• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

EFI Fuse Blowing

mudmaster

2000 4Runner, 3.4. As soon as the ignition key is turned it blows the 20A fuse under the hood. Anyone have any ideas what it may be?

It had a small fire 2 weeks ago that burned/melted some EVAP system vacuum hoses and some wiring. I just fixed/replaced all of that. It was starting and running fine prior to me fixing it, but was throwing a code for EVAP sensor.

Last edited:
Get a schematic. Start unplugging individual items in circuit until you don't pop the fuse. Then you can focus on that area.

Yeah. it's gotta be a bad ground somewhere. I'm guessing..........
Does it instantly blow it as soon as the key is switched on? A bad ground will not blow a fuse (a poor ground may eventually cause excess heat at a connection and melt something, but it won't blow a fuse)...a SHORT to ground will. I'm betting there's a damaged sensor somewhere in the Evap sensor circuit, possibly caused by the fire. Or like was said before, the repair was not so good...

Does it instantly blow it as soon as the key is switched on? A bad ground will not blow a fuse (a poor ground may eventually cause excess heat at a connection and melt something, but it won't blow a fuse)...a SHORT to ground will. I'm betting there's a damaged sensor somewhere in the Evap sensor circuit, possibly caused by the fire. Or like was said before, the repair was not so good...

Not exactly, it blows once the key is turned to start. There is a sensor that had a melted connector on the wiring side. This connector and the wiring were replaced. I did find another sensor in the system, but haven't checked it out yet.

Last edited:
This is exactly what it's doing. There is a sensor that had a melted connector on the wiring side. This connector and the wiring were replaced. I did find another sensor in the system, but haven't checked it out yet.
Did you replace the sensor too? I bet the sensor is what caused the original melting...Shorted to gnd...

Did you replace the sensor too? I bet the sensor is what caused the original melting...Shorted to gnd...

No I haven't. The actual cause was gear oil coming out of the front diff breather onto the exhaust manifold.