• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Evans Creek Conditions Update

billulsund

I was up at Evans this Saturday. There was still snow on the ground at the entrance but it was only a couple inches deep. We started by running the lower 311. The upper 311 looked well traveled, but we decided to try the 520 instead. The snow was about 1-2 feet deep at the entrance and there were tracks going up it but the other rigs I was with were struggling so we decided to turn around and go back to the entrance to run up the 102. On our way back we met some guys who had gone up the 520 and said they made it maybe a mile in before the snow got too deep and they had to turn around. The 102 was not bad. Some spots had enough snow on the trail to make it a little interesting, but we made it through with no problems. After finishing the 102 we saw tracks going up the 198 and wanted to check it out, but were running out of daylight so we just headed back down. We tried to play in the fishbowl, but it was all untracked and the snow denied us. I saw no tracks coming down through the fishbowl, and don't think I saw any coming down the 196 so that means the snow on the 198 is probably still too deep to make it all the way through. So for right now its just the 311 and 102 that are clear, but I hope to try and make tracks on some of the other trails next weekend.

I was up there saturday also, I am willing to bet there will be more snow fall through out this week.

I was up there Saturday attempting to go for a motorcycle ride in the snow...
My buddy and some guy we met in the parking lot decided to go towards the campground in a Ranger, and a stock Montero. They both got stuck, then a 4runner got stuck trying to get them out. A couple jeeps, a Pathfinder, and Toyota finally got them all out...

Log story short, I wouldn't go without a winch.

Last edited:
I saw you guys out there that day. The snow was definitely a little too deep for stock rigs. I rolled up right as the Montero was getting pulled out.

Our group was up there on Saturday (4/30). We covered both upper and lower 311 and cut the logging road back down to the campground. We covered about a 1/2 mile of the actual 520 trail before deep snow stopped us. We cut the logging road from the day parking area to the top of the 102 trail and then did the 102.

The 102 was easy and not too snow covered. We stopped on the 520 because of drifts across the trail that turned narrow sections into very nasty sidehills. The upper 311 was very slick in spots and a couple of people had to winch.

The logging roads were pretty tough due to all the new snow. The parking area at the start of the lower 311 was too deep for tow vehicles. We had a dozen rigs so we did a good job of clearing the trails we covered. It's rained a lot up there since our Saturday run so the trails could be much different.

Check here for more info-http://www.pnwjeep.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=26842

Saturday 5/14

Snow is melting but there is still a good bit up higher.

There was no snow in the parking area and we didn't hit snow on 311 until after the second look out before you turn up to upper 311.

Road to and from the camp ground would still need a capable rig and/or winch.

Hi All:

Was up at Evans Creek yesterday (Saturday.) No snow down at the entrance area, but lots at the campground and on most of the FS roads! :D

Not much snow on 311A or B, but lots of snow on other trails, especially on the 196 which also had 10-12 downed trees blocking it completely.

Regards,

Alan

A group of us from Oregon were planning a trip to WA trails the weekend of June 4-5, with our first stop being Evans Creek. I have been to Evans Creek once to scout the area, but not really to run the trails since I was in by daily driver Grand Cherokee at the time. From the posts above it seems like there is a lot of snow still and running most of the trails would be limited at best?? We also were thinking of heading to over to Rimrock area, but it appears these trails are closed until June 15? Can anyone provide us some intel and suggestions? Should we postpone until later in the summer? Thanks in advance for the information

A group of us from Oregon were planning a trip to WA trails the weekend of June 4-5, with our first stop being Evans Creek. I have been to Evans Creek once to scout the area, but not really to run the trails since I was in by daily driver Grand Cherokee at the time. From the posts above it seems like there is a lot of snow still and running most of the trails would be limited at best?? We also were thinking of heading to over to Rimrock area, but it appears these trails are closed until June 15? Can anyone provide us some intel and suggestions? Should we postpone until later in the summer? Thanks in advance for the information

Most of Evans is still under snow effectivly closing most of the trails, The eastside trails are closed until june 15th unless they decide to open them earlier. Now there are lots of road washouts blocking access to the trails as well :mad: If you want to run those trails it might be best to wait until later in the season.

With all the late snow I would recommend delaying your trip. Then you can do Evans and Naches.

As an alternative we are thinking of doing Elbe Hills and then hoofing it up to Walker Valley. I have ran WV before, but never Elbe Hills. Any insight into Elbe? Are the quite a few good trails to run? I know its known to be a muddy run with a lot of trees, but that is about it.

Thanks. I did read some of the recent reports from April. What I didn't see was much info on how how many trails there are to run. Is it a day's worth of wheeling assuming no breakdowns or more than that?

Elbe's good for a full day w/o running the Busy. Pretty varied trails, if your rigs are really built you can mob through all the trails pretty quick. If you have a whole group of mid-range rigs some of the trails can be reallllllllly fun if you take the right lines. It's all what you make it. You can spend a full day on just the Busywild with some poor planning or bad luck.

If you haven't you take too many bypasses.....................:looser:

Perfect recap. It sounds good. We have two built Jeeps running 37's and the others are mid range rigs with 33" tires and lockers, so it sounds like there should be something for everyone. Appreciate the info!

Whats the latest on Evans? We wanted to run down there on sunday and mess around, a few of the rigs that are with me are lightly built so we cant get too crazy. Is everything open? Ive never been...