• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Educate me on re centered h1 wheels please

patooyee

Primarily interested in rockwell pattern centers. are the 3/8 ones durable or are they going to collapse the first time I roll? Is 6.5" backspacing possible? Where can I find some cheap h1's?

Do you want 6.5" BS? They come 7" BS stock, you can recenter to whatever you heart desires. Military surplus yards may have them, google search or get on pirate. I don't know where you are located, but a few guys selling them on there. They go for about $40-$50 a wheel with no tire. Best option is to find them local...they are heavy! Check out stazworks, don't know their pricing, but they recenter them to what you want.

3/8 should be ok on rocks, not alot of space between the lugs and rim. You can also cut out the stock centers and weld them in.

I've built a couple sets, mostly with pressed centers that are 3.5" max backspacing.

you can put the flat centers farther in, basically all the way out to where the factory wms was if you get the correct diameter center cut out.

You wont be able to change the studs if you weld the center that far in, not that it is a big deal, you could always swap the studs for bolts if you booger them up for some reason, or get your centers made with "relief holes" for the studs to pass through.

Trail-Worthy Fab sells pre-made wheels, and will even powder coat them for you. but they start to get pricey when you add up the options.

8 Bolt wheels have flimsy outer shells, MUST have rim stiffener/reinforcement

12 Bolt (or newer 24 bolt) wheels have heavy outer shells, much beefier.

Several places sell the PVC inserts. Staz/TWF/ or you can find a piece of PVC pipe and cut your own. Here is a thread i started on pirate discussing light weight insert options, Andy at TWF did some testing and I did some math http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1083795&highlight=

With the plate centers mouned as far in as you are wanting, I bet you could put some gussets on the inside to brace up the flat center. I'd think with as large as the bolt pattern is on a Rockwell, the centers wouldnt' be that bad to bend anyway.

Solidsolid_002.jpg

Ive got a badass set of 12 bolts i bought a while back they are what you are asking about with the thick ass centers whith the studs that go through them and they are factory offset i cant get pics to upload but if you guys want to post them for me ill text them to you 423-592-4181

Just texted you. Are you wanting to SELL them or just trying to help with pics?

I might sell these ive been keeping them for spares at the moment because i only have 3 ltbs at the moment i run 17/47/15s and luckily haven't had to use it yet. But im kinda scared to because these wheels are damn heavy.

Those centers are unnecessarily thick and heavy. But we may be able to work something out? I would be selling five 47x17x17 LTB's with four 17" Staz double beadlocks, 10" wide with 6.5" BS.

A few people locally have used 2-12 bolt backhalves to build a 14" wide H1 wheel. We then have MudPro Metalworks (local) to cut out a 3/8 center that bolts between the 2 halves & uses 2 orings with stock studs.

1 guy is running them 14" wide (2 stock backhalves) with 44" PBR & stazworks inserts. Another is running them, but he cut the outer half down to make a 12" wide wheel & was running 47 LTBs with staz centers. Neither of these have leaked any air in multiple years.

With this setup the bolts clamp the wheel and center together, and they have had no issues beating on them.

You could also put the center behind the inside flange, run a stock outer or another backhalf on the front side. Doing this you would only need 1 oring, could also weld the center in plus but the bolts/studs through it for extra strength, and run a stock insert with std front side. It would be the cheapest and most narrow setup possible.

FYI, these are only possible with 12/24 bolt wheels. 8 bolts use a tapered seat and require a weld in center only.

I will try to get some pics of the wheels up tonite.

paradisepwoffrd said:
I will try to get some pics of the wheels up tonite.

Please. I've played a little with 8-stud wheels but it sounds like the 12's are a different animal. I did not realize how different they were.

Re: Re: Educate me on re centered h1 wheels please

Here are the only pics i could find. Not the best but the center is sandwiched between the 2 wheel halves. These are 2 stock backhalves bolted together using stock studs. Hubs out. The studs are installed facing the inside.

a6f854cb-eefa-dc18.jpg

a6f854cb-ef43-7b77.jpg

a6f854cb-ef69-63bb.jpg

Sent via telegraph

Here are what teh backhalves look like. The flange on the 12/24 bolt wheels is flat with an o-ring groove around the outside of each half. When you put the center between the halves, you will need to seal up each side. We have used an oring on each side with great luck, but I would bet silicone or urethane sealant on the flanges would do the trick also.

The center bolt pattern is around 12" so there is only 3-4" between the wheel pattern and stud pattern. Hard to bend 3/8 there.

p-17529.jpg

That's cool as ****. I don't need a wheel that wide but may still use the bolted on center plate idea. Thank you very much for sharing.

paradisepwoffrd said:
btw... all these wheels were running ~7" BS with hubs out.

patooyee said:
That's cool as ****. I don't need a wheel that wide but may still use the bolted on center plate idea. Thank you very much for sharing.
I agree! Seems like a great way to get the BS you need. Heck, if you decide to sell, just take out the center plates and sell separately or move them over to the next set! Shazam :afro: