• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Electrical Question - Generator Running A Welder?

84Toyota4x4

Ok, so I already know that the generator I have has enough power output to run the welder. I'm good with that. The welder is a 220 volt MIG that wont be operating at more than 25% of its output for this task (even though the generator will support 100%). What I'm not too sure about however, is the fact that the generator has a 4 wire 220 output (two hots, neutral, ground), but of course the welder has a typical 3 wire plug (two hots, ground).

What Im wondering, is if I build an extension cord to run the welder with the 4 wire plug using 3 conductor wire, will it have a negative effect on the generator to use only the two hots and ground without the neutral?

~T.J.

EDIT: Correct me if Im wrong, but I just had a thought. In theory, if the generator is running and supplying power to my house via the 220 plug into my transfer switch, and I have both 110 and 220 appliances connected to that transfer switch. Then technically, the 220 appliances that are 3 wire (two hots, ground) would be doing exactly what I'm asking - drawing off only the two hots and ground without the neutral, right?

Last edited:
I did my compressor that way. But I took the 4 wire receptical and wired a three wire receptical in it place. Just left the nuteral wire unconnected. This way I can plug my three wire compressor in.

My nieghbor ran a three wire receptical off of the 4 wire receptical so now he has both mounted on his wall sise by side.

I've done this to use my mm175 with the grandparents welder. Pretty easy to do and there shouldn't be any negative effect. Next time you are out in the GB area look me up. I'll show you what I used and did

Sweet. Im thinking Im just gonna use a regular 4 prong plug to plug into the welder when I make the extension cord, but just use three conductor wire. Then, put the 3 prong plug on the welder end of the cord and call it good.

~T.J.

Latest posts