• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Dual Sports?

Darby1

Anyone ride Dual sports? I want to buy an Italian made VOR 400 this week and was just wanting to ask around if anyone has any expierence with these bikes? I asked on cycle forums but haven't seen any replies yet. Their not a brand you see very often. I'm stoked to be able to ride a wheelie down the highway, jump the median, land in a stoppie and take off up a mountain trail! Rock Crawlers are sooo last year, stunt bikes are played out, street legal hooligan bikes are where its at! I've been looking at the KTM's too but these VOR's are rumored to be pretty fast and KTM's are a little spendy. And the all black looks sweet, like Ghost Rider, if you know who he is. There's not too many good spots around here to go dirt biking any more so I figured an Enduro style bike would make for some good exploration missions. And to the LEO's, good luck catching a dirt bike! kidding!

VOR is new to the game and i am weary of them. I am in the market for a dual sport right now too. Looking at new bikes, the only one that really peaks my fancy is the new KTM 690 enduro. :cool:

Used KTM dual sports can be had for pretty good prices, but if you have a few bucks, and want a REALLY nasty ride. go check out the Aprilia RVX 5.5 :D 85 hp in a 270lb wet package. Pikes peak winner, and re-****ing-diculous on the street. they are about 3k off MSRP at Ride motorsports in woodinville. right around $6500 for the 5.5, and $5500 for the 4.5.

How much do you weigh? how tall? that is a big consideration in picking a proper bike that you will be happy with.

I would be leary of parts availablity if you break... will it take 6 months to get a part?

The best 400 on the market today is KTM 400 EXC!!! If you want a pavement pounder with some gravel roads and trails get the Suzuki DRZ 400 less cost parts are every where and it will do everything you want it to do.

Last edited:
oh and Ron the Leo for Rieter has an enduro and he is getting better at riding it. so watch out:fawkdancesmiley:

I would be leary of parts availablity if you break... will it take 6 months to get a part?

The best 400 on the market today is KTM 400 EXC!!! If you want a pavement pounder with some gravel roads and trails get the Suzuki DRZ 400 less cost parts are every where and it will do everything you want it to do.

DRZ400's are heavy, and underpowered IMO. my sister plans on getting one. :haha:

Darby is a stunter and probably wants some decent power. KTM 400 would be pretty fun, but a 450/530 would be mucho bettah. :cool:

I know they're spendy, but since you're a former crotch rocket guy, my brother-in-law has a KTM 950 Adventure. He rides it all over, single track to Eastern Wa, up the Dempster highway, commuting into Seattle, all over. He's got a couple mods like pipes and things, and it flat rips....might be right up yer alley. He stayed at our place summer before last for a couple weeks and would ride it to work, every morning at 5 am I'd lie awake in the bedroom and listen to that thing for the couple miles I could hear him for, man it sounded right.:D

DRZ400's are heavy, and underpowered IMO. my sister plans on getting one. :haha:

Darby is a stunter and probably wants some decent power. KTM 400 would be pretty fun, but a 450/530 would be mucho bettah. :cool:

he was asking about 400's I was commenting on 400's there are better bikes out there the ktm 530 EXC :drooling1: :011:

as for the DRZ400 lets go for a ride sometime and try to keep up would yea :fawkdancesmiley:

yes 530 exc is the hot ****. :D I need to go ride a 690 enduro soon. they are 45 lb's heavier that the 530exc, but more hp, and a LOT more torque. Plus, its a 690 :cool: and they weigh under 300lbs.

Speed thrills? i dont need those anymore. totalling my street bike and laying in bed for 2 months was enough for me :haha: I'm sure darby feels similar, and thats why he is looking at the 400's. There are a couple KTM 400's for sale on CL right now. they are sweet fawkin bikes.

I wouldn't say no to a KTM 525 but a 400 sounds fine to me. I'm not looking for a power plant so much as I'm more interested in a bike I can throw around. I still want to be able to clutch up a wheelie from a stand still and do circles and the more powerfull heavy bikes will be harder to acomplish that on. I still want to do some mild stunting. I'm 6'2" and 200 pounds so we'll see how the 400 feels I guess.

The VOR is a risk but it might be the best of both worlds?

I wouldn't say no to a KTM 525 but a 400 sounds fine to me. I'm not looking for a power plant so much as I'm more interested in a bike I can throw around. I still want to be able to clutch up a wheelie from a stand still and do circles and the more powerfull heavy bikes will be harder to acomplish that on. I still want to do some mild stunting. I'm 6'2" and 200 pounds so we'll see how the 400 feels I guess.

The VOR is a risk but it might be the best of both worlds?

remember. the ktm's dont gain weight until you get up past the 530 EXC. the 530's are 245lbs. So all you are gaining is low range torque and high end power, not the fat of the other brands.

On the new 4 stroke ktm's, you dont really need to clutch them up. :haha: i dont know why they come with front tires :haha: the 530 exc's are rediculous machines, and ALOT of bike. I seriously hope you go ride a few bikes before you make your descision.

VOR would be a no go for me. two words. Parts availability.

When you need a little bracket after you toss it on the ground, some plastics, pretty much anything... you can find it for the main stream bikes. you dont wont to have to wait 3 months to get a 5 dollar part that keeps you from riding. also, its a first (or second?) year model bike from an unheard of brand, lacking any real testing AFAIK. once someone puts 100k miles on one, ill think about it. :awesomework: but so untested and such a cheap price means to me...... third world manufacturing, low strength alloys, cheap parts, loose tolerances. etc etc etc. I would be too sceptical to ride it hard.

