• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Exercise for gimps?

patooyee

I've got bad knees, bad back, shin splints when I run (I know I don't run right, but I hate running in general anyway.), tendonitus in my elbows. Despite all this, I recognize that I am overweight and need to lose and I do have genuine desire to get exercise of SOME sort.

Back in college I swam a lot. I really enjoyed it. Ironically, there are no pools to swim where I live because of the beaches. But I live just far enough away from the beach that I can't just go there every day to swim. I also don't want to get eaten by a bull shark or towed out to sea by a rip tide. I also played racquetball nearly every day which is part of why I have bad knees and elbows now and can't continue doing it.

I enjoy biking some but have yet to find a comfortable seat for my fat ass. After about a mile I feel like I have been anally raped by a 700 lbs gorilla. I've tried about 6 different seats so far, all recommended by different bike shops. Plus, to get anywhere by bike where I live you have to bike Hwy. 98 which is a death wish. Literally everyone who bikes 98 regularly has died.

Probably one of my favorites is hiking in the woods. But the closest significant place to woods-hike to me is an hour away and flat pine forests do get boring after a while. (We have no hills in FL.)

I walk everywhere I can whenever I can. Even that is a risk anywhere near Hwy. 98 though. Just a couple months ago a walker was hit and seriously injured at the entrance of my neighborhood.

Anyone got ideas? My work schedule if FUBAR. Most days I start around 7am and get off close to 11pm, no breaks between. Whatever I do will have to be extremely early in the morning or late at night. I'll have to adjust my sleep patterns.

I'll come down and build you a pool! Problem solved :dblthumb: What's your budget? ;D ;D

Quit being a bitch and order P90X

Change your diet up a bit. Eliminate pork all together. Eat more chicken, double your water intake. Limit your sodas and beer for a bit until you get about 3-4 weeks into a regular workout routine.

I promise you though that just a diet change and ordering P90 will truly change how you feel and will motivate you more to sticking to a new routine.

Glucosamine and Vitamin E fish oil will help alot with your joint aches but if you don't combine any of the other things, it wont really give the effect you're looking for.

Post us a before and after pic Yo

The P90X guy that is missing a leg really put my arthritis complaints into perspective. I still do the workouts when I can, they just take a really long time to get through them and you need to be consistent to get results.

This is a pretty good place to get ideas to get you in shape. Doesn't take a lot of time and you can mix it up. Dedication is key, but we all already know that.

http://darebee.com/challenges.html

I recommend getting involved in a gym. Most joint pain is caused by crappy form on lifts. From your posts you are insanely smart, so use that to your advantage and pay attention to the older guys at the gym. Load up on glucosamine and fish oil also bc that stuff does work. Diet is the most important part of any regime to lose weight. Just like anything in life though, it's all about how bad YOU want it, and what lengths YOU are willing to go to achieve YOUR goals. Best of luck to you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I always thought glucosamine was an rx. I'll definitely try some of that, hell my dog is on it! The most convenient form of exercise so far has been running since I can do it in my neighborhood any time of day. I don't enjoy a minute of it but sometimes I could zone out listening to music and get it done. If my knee wasn't constantly hurting me while I did it it might be sustainable.

I'm also going back on a diet that I lost a lot of weight with in the past, was prepared to make into a lifestyle, and just lost track of.

I'm not looking to change my life though. I don't think that p90x or some other extreme regimen is realistic or even justified. I'm looking for suggestions that I can incorporate into my normal enjoyable life. No one will do something they don't enjoy long-term. I would like to lose my gut, not become a fitness extremist. I do not think I would enjoy P90x or stick with it long-term.

Many gyms these days are 24 hours a day which would be good for you. You are right though, no matter how hard you try if you don't enjoy it you will stop. There is no way I could do p90x or crossfit bc it's just not for me. I love training like a bodybuilder/powerlifter so I'm able to go 7 days a week. My wife has gotten really involved as well so it's even more fun. Just try different things until you find your thing. Heck it could turn out that you like yoga!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

grab a nordic track or total gym off CL

old skool-- pick whatever you think you're likely to enjoy/ease into/stick with

diet and exercise are the keys to longevity, but it ain't easy!

Re:

Talking about knees, have you looked into your shoes. Shoes have a lot to do with joints and well over all weight. Go to a running store and let them fit you. Typically they watch you run for a minute or two and look at how you stand. I did it in athens twice now.

Completely off topic, UGA getting a new coach.

Re:

Mortalis5509 said:
Talking about knees, have you looked into your shoes. Shoes have a lot to do with joints and well over all weight. Go to a running store and let them fit you. Typically they watch you run for a minute or two and look at how you stand. I did it in athens twice now.

Completely off topic, UGA getting a new coach.

