• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Elbe 5/15-5/17

Fordzuki

Zuk Hoarder
Went up to Elbe friday after work to camp out and wheel for the weekend. I got there around 4:30, set up camp, and ran the sunrise out and back, waiting on Nate to get there. I picked up a passenger at the start of the mainline.:redneck:, which was a 3' plastic frankenstein halloween decoration, riddled with bullet holes. Nate showed up around 9, and after he set up camp, we headed out and ran the alder loop and the inner alder, then headed back to camp on the mainline, where Nate proceeded to bury himself in the big mudhole near the busy entrance. Luckily he had stopped when it started getting deep, cause I just backed up to the back of him and yanked him out. We ran the sunrise back to camp and called it a night.

Pat had shown up friday night, but due to starter problems related to the 2.0 liter swap, his sami stayed on the trailer till saturday morning when we decided to just pull start it and leave it running.
When everyone had woken up and eaten saturday morning, we took a stroll up the road to the rock pit, running just the short seperate section of the rainier vista, playing around on the rocks a little, and checking out the view from the goat trail. :cool: From here, we headed back down the road to the gotcha, and ran that back to the 9 road, where my rig decided to have carb problems. :mad: Nate towed me back to camp, where it started right up. :rolleyes:

After hanging out for a bit, we decided to take another run, which started out with the sunrise. Dogboy had left by then, so it was just the 3 zooks. We were cruising along just fine when I noticed smoke around my hands on the steering wheel. :haha: I looked under the dash just in time to see the coil around the temp sender wire going up in pretty blue, white and yellow flames, only to turn to full blown flames seconds later. :eeek: I grabbed the fire extinguisher and shot the FIRST fire, then went to the hood to pull the battery cables. Oh good, more fire. :redneck: I doused that one and quickly got the terminals off the battery. Well, not wanting to rewire in the middle of the trail, we got it turned around with a little help (and of course an equal share of hinderance) from a few toyota guys. Drug it back to camp, and after cooking up some beer brats for dinner, I got to work rewiring it by lantern. I lucked out and only the alternator wire got damaged under the dash, which was the ultimate cause of the short. It had been rubbed through by the temp guage wire, then shorted on it, causing the whole mess. the ignition wire running to the starter relay was what got hot under the hood, and also caught the headlight and fan wires, but that was the extent, and after completely replacing the alternator wire, and patching in the others, I was ready for the trail again by 11pm saturday night. :D We went out and ran the alder loop up to the mainline, and through the easy wild, running the roads back down to the inner alder on the way back to camp.

Sunday morning, my dad showed up around 9am, we had some coffee, Pat packed up and headed for home, and after breaking camp, we headed off to tackle the busywild...........

We started out at around noon, with me in my rig, my dad in his ranger, and Nate, his nephew Brenden, and dog Gage in his sami. We were doing good, and I was dissapointed at some of the old trail that had been closed off since last fall. Right in the first 200 yards or so, theres a BIG stump on the left you have to dance around and over, and my dad managed to shear the valvestem off the left rear with a piece of wood that was floating in the water. We had a spare, so it was only a matter of breaking the front bead, rebuilding my compressor after it's fall in the water the day before, and waiting the 30 minutes for 10 psi. :mad: Not bad though, got moving again, and made it almost down to the back section with all the mudholes, when Nate stops and says his tcase shifter is swinging around. :mad: The drivers side arm had ripped nearly in two, and was held together still with about an inch of steel. I ratchet strapped it up around the arm and case, holding it together, for now. We were about halfway through the bypass when all hell broke loose on Nate's case, and it was decided the best thing was to drag him out. Right off the bat I snapped a rear axle, not even really sure how it happened, just looked back and I was dragging the right rear.
I ended up having to drag him through to the bridge with the winch, then hooking on again and gave her hell. We had some trouble getting up the hill on the other side of the bridge, we'd be going along good and Nates tire would hit a root or something and we;d come to a stop. Once we got so far up the hill, I turned around and winched him up the rest of the way till my battery died. Luckily, Nate had a yellow top in his, cause it was getting dark at this point and we still had a few nasty spots to get through. I stole his battery and we were off again. At about 9pm, Nate said ****it, and told my dad to push from the rear with the ranger, which sped things up quite a bit, but also cost Nate a tailgate, and freaked Gage out a little, who was sitting in the back. :haha: We'd get up to an obstacle, and just for the fact that I was anchored to him, I couldn't make it through, so my dad would nudge him forward to give me some slack, I'd get through the obstacle, then just as nate would get caught up, my dad would punt him through. :haha:

We came out at the spur road right at 10pm, and I drug him back on the roads to the campgrounds, where I loaded up the LJ, and headed for home to drop it off. My dad followed me home since he had knocked a headlight out on Nate's rig, and when we got back, I told him to stay home, and headed back up to grab Nate and his rig. Everything else went smoothly, and we pulled into my driveway at 3:30 this morning, only to get a couple hours sleep, take a shower, and head off to work.

Overall, the best gawldamn wheeling trip EVER! :redneck:
Now I gotta slap an axle in so I can be ready to do it again 2 weeks from now.

