• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Dual Case Toyota - Carrier Bearing or not?

Dumpolina

94 Extra Cab, 22re 5spd
Geared to 4.88 with 33" (255/85/16 road tires).
Truck will remain IFS, has only maybe 2" rear lift
Still has the two piece rear shaft with carrier bearing and double cardan joint.

Plan to stay with w-56, forward shift case as crawl box, and add marlin doubler.
Truck is daily driver, and sees LONG highway use (Washington to New Mexico, Colorado 3X a year, Moab, BC, hopefully Yukon).

Will the addition of the second case screw up the geometry at the carrier bearing, in that shortening the forward portion of the shaft increases the angles at the case and forward portion of the carrier bearing (where there is no ujoint)?

Right now, the shaft is pretty straight from the case to the pinion through the carrier and double cardan.

I would ideally like to retain the carrier bearing type shaft, but is that asking for trouble, considering the mileage it sees? Seems like it'd be very difficult to accurately lower the carrier bearing mount in order to keep the shaft straight and square through the carrier bearing.

The goal is driveability within a reasonable cost... I don't want a filling rattling drive line

So my question:
- Is the change in angle at the carrier tolerable for the carrier without lowering it?
- Can forward shaft and rear shaft run smoothly at (minorly) different angles?
- Better to build a very well balanced one piece (long ass) rear shaft?

Thanks