• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Evans 4/8/11 run report

pokey

just me
Well we went to Evans instead of Tahuya for the break in run. Made it to withen about 1 mile of the campground before having to unload since the tow rigs were getting stuck on the snow and Ice. There is about 18" of snow in the first parking lot. We went up the 311 and got most of the way to the rocky area and were stopped by a large tree across the trail (20" or so) we didnt have a saw since we were going to Tahuya :haha: So we managed to get turned around and headed back down. Got to the entry and decided to head for the campground got to bust a freah path through the new snow:cheer:. It was a 3000 rpm 3rd gear run and was going great until my rig overheated and blew the lower radiator hose off. At this point (about 1/2 way to the campground) I was pushing snow up to the headlights and there was no way to stay on top of it. We had lunch fixed the hose and headed out. Stopped to wash down the rigs and then dropped the jeeps off at the fairgrounds for the 4 wheel parts show. I will post Pics in a bit. I need a shower and some dinner.
Rig did very well except for the hose issue. I will need to shorten the front driveline about a inch or so so the splines dond bottom out though and figure out a way to get some longer shocks on the rear. Otherwise I am very happy with it :cheer: The heated seats were great :cheer:

Sounds like fun, other than the hose. I blew one of those today too.:mad: I might head up there next weekend, but if the snow is too deep maybe not.

That's great news! :cheer: Most people would only hope for a minor thing like a hose popping off being their only issue on a mayden voyage!:;

Pics
1, the road up
2, 311 entrance
3, lean
4,packed wheel
5,road to campground

Attachments

• road1s.jpg
    road1s.jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 345
  • 311 1s.jpg
    311 1s.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 344
  • lean.jpg
    lean.jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 338
  • packs.jpg
    packs.jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 338
  • camproads.jpg
    camproads.jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 343
more pics

1, thar she blows :haha:
2, lower 311
3, trees across 311
4, end of the road for today,

got a couple of decent vids. I will upload them in the morning.

Attachments

• blowss.jpg
    blowss.jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 340
  • low311s.jpg
    low311s.jpg
    107.8 KB · Views: 352
  • 311treess.jpg
    311treess.jpg
    104.6 KB · Views: 343
  • ends.jpg
    ends.jpg
    100.7 KB · Views: 336
Sounds like fun, other than the hose. I blew one of those today too.:mad: I might head up there next weekend, but if the snow is too deep maybe not.

It was melting fast, Dropping out of the trees like friggen basketballs:booo: If it gets a lot of traffic over the weekend it might be more passable, Snow was really wet and soft today.

That's great news! :cheer: Most people would only hope for a minor thing like a hose popping off being their only issue on a mayden voyage!:;

All in all a great day :cheer:

vids as they upload, This is the road to the campground

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Nw-fpKBu_l4?hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Nw-fpKBu_l4?hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

We saw Pokey's trees on 311 today. We almost make it to the parking lot with the tow rigs, but after the people in front of us got all sideways we decided to park at what used to be the 102 entrance. We unloaded, parked safely and drove up from there. Good thing we stopped the snow in the parking lot would have been impossible in a tow rig with trailer.

We headed right in 311 and about 5 minutes in, we saw the line of parked rigs, turned off. I walked up to the front and the first group of the day was just finishing removing those trees. We decided to turn around and head to the campground.

I got to play snow plow and lumberjack most of the day clearing downed trees across the road, but we were successful at getting all the way to the campground. TONS of very wet snow. Had lunch and Dave decided that we could probably try 520... so why not.

Deep, Deep, Deep we snow. When I have snow to my headlight's it's DEEP. We made it up to where the sharp right turn is up into the 520. But it had been a long, hard haul to even get there and Dave's winch cable came unglued from the housing. I won't tell you how he REALLY tried to fix it to get ready for this trip. :)

So, one winch down and the decision was easy. We turned around, headed back to the campground and planned to run 311 down before we head out. On the way from the campground to the 311 we saw the people that we right in front of us on 311 earlier that morning. They were just getting through. We made a good choice by turning around and heading somewhere else. We would have been on that one trail all day.

On the way down 311 we had our only major breakage of the day - ME. The steering arm broke off the left knuckle. We tried welding it but I think my rod was really old and had been wet. We could not get it to scratch and burn well and had to give up on that plan. We were able to hook the winch around in such a way to bind the arm with the one remaining bolt that was in it, in a pretty good position. We were able to get two other bolts partially threaded. It held together to get the last few hundred yards out and back on the trailer a mile down the road.

Fun day playing in the snow. I've never driven through snow that deep before. I used up half a tank of gas playing snow plow LOL!

Last edited: