• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Dumb bushing tech questions.

skipnrocks

I'm putting a new ls3 in my buggy. I am doing bushing mount instead of hard mount. I had to assemble the bushing mount (roughstuff specialties bushings in 2inch 1/4 Dom style). To check bolt location etc during mock-up and now I can't get the stupid things apart without damaging them. I have tried pliars punches screwdrivers vices and I can't get them apart without damage. Anyone have a better trick?

Not that it will help now but I had a buddy machine alum spacers to use instead of the bushing. One thing I did before the spacers was use urthane bushing grease on them to help when taking apart.

You can take another middle piece or bolt and press the tube out until you can grab with pliers then use a punch to push out the bushing.

Not that it will help now but I had a buddy machine alum spacers to use instead of the bushing. One thing I did before the spacers was use urthane bushing grease on them to help when taking apart.

You can take another middle piece or bolt and press the tube out until you can grab with pliers then use a punch to push out the bushing.
I should have greased them for sure. I tried a round punch and it just cut into it. I was tired when I was working otherwise I would have done it different. But now just trying not to destroy the stupid things

Sit them on the vice and use a punch to drive out the bolt collar, then the rubber should pry out with some work via pry bar. You will likely have to use a second punch to drive the first punch out of the collar.

is the metal bolt sleeve still inside the bushings? You need to get that out first like mentioned above, once that comes out you can usually push them out

I have clamped them in a vise and used a bolt head as a punch. The bolt head is larger so more surface area to reduce tearing and the smaller shank let's you get it in at more of an angle. I assume there is a gap between the two inside. Once you get one out the other is easy. Not sure ifnit would help at all but might freeze it first. Rubber doesn't have the same friction or flex cold and polly might be the same.

I always shoot them with wd40 before i slide them together. Then just beat them out later. Not real easy either way. Ive messed some up before myself

Got it all done. The bolt head did the trick, not much of a gap so I used a flanged head bolt and then put a punch jammed in there to keep it pushed into the crack and got them all out pretty quick without damage.

Latest posts