• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Electric Cutoff Tool?

tilt

I am looking for an Electric Cutoff Wheel.

This is exactly what I am looking for:
http://www.harborfreight.com/120-volt-3-high-speed-cut-off-tool-68523.html

.....But not harbor freight. Are there any reputable brands that make this tool? (don't get me wrong, I love harbor freight - but I reserve their power tools for one-time-use type projects)

BTW, I already have a Milwaukee Angle Grinder that I use for cutting. It works great, but a tool like the HF would work better in some situations.

I bought that HF one when they first came out about a year ago, works great. cuts more consentant than air, doesnt bogg down like the air ones will. I now use my grinders for grinding.

I bought that HF one when they first came out about a year ago, works great. cuts more consentant than air, doesnt bogg down like the air ones will. I now use my grinders for grinding.

Well, I guess I will pick one up. The reviews on the HF website were pretty mixed... with lots of complaints about the breaker popping.

I did find this: http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/IN...4NLR1&ef_id=14pOJhtY9k0AAA09:20120510222738:s

It looks totally badass, but mega-bucks.

Makita does or atleast did make and electric die-grinder that would do the same thing. I'm sure Milwaukee makes one as well. Be more $$ than the HF, but in theory better made. For $25 however it might not be a bad try. I know my HF electric shears seem to work pretty good, but I've had other HF electric stuff that has been hit to miss. Usually crappy switches or cords.

My HF oscillating cutter thing works great. To the point that if it does ever die I'll probably buy a better brand to see if its nicer to use.

What are you cutting? Brake lines or welding rod?

The only thing I use mine for is cutting spot welds loose that I dont want to ruffhouse.

They are much larger (at least the makita one) than the comparable air die grinder.

The arbor gets in the way of cutting a tack loose inside of a 90 degree junction too.

Well, I am going to be building a bumper out of 3/16 plate (lots of angles and such). I have a dewalt 14" chopsaw and the angle grinder. The floor saw works great for long peices. And the angle grinder works well in general, but the position of the blade gives less control, thus wanting something without the right angle since i have quite a few smaller cuts to make.

I would get a plasma, but its not in the budget at the moment.

I live in a condo, so cutting metal in the garage is already loud enough, don't need to piss off the neighbors (any more than i already do) with my small air compressor that is overly-loud and always running.

Get a cutting torch. They are stealth quiet.

Way more usefull than a plasma too.

Plasmas cut.

Torches cut, heat, shrink, bend, unstuck, etc. A torch is a valuable tool.