• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Elbe Hills Rock Crawl - help needed

Gibby1

Did I BREAK that.......
Hey guys, I need some help at Elbe, here's what we have going.

I've worked with the DNR to approve both a rock crawl at the end of the 9 road and to turn the relatively lame Rainier Vista into a hardcore technical trail like equal to the busywild. However, these projects fall outside the scope of the grants that they have for the area. I'm hoping to find a loophole but it doesn't look good for quite some time as far as the finances go. So here's where we need the help.

I guestimate that we're going to need about $5k to $10k to do this all up right. Rocks and boulders are darn expensive both to buy and deliver, then of course you need to put them where you want them once you get them there.

I need to know if someone with a little extra time and some contacts can help me raise the money to make this happen. This role will involve trying to get donations, maybe running a car wash, show and shine, bake sale, whatever to help raise some money. Maybe arrange to help Steve with one of his mud drag events to raise some money.

The USFS is going to put tire restrictions on there land in the near future and everyone with bigger tired rigs is going to have use DNR land, that's Walker Valley, Reiter, Tahuya and Elbe. Evan's Creek and the Naches trail system are going to be unusable by the guys with big tires. We need to develop some additional difficult trails at Elbe and it's been some work convincing Nancy to let us do so - if we can find the money for the materials.

We can't reroute the Rainier Vista Trail but we can rework it within the existing trail corridors. That means digging holes, creative placement of obstacles etc. Given the long, relatively steep hill climb gives us a great place to start with. It also has good access to that road in the case of mechanical breakage, unlike the busywild where once you go it, it's a LONG way back out if you break.

Is there someone that would be interested in helping out with this? I would really like to get the rocks moved out there before the winter, even if we don't get them in place until the spring.

Please post up comments, suggestions and especially, if you're willing to volunteer to help out.

when did tire size restictions on FS land become a reality? I hear some talk now and then but nothing official by any means. as for the rocks there is a guy on the board that goes by turtle lives in packwood or randle and has access (or did) to big rocks I believe he is also a member of the swamp stompers club.

Dale. Talk to GaryTJ. He has some ideas for that. I've got too much on my plate to help with this rock crawl thing you are talking of.

Though that section at the end of the 9 road could get very interesting with a little help. Not even any material. A day with an excavator could turn that one wall into something VERY hard.

As for the ranier vista, why not find an adopt a trail group and have them take care of it? There are plenty of financial resources at elbe to "maintain" the trails. I know with the rest of the rock for the sunrise, I want to place it to make a few more "fun" sections.

when did tire size restictions on FS land become a reality? I hear some talk now and then but nothing official by any means. as for the rocks there is a guy on the board that goes by turtle lives in packwood or randle and has access (or did) to big rocks I believe he is also a member of the swamp stompers club.

It's my understanding that the tire size restriction is already in the plan, but the specifications (limits) have not been determined, nor has it been implemented. At some of the PNW meetings it's been brought up that this is part of a National Plan and has been implemented in other states and is coming west... When, where and exactly how, I've not heard. I've only heard that it WILL happen and last I heard, it was within the next couple of years, not decades.

Dale. Talk to GaryTJ. He has some ideas for that. I've got too much on my plate to help with this rock crawl thing you are talking of.

Though that section at the end of the 9 road could get very interesting with a little help. Not even any material. A day with an excavator could turn that one wall into something VERY hard.

As for the ranier vista, why not find an adopt a trail group and have them take care of it? There are plenty of financial resources at elbe to "maintain" the trails. I know with the rest of the rock for the sunrise, I want to place it to make a few more "fun" sections.

The Faithwheelers are wanting to adopt that trail, although we haven't completely decided between Rainier Vista and Gotcha. However, we are a very small club with no money behind us. It's the "Maintain" part that's hurting us because the DNR may not see this as maintaining... However, with the work we did this year on the Swamp Trail and the Busywild, we saved a ton of money on materials and helicopter costs, not to mention kept the trails a lot more fun than they would have been. I'm not sure it's the dollars that's the problem, more that it might not fit into the scope of the M&O grant guidelines.

With all the maintenance that the Tamers have done on the sunrise, we have PLENTY of material left over to further "develop" the trail.

