• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Elbe Trail Use Trailer Build

my .02.

That 3" channel frame is too light for serious rock/gravel duty. But general trail debris, building materials and clean-ups ought to be fine.

Cut it down to 5 or 6' or so and double up the 3" and you might be able to load it up with rock. Adding the 3" uprights will add a ton of weight. 2" tube or pipe will do the same thing and be a ton lighter.

Weld the axle to the frame, then get big, floaty tires. For trail use that should be fine.

That should work out great...

The day after the last work party, Dirk called me about some military trailers that were getting auctioned off... We talked about doing the same angled sides and bending some pipe sliders for the tires...

It's crazy that you're building the same thing...:beer:

By the time you cut/clean off the army box to suit its almost easier to start fresh. Come by and check it out.:beer:

Pretty much.:awesomework:

Brad, cool idea:awesomework: I have a Lunette ring at the shop you can have. It's the style that mounts inside 2" channel w/ 2 thru bolts. I might even hook you up with a hyd pump for the dump if you can scrounge a cyl.
Perfect, Ill be getting that ring asap, or just drop it by and BS. The hydro would sure make it nice, but we are going for simple. As few moving parts that need grease as possible. You know all about maintainence or lack of.

It needs to be shortened a bit... How long are you thinking Brad???

I am going for cheap/free and easy. The frame looks to be perfect to me. I dont think Im gonna change anything yet. The army trailer are bigger yet.

my .02.

That 3" channel frame is too light for serious rock/gravel duty. But general trail debris, building materials and clean-ups ought to be fine.

Cut it down to 5 or 6' or so and double up the 3" and you might be able to load it up with rock. Adding the 3" uprights will add a ton of weight. 2" tube or pipe will do the same thing and be a ton lighter.

Weld the axle to the frame, then get big, floaty tires. For trail use that should be fine.

Im pretty sure it will handle it. Most 7K trailers are 3 inch channel and twice as long.
2 inch pipe or tube is not free yet. The angle and trailer and lunette ring are free.

I just need a bunch of plate or plate scraps for the bottom.

The day after the last work party, Dirk called me about some military trailers that were getting auctioned off... We talked about doing the same angled sides and bending some pipe sliders for the tires...

By the time you cut/clean off the army box to suit its almost easier to start fresh. Come by and check it out.:beer:

Luey & I were talking about this trailer...

26675774.jpg

There is no box to cut off...same thing that Corey has, but a little newer. I think these are perfect...add some plate to the bottom, add some side rails & nerf guards...it even comes with 2 spare tires.

:awesomework:

that army trailer will hold some rock for sure....if he welds sheet steal to the 3 inch it will sturdy it up nice.....but id go easy on the rock loads ....im not a fab guy but a guy who handles logs dirt and rock ..seen alot of broken steal

What's the deal with the wheels under the tongue??? Do they fold out of the way??? I don't remember seeing those on your trailer when I saw it... Are they just to stop the weight from busting the pole thingy you made???

What's the deal with the wheels under the tongue??? Do they fold out of the way??? I don't remember seeing those on your trailer when I saw it... Are they just to stop the weight from busting the pole thingy you made???

They fold up out of the way...it's a jack. You have to drop the wheels to unhook then hook up the draw bar..

Haven't had the chance yet. I think it will work with a good amount of weight in it though...I hope.

I've been working on a gin pole idea to load the rocks into the trailer... Your tilt could work good for getting them out...

My idea is to have the a-frame mount over the axles with pivot points and lower out the back... Then after a rock is hooked up use a winch to pull it back toward the tongue into the bed of the trailer... As the a-frame is getting pulled back it will raise up lifting the rock and land it in the trailer... There would have to be a headache rack type of stop at the bulkhead/tongue area to stop the a-frame from going to far... Hope that makes sense...

I've been working on a gin pole idea to load the rocks into the trailer... Your tilt could work good for getting them out...

My idea is to have the a-frame mount over the axles with pivot points and lower out the back... Then after a rock is hooked up use a winch to pull it back toward the tongue into the bed of the trailer... As the a-frame is getting pulled back it will raise up lifting the rock and land it in the trailer... There would have to be a headache rack type of stop at the bulkhead/tongue area to stop the a-frame from going to far... Hope that makes sense...

Sounds like it would be a time consuming process but it would let a guy be self contained and not have to rely on other equipment. Could be usefull.:awesomework:
With a trailer tilted like in my pic you could probably just winch/ drag a rock right into the trailer....Fairly flat and level ground would be needed though.

Latest posts