I urge you to go ride some KTM's though. the KTM 400's are so much more bike the DRZ.

Dont trust us though, its all about what you feel fits you the best, for riding style and cost.

I rode a few different DRZ's when they first came out. They were OK. It seemed most owners were doing extensive mods trying to get more power out of them. Definitely a fun bike and I would jump on one if I could find one allready built and cheap. I like the look of the VOR though. Looks aren't everything but it does play in. I owned a Bandit 1200 when I was a kid. Awesome fast bike and it was ugly as hell, so eventually I just lost interest, didn't want to even look at that thing anymore. DRZ's look a little funny to me, like an old XR or something.

There are some good deals on CL right now on KTM's so if the VOR doesn't pan out I'll be looking at picking up a KTM instead. The new yamaha dual sports are sweet too. I rode a buddies 400 a few months back and he was complaining that he should have got the bigger motor but I found the power to be fun and enough for most riding. I don't need to pass or merge with traffic.

So for KTM's is the EXC mean Enduro? SXC means Super cross and MXC is motor cross? They come with different transmissions right? Like some have 4 speeds and some have 5 or 6. Anyone know?

Yamaha WR all the way :awesomework:

Ii bought a WR250R last spring and am copletely happy with it. the fusl injection makes a world of differance in perfrmance.

I my self am a big guy. 6'3" 300lb and i keep up with my buddys on 400's all the time.
I do not need a rocket or want one, I would probably kill my self if had another rocket to ride, so i decited on a 250cc. i ahve had mine up to 80mph in I5 with another gear t go. With 6 gears to burn throuth it is sick :011:

Yamaha sells a black out plastic kit that i wan to pick up and change the color to all black :cool:

Take a look at them, i do believe they are or have come out with a WR450R.

I took of the Motosport tires and put on some dirt tires.

WR250R002.jpg

If any one wants the Motosport tires let me know,, we can work some hing out.

remember. the ktm's dont gain weight until you get up past the 530 EXC. the 530's are 245lbs. So all you are gaining is low range torque and high end power, not the fat of the other brands.

On the new 4 stroke ktm's, you dont really need to clutch them up. :haha: i dont know why they come with front tires :haha: the 530 exc's are rediculous machines, and ALOT of bike. I seriously hope you go ride a few bikes before you make your descision.

VOR would be a no go for me. two words. Parts availability.

When you need a little bracket after you toss it on the ground, some plastics, pretty much anything... you can find it for the main stream bikes. you dont wont to have to wait 3 months to get a 5 dollar part that keeps you from riding. also, its a first (or second?) year model bike from an unheard of brand, lacking any real testing AFAIK. once someone puts 100k miles on one, ill think about it. :awesomework: but so untested and such a cheap price means to me...... third world manufacturing, low strength alloys, cheap parts, loose tolerances. etc etc etc. I would be too sceptical to ride it hard.

I urge you to go ride some KTM's though. the KTM 400's are so much more bike the DRZ.

Dont trust us though, its all about what you feel fits you the best, for riding style and cost.

Very good points Marc. I don't have very much on road expierence with KTM's, just some dirt rides on my friends MX bikes. I'm sceptical too because the VOR isn't a tried and true machine. But, it IS made with quality parts. Brembo brakes from the factory, Olines shock, and I think it has a chromoly frame. I asked the seller about parts and he said he has a place out of Oregon he orders them from. My problem is I'm an instant gratification type of guy so if I like it I'l take the gamble and buy it.

Also, good info on the KTM weight, didn't know the 525's and 530's weigh the same as a 400. :awesomework: I'm just on a $2500 budget and that is not quite enough for most used KTM's.

Damn, I'm sure excited to get back on a bike again though. Can't wait!!
I'd jump at the chance for a SuperMoto if the price is right too. Just limits my options with use.

oh, and :haha: to gasman......

No offense dude, but WR250's weigh 300 lbs wet, and are slow as crap with a fatty on them. i have ridden a wr250r modded up with supermoto wheels/tires,exhaust, jetted, intake mod bullplop, and it steered slow and felt heavy, and not nearly as lively compared to the newer ktms i have ridden, and in the power department :haha: not even close. 50lbs makes a big difference :D

but ill say it for the 25th time. go ride some bikes.

If you have a motorcycle endorsement, most of the dealers have demo bikes for you to take out and see what they feel like.

2006 ktm 400 EXC - 250.2 #
2008 ktm 530 EXC - 251.2 #

different years, but you see were im going with this. might as well have your cake and eat it too. :D

You couldn't give me a VOR. Good luck finding parts. And trust me, you'll need them.

Tell me more then, please. Do you have any expierence with VOR's or know anyone who has? I don't want your best guess, i want some facts. I can't go down to my local dealer for parts for my GasGas but it's still an awesome machine. I'm OK with ordering parts as long as I know the whole thing isn't a lemon.

Thanks guys!

i would be very skeptical of the vor for reliability and parts availability. you cant go wrong with a ktm their reputation for reliability is excellent. i have rode many ktm s and they handle well i prefer honda but if you have to have an enduro ktm or possibly yamaha wr450