs no such thing as BOMB proof. But Ive heard some :redneck:s Are using square tube. Or a steering shaft/PTO of a freight liner...

I just use 1.75 DOM.:fawkdancesmiley:

Dana 50 long side shaft, holds 1350 joints. Use your slip end for the other side.... :awesomework: This is about as good as it gets for tight areas... credit goes to S&N for this one.

Dana 50 long side shaft, holds 1350 joints. Use your slip end for the other side.... :awesomework: This is about as good as it gets for tight areas... credit goes to S&N for this one.

Thats a great little peace of info. I didnt know that,,,:awesomework:

I've got 2.5" schedual 80 pipe. and so far it's been holding up for me. It's got right around a 1/4 inch wall thickness. Had TB-F do the little bit of machining that was required to fit the stock toy yokes in.

:redneck:dont remember what size but me and some of the pirrat guys are running dom and had larry the fabricator mill it out turn it on the lathe....ive set the whole ass end on sharp rocks and turned it only to scratch the paint a bunch of times

larry is in grahm close to bobby.

I've seen this setup before, pretty creative use of leftover parts.

Wonder if it will work with a 60 long side. I'll find out tonight.

I've seen this setup before, pretty creative use of leftover parts.

Wonder if it will work with a 60 long side. I'll find out tonight.

Pictures please. :corn:

Doesnt work with a 60 shaft unless there are some other caps that fit a 1350 joint that are bigger. The cross looks about the right width though. Youd have to machine some grooves for the c clips too.

D44 front axle shaft....not a D50. The 297 caps are the same diameter as a 1350 cap. The 1350 body is wider therefore the CAPS would stick out of the D44 axle yoke by ~ .125 per side and this is where they would weld the cap INTO the yoke of the axle shaft.

Summary: The 1350 caps are welded into the D44 shaft so they are ONE unit.....clear?

I had a front D-line like this for a while but it bugged me as I worried about breaking "some part" of it and being ROYALY F'd. So.....my solution was to lop off the ears of the yoke,turn down the OD of the shaft (@ the ears) just enough to make it smooth for a couple inchs down the shaft.

Then I took this yokehttp://www.ringpinion.com/ProductDetails.aspx?ProdID=2074 and bored the splines out of the ID. Then machined it to an .003 INTERFERENCE fit to the shaft OD. I heated up the yoke(expanded) and dropped it onto the shaft,making sure it was timed to the other ends splines and welded it into place.

Now I have U-bolts @ both the pinion side and the shaft yoke for speedy field repairs

Very interesting stuff especially from you jeepmauler.

I ended up using 3 inch .250 wall DOM and have been told that it will take out the pinion and front t case output bearing because it's too heavy of a driveshaft. Is this true or complete bullshit?

D44 front axle shaft....not a D50. The 297 caps are the same diameter as a 1350 cap. The 1350 body is wider therefore the CAPS would stick out of the D44 axle yoke by ~ .125 per side and this is where they would weld the cap INTO the yoke of the axle shaft.

Summary: The 1350 caps are welded into the D44 shaft so they are ONE unit.....clear?

I had a front D-line like this for a while but it bugged me as I worried about breaking "some part" of it and being ROYALY F'd. So.....my solution was to lop off the ears of the yoke,turn down the OD of the shaft (@ the ears) just enough to make it smooth for a couple inchs down the shaft.

Then I took this yokehttp://www.ringpinion.com/ProductDetails.aspx?ProdID=2074 and bored the splines out of the ID. Then machined it to an .003 INTERFERENCE fit to the shaft OD. I heated up the yoke(expanded) and dropped it onto the shaft,making sure it was timed to the other ends splines and welded it into place.

Now I have U-bolts @ both the pinion side and the shaft yoke for speedy field repairs

Well Jeff I used a D44 shaft and welded the caps on on my rig and have not had any issues yet but I hear that a D50 shaft uses a 1350 joint... at least thats what a former S&N worker said. I could be wrong cause I personally did not use a D50. Sounds like you have a really nice shaft now man! :rb:

Very interesting stuff especially from you jeepmauler.

I ended up using 3 inch .250 wall DOM and have been told that it will take out the pinion and front t case output bearing because it's too heavy of a driveshaft. Is this true or complete bullshit?

At high speed thats a lot of mass turning. if its not balanced well it puts a lot of stress on the drivetrain. Only a issue at speed though so if you dont leave your hubs in on the road (between trails or whatever) then it shouldnt be a issue.

Well Jeff I used a D44 shaft and welded the caps on on my rig and have not had any issues yet but I hear that a D50 shaft uses a 1350 joint... at least thats what a former S&N worker said. I could be wrong cause I personally did not use a D50. Sounds like you have a really nice shaft now man! :rb:

Well.....something was lost in translation. A D50 PINION YOKE uses a 1350 U-joint...... a D50 AXLE SHAFT uses a 5-806X or your basic D60 U-joint.

And Yes.....ALL my shafts are DOPE!!

Myself I use whatever scrap I have leaning against the wall that fits the bill when I'm building a shaft.....IIRC my front shaft was built out of left over link material whaich I think was 1-3/4" .380 wall DOM...I ran a 3" .250 wall shaft on the front of my scout for a long time too with no problems but I didn't try to drive it very fast..