Just an FYI. I don't know how much grant money Elbe has, but so far on our trail, we have built 2 bridges, orderd 2 truckloads of "4 man" rocks and one truck load of "2 man" rocks. Every time, I told Nancy the what and when, and she delivered. :awesomework:

With all the maintenance that the Tamers have done on the sunrise, we have PLENTY of material left over to further "develop" the trail.

Just an FYI. I don't know how much grant money Elbe has, but so far on our trail, we have built 2 bridges, orderd 2 truckloads of "4 man" rocks and one truck load of "2 man" rocks. Every time, I told Nancy the what and when, and she delivered. :awesomework:

Nancy has been VERY cool about everything we've done and wanted done so far at Elbe.

However, we're talking about taking a 2/5 trail to a 5/5 trail and adding and entirely new area. She's OK on the ideas but feels that the scope of the work will fall outside the limitations of the grant.

We're asking for at least 3 truck and transfer loads of 4 and 5 man rocks. Dump them all in the pit area for storage while we get them put in place over the next year or so.

Stupid question time, for me.

Where are these trails you're talking about? I have a fairly good sized truck, that can haul almost anything. If I can get a good hitch, correct Ball size, and be able to figure out my wiring, I can probably drag most of what you might need, with the correct trailer.

Let me know how I can help.

Stupid question time, for me.

Where are these trails you're talking about? I have a fairly good sized truck, that can haul almost anything. If I can get a good hitch, correct Ball size, and be able to figure out my wiring, I can probably drag most of what you might need, with the correct trailer.

Let me know how I can help.

The quarries that I'm talking with are in the Eatonville or Orting area and the materials need to go to Elbe Hills ORV Park which is on the south side of Mt Rainier. These rocks are about 3-5' in diameter EACH and a single rock can weigh a couple tons. Hauling these on a trail to and from Elbe is a little much BUT, once we get them there, moving them from a storage area to the trail site... a big truck with a strong trailer would be PERFECT.

Billy with the tamers has a dump truck and an excavator one size bigger than Jasons.

Is it a 5 or 10 yrd dump truck? It would be nice to have a 5 yrd truck that can back in the top of Rainier Vista. There's a great spot at the top of the hill climb to dump rocks and let them slide down the hill and see where the end up.

It's pretty much a straight shot out of there on flat ground once you hit the top.

I really like this idea. I will help anyway i can to make this happen.i picked up another contract for my business and as soon as i catch back up i wouldnt mind donating cash to help.

5... 10 I dunno. It's big. The same size as those double haulers you see on the roads.

Hmmm, we could save ourselves a TON of money if he would be willing to volunteer the time to haul rock. I'm sure that I could get the diesel paid for. Can you PM me some contact info for him?

A lot of you have been to or seen the obstacles at the Faithwheelers 4x4 events we used to put on - before we got shut down... It'll be the same kind of technical difficulty as the Tuff Truck course and Buggy Hill, as we called them. It could be a blast to design and build, not to mention test and drive.

I've been trying to forward to Nancy some pics of people on their favorite obstacles so that she gets a better idea about what the NW Wheeler wants. This trail will be well marked as a hardcore trail and I think that will aleviate her fears of people getting on the trail unprepared (like what's been known to happen on the busy).

I dont have money or muscle to help, but I have a little experience on making trails more difficult. I can borrow a little Kabota tractor 4x4 ........leave me alone for an hour or two and I'm sure I can **** up your friendly trail.......I mean fix it.

Give me a call if I can be of any assistance 253 223-2722 Robin

I dont have money or muscle to help, but I have a little experience on making trails more difficult. I can borrow a little Kabota tractor 4x4 ........leave me alone for an hour or two and I'm sure I can **** up your friendly trail.......I mean fix it.

Give me a call if I can be of any assistance 253 223-2722 Robin

LOL I was expecting you to perk up Robin, since you'd actually FIT on this trail. The nice thing about Rainier Vista is that it's also full size friendly... or even Robin size friendly.

what about pulling rocks out of the pit up the road where everybody shoots??
thats where the rock for the road came from originally way back when.:D

I know we can get this done ....we just need to have a meeting to put our thoughts together and figure out what and how to go about it. LETS DO THIS!!!!!!!!:awesomework:

what about pulling rocks out of the pit up the road where everybody shoots??
thats where the rock for the road came from originally way back when.:D

Hmmm, I hadn't thought about that idea. I don't recall many big rocks there but if we had a decent size excavator and a dump truck I'm sure that we could significantly reduce the costs...

I'll ask!