• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Electric Fan Placement Push or Pull?

If you honestly believe that the same fan ran either as a pusher or a puller will provide the same cooling results than you are grossly misinforemd, sorry.
Wait a minute there sparky, who said anything about the same fan? Now you're into a different discussion, one about blade design and how they're only efficient in one direction. I ASSumed a proper blade for either direction of flow, because (duh) anybody with a brain knows you can't reverse polarity on a puller and get reasonable results.

So, assuming a proper fan in both configurations, you still say a pusher is less efficient than a puller (by a non trivial margin)?

The fan I have can be set up for either a pusher or puller.
Oh... YOU said something about the same fan :emb:

What do you mean by this? Are you talking about just reversing polarity, or also actually reversing the fan itself on the motor?

See post above, if you're just doing polarity, the fan will be far less efficient running backward. Don't bother.

Holy Crap! Sorry I asked, even after all that, i still don't know which is better, my brain is bouncing around after reading that NERDO TECH TALK.

Thanks though.
:awesomework:

puller fan. go to pull a part and get a big puller fan off a 3.8litre ford taurus they kick ass and cost about 20bucks I have one I will sell you for $30. then you just get the electrics to hook it up. There is a how to in pirate 4x4s tech bible on this.

Holy Crap! Sorry I asked, even after all that, i still don't know which is better, my brain is bouncing around after reading that NERDO TECH TALK.

Thanks though.
:awesomework:

Trying to push air through a radiator is not as efficient as pulling it through. It doesn't cool near as well.

I would go with the biggest fan you can fit than if you have the room make it a puller which means mount the fan on the engine side of the radiator.... than of course after you hook it up make sure it blows air toward the engine... after that set the thermostat at 190 on and 180 off you can use an override switch if you like. the way I set mine up is on a toggle. while driving down the road you dont need a fan so I just turn mine on at the start the trail and turn it off at every water crossing.. by the way I have mine set up as a pusher and have never had a problem

Trying to push air through a radiator is not as efficient as pulling it through. It doesn't cool near as well.
You and Brad both, explain, or I'll devise an implement with which to inflict on you a moderately painful, mildly psychologically damaging, and just down right smelly quasi doom, with a mime, Hillary Clinton's heterosexual alter ego, and an unusually buxom Adam Sandler impersonator.

You and Brad both, explain, or I'll devise an implement with which to inflict on you a moderately painful, mildly psychologically damaging, and just down right smelly quasi doom, with a mime, Hillary Clinton's heterosexual alter ego, and an unusually buxom Adam Sandler impersonator.

When I had this:

SUNP0005.gif

More air came out from the sides of the fan than went through the radiator...

When you have a fan blowing into a radiator core, the air hits it and wants to spread out sideways, like if you were blowing a fan at a table. Since some air gets thought the core from the holes... it cools, but not as well as a puller with a shroud, which pulls 100% of the air it flows through the rad.

http://www.perma-cool.com/faq/efans.html

:flipoff:

heres a question, i am mounting a taurus fan pulling on my buggy. The rad is angled back at about a 30-40 degree angle. I have room to mount a small
12" fan on the motor. SHould i do both or leave the fan off the motor?

When I had this:

(Picture in which I can still read your license plate :flipoff:)

More air came out from the sides of the fan than went through the radiator...

...Since some air gets thought the core from the holes... it cools, but not as well as a puller with a shroud, which pulls 100% of the air it flows through the rad.
You're comparing a shrouded puller to a completely unshrouded pusher. FAIL!