• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Dta360???

dirtygoat

OK, a guy on another board noticed the valve cover on my bus and told me it looked like a DTA360... I have no experience with these engines, so I did some research...

I found the plaque that had the info about the engine... It is in fact a DTA360 with 190hp...

Anyone have experience with these and want to hold my hand??? I'm a total newb...

I have read a bit and know that these can be turned up, but I would rather leave it alone if it will do the job... I really don't care if it takes a little more time to get somewhere, it's a bus...

School me on my School Bus Engine...

Sounds like your first order of business is to try it out....If it doesn't have enough power for you then turn it up a little....I'd install a pyrometer no matter what you do with it though.

Cool site.:haha:....it's actually mine.
There's a few youtube videos I also made that may help make it easier. Heading to Pismo anytime soon? I live in CA at the moment, and wouldnt mind doing it for you. You just need to drive fairly close to Modesto. I can walk you thru it as best I can otherwise. I have yet to hear a report that someone regrets doing these mods. I've had this site since 2003. It's still not going to be a fast bus, but this stuff makes it more pleasureable to drive, and not seem so slow. Plus, upping the timing usually gets it better mpg.:awesomework:
The DT360 is voted to be the absolute favorite for mechanics to work on(or not have to work on). Hard to kill, and a tough little sucker. It wont let you down.
EDIT time:
Now that I'm here, how do I get rid of the "Thornbirds rule" thing?:mad: I totally despise those .....I guess some people call em tires. Where's the edit signature line? Do I need more posts to activate those controls? I'm pretty used to this forum setup, but cant find what I need.

Last edited:
... It is in fact a DTA360 with 190hp...
but I would rather leave it alone if it will do the job... I really don't care if it takes a little more time to get somewhere, it's a bus...

It's 190 HP pulling how much weight? How well do you think it's going to work?:eeek:

Welcome aboard! I found your site a while back while working on a 3208 and needing some info. Great site, I have it bookmarked on my comp at work since we have Detroits, 3208, 3406B, DT466, & DT466E. Thanks for posting:awesomework:

As for the Thornbirds, you are stuck with them as they are tied to post count unless you donate to the Site to get a custom title.

There's a few youtube videos I also made that may help make it easier. Heading to Pismo anytime soon? I live in CA at the moment, and wouldnt mind doing it for you. You just need to drive fairly close to Modesto. I can walk you thru it as best I can otherwise. I have yet to hear a report that someone regrets doing these mods. I've had this site since 2003. It's still not going to be a fast bus, but this stuff makes it more pleasureable to drive, and not seem so slow. Plus, upping the timing usually gets it better mpg.:awesomework:
The DT360 is voted to be the absolute favorite for mechanics to work on(or not have to work on). Hard to kill, and a tough little sucker. It wont let you down.
EDIT time:
Now that I'm here, how do I get rid of the "Thornbirds rule" thing?:mad: I totally despise those .....I guess some people call em tires. Where's the edit signature line? Do I need more posts to activate those controls? I'm pretty used to this forum setup, but cant find what I need.

Thanks for setting up the site...

As far as this one goes, yuo only have certain privileges if you pay to help host it...

I'll be asking about things later on...

Welcome aboard! I found your site a while back while working on a 3208 and needing some info. Great site, I have it bookmarked on my comp at work since we have Detroits, 3208, 3406B, DT466, & DT466E. Thanks for posting:awesomework:

As for the Thornbirds, you are stuck with them as they are tied to post count unless you donate to the Site to get a custom title.

Chad, you know I'll come over with something I can't figure out eventually...:redneck:

Thanks for the help...:awesomework:

Ok, well, I'm a poor ol workin guy with 3 kids. I'm also trying to support my habits by selling injector/turbo packages for the 466E(up to 450hp). The other part is the diesel swap in my 67 F100, but that's a thread by itself.....whenever I get around to starting it. That just means I have to love Thornbirds for a while.

Bus weighed 16k stock... It will be pulling my trailer with the Blazer on it...

You'll be about the same power as a 1996 vintage Powerstroke or Cummins. Both of those trucks are turds empty not to mention pulling 20,000 lbs plus.......Your bus will get down the road just fine but don't be in a hurry to get anywhere and the right lane is your friend.:cheer:

You'll be about the same power as a 1996 vintage Powerstroke or Cummins. Both of those trucks are turds empty not to mention pulling 20,000 lbs plus.......Your bus will get down the road just fine but don't be in a hurry to get anywhere and the right lane is your friend.:cheer:

I wasn't planning on being in a hurry... The bus will surely beat the **** out of my 454 tbi swr chevy crew cab...

I'm gonna rebuild my trailer after the bus is done, so not sure how much that'll weigh... The Blazer weighs 5300 with both propane tanks, some gear/tools and a full cooler... Basically ready to wheel...

The bus will surely beat the **** out of my 454 tbi swr chevy crew cab......

I wouldn't assume that. Is something wrong with the 454? It should be about ~230 HP.....The Diesel may have a flatter power curve though and will definately take more abuse..Probably more gears too?

whats the torque that the bus puts out. I think that will better determine how well it pulls. diesels almost always have a low hp rating and a high tq compared to a gas

Latest posts