I'll get some pics of the weekend up here tonight sometime.

Ok, here's the pics. This weekend was a great example of what wheeling means to me. Good friends getting together and working through whatever the day throws at you, all in the name of fun. Even when fun turns to assholes and elbows in a heartbeat. :D

This was dinner friday and saturday night for me. Simple and effective. Beer brats on potato buns and Beaver honey mustard and ketchup. :awesomework:
(and the table as a plate :redneck: )
100_1029.jpg

Saturday morning at the rock pit.
100_1032.jpg

100_1034.jpg

100_1035.jpg

100_1036.jpg

Some views from the rock.
100_1038.jpg

100_1039.jpg

100_1040.jpg

100_1041.jpg

Funny how even these kinds of "bad" trips are still fun and stay with you. I had a similar trip (being the pusher) years ago in the manashtash. We pulled and pushed a broken rig from past region 4 meadows through the shoestring and all the way out through lilly pond and Milk creek. started about 1:00 in the afternoon and got to the road at around 11:00

more.....

100_1042.jpg

Dogboy shot a panorama series...
100_1043.jpg

100_1044.jpg

100_1045.jpg

100_1046.jpg

100_1047.jpg

100_1048.jpg

100_1049.jpg

Gotcha.
100_1050.jpg

100_1053.jpg

Wiring by lantern.
100_1054.jpg

Using the remnants of Pats old harness before the 2.0L swap
100_1055.jpg

Easywild that night.
100_1057.jpg

100_1059.jpg

The start of a very long day sunday.
100_1060.jpg

100_1061.jpg

100_1062.jpg

100_1063.jpg

100_1064.jpg

100_1065.jpg

And then....
100_1066.jpg

100_1067.jpg

100_1068.jpg

100_1069.jpg

100_1074.jpg

100_1076.jpg

100_1077.jpg

100_1078.jpg

Anybody know why the rock side was closed on this hill?
Right about here my camera died, and shortly thereafter there was no time for pics anyway.

Good times. :awesomework:

Last edited:
I thought you might have gotten back to camp at 2:00, and got home by 3:30. I didn't think you would have had to go back to pick up Nate!
At least it will be a memorable trip!

I'll take those pics I took and make them into the panorama tomorrow in Photography! Then I'll post it up too. Everybody else took one from the front of the school with powerlines and tree in the way. I think mine will be better :fawkdancesmiley: .

On a side note, I hope you dad can use those drop brackets. Like I said, I "believe" they are 3" drop, but I'm not positive, might only be 2" drop.
And, did you guys happen to find the strap when you unloaded your stuff? I see it in one of those pictures, but I think that way the first hole, not the second hole.

Funny how even these kinds of "bad" trips are still fun and stay with you. I had a similar trip (being the pusher) years ago in the manashtash. We pulled and pushed a broken rig from past region 4 meadows through the shoestring and all the way out through lilly pond and Milk creek. started about 1:00 in the afternoon and got to the road at around 11:00

It's really satisfying when you get to the gravel after 10 hours on a trail. The funnest part, I think, was that Nate's nephew had never experienced wheeling quite like this, he's too young to drive now, but giving him experience like this before he actually has to use it, and a hell of a story to tell at school today. :haha:

I thought you might have gotten back to camp at 2:00, and got home by 3:30. I didn't think you would have had to go back to pick up Nate!
At least it will be a memorable trip!

I'll take those pics I took and make them into the panorama tomorrow in Photography! Then I'll post it up too. Everybody else took one from the front of the school with powerlines and tree in the way. I think mine will be better :fawkdancesmiley: .

On a side note, I hope you dad can use those drop brackets. Like I said, I "believe" they are 3" drop, but I'm not positive, might only be 2" drop.
And, did you guys happen to find the strap when you unloaded your stuff? I see it in one of those pictures, but I think that way the first hole, not the second hole.

Yeah, he'll be able to use them, I just need to find some xj coils for him now too.
I still haven't unloaded my stuff, and I was trying to think of where you used it. I know the one where I ended up pulling you and nate out of the hole simultaneously, you were using the red strap. I'm gonna get out there tomorrow and sort everything out and I'll let you know.

It was around the corner from there. Nate tried pulling me, and it didn't work, so I had to winch.
You and Pat may have continued on, or not walked back, I don't know.

Sounds like a typical day/night/morning in the Busy Wild. Those are always good memories.

Well, I pulled the rear axle tonight to find it intact and looking new. :eeek: So I dug deeper and found this. :haha:

100_1079.jpg

100_1080.jpg

100_1082.jpg

100_1083.jpg

That's what they call a fozzie locker in the zuk world. Kinda hokey, but really the only way to do it with the way the carriers are. In reality, they've held up to some crazy abuse. The only damage was the side gear sheared at the bearing, then ate the splines out of the gear side only. The bearing side was still splined onto the shaft, and the shaft still looks new. :haha: One of the pins was tough to pull out, and the pinion bearing is fawked from playing on the rockpile up at the top. I'm pretty sure I have another third to drop in there after I weld up the sides again.