We have one of those stores near me and I went there once. My cheap ass just wasn't willing to pay as much as they wanted. I just can't bring myself to pay $80+ for a pair of shoes made in a factory by a Malaysian kid who makes $0.02/hr and has $3 of fabric in them. I do have a nice, comfortable pair of Nike's that feel about like the $80 ones that I got at the Nike Outlet for $30 though! :)

I was actually going to PM you about CMR but there's not much that can be said that everyone doesn't already know now. I just hope they break the bank and find someone proven after getting rid of someone so reliable. I think to follow him up with an assistant coach from somewhere they hope might work out would be a mistake and just prove that the problem was the administration the entire time. I don't know of anyone on the market like that right now though. They need to open up the pocket books and pull a rabbit out of a hat, like Jimbo Fisher or someone.

Re: Re:

patooyee said:
We have one of those stores near me and I went there once. My cheap ass just wasn't willing to pay as much as they wanted. I just can't bring myself to pay $80+ for a pair of shoes made in a factory by a Malaysian kid who makes $0.02/hr and has $3 of fabric in them. I do have a nice, comfortable pair of Nike's that feel about like the $80 ones that I got at the Nike Outlet for $30 though! :)

I was actually going to PM you about CMR but there's not much that can be said that everyone doesn't already know now. I just hope they break the bank and find someone proven after getting rid of someone so reliable. I think to follow him up with an assistant coach from somewhere they hope might work out would be a mistake and just prove that the problem was the administration the entire time. I don't know of anyone on the market like that right now though. They need to open up the pocket books and pull a rabbit out of a hat, like Jimbo Fisher or someone.
I hear you on the shoes but it's not something to skimp on. Your "like new" Nike are probably worn out. The support is probably broken down by now. When my shoes break down and I get new ones, I can really tell a difference. Nike doesn't make a good shoe imo. I currently have brooks and they aren't that expensive.

Like others have stated and you already know, diet is big while working out. Its how much you consume. Protein (stuff that walmart has ranks higher than gnc: https://labdoor.com/rankings/protein), frozen fruit in the plastic bags, honey, little ice, and vanilla silk milk (sounds terrible but thicker than milk and pretty good for you) makes a smoking shake. Make it good and thick and eat/drink one for lunch. It will fill you up.

UGA has money. Guy I know posted on a local board a few weeks back that CMR was out and Kirby was in along with saying MR was going to VA. He stated this came from friends of friends with the folks that make the decisions over there. Intresting enough MO has won the same number of SEC title as UGA has in 10 years. While he has a hell of a record it doesn't compare to the 6 national championships that Alabama has had since 2006. Great guy. Meet him a few times, but GA is due. It will be intresting to see if the new recruites decommit or not.

have you ever tried a recumbent bike.... always like the way they looked then a customer came by with one he was like 70 ..... he rode all the time . i jumped on it. It was like riding in a recliner. Best ride I ever had on a bike.Also a buddy of mine built his own 3 wheeler recubent was even better didnt have to worry about balancing at all

Re: Re: Exercise for gimps?

LightBnDr said:
What is the number one reason you want to work out?
To be healthier longer to maximize my time on this earth with my daughter and to be a good role model to her.

Re: Re: Exercise for gimps?

customfab said:
have you ever tried a recumbent bike.... always like the way they looked then a customer came by with one he was like 70 ..... he rode all the time . i jumped on it. It was like riding in a recliner. Best ride I ever had on a bike.Also a buddy of mine built his own 3 wheeler recubent was even better didnt have to worry about balancing at all
I think I would really like one but they are so expensive. Then we're back to the hwy 98 risks as well. They are lower and more difficult for motorists to see.

Re: Re: Re:

Mortalis5509 said:
I hear you on the shoes but it's not something to skimp on. Your "like new" Nike are probably worn out. The support is probably broken down by now. When my shoes break down and I get new ones, I can really tell a difference. Nike doesn't make a good shoe imo. I currently have brooks and they aren't that expensive.

Like others have stated and you already know, diet is big while working out. Its how much you consume. Protein (stuff that walmart has ranks higher than gnc: https://labdoor.com/rankings/protein), frozen fruit in the plastic bags, honey, little ice, and vanilla silk milk (sounds terrible but thicker than milk and pretty good for you) makes a smoking shake. Make it good and thick and eat/drink one for lunch. It will fill you up.

UGA has money. Guy I know posted on a local board a few weeks back that CMR was out and Kirby was in along with saying MR was going to VA. He stated this came from friends of friends with the folks that make the decisions over there. Intresting enough MO has won the same number of SEC title as UGA has in 10 years. While he has a hell of a record it doesn't compare to the 6 national championships that Alabama has had since 2006. Great guy. Meet him a few times, but GA is due. It will be intresting to see if the new recruites decommit or not.
My shoes are new, like literally haven't yet been worn. My knee has shitty cartilage and will need to someday be replaced. I have a bulged disk in my back. Nothing shoes can do will fix those. I'm not trying to underplay the importance of good footwear. I live in work boots all day every day and know how important it is.

Re: Re: Re:

There many options for your knee before a replacement:
http://www.zimmer.com/medical-professionals/products/biologics-sports-medicine/denovo-nt-natural-tissue.html

or if the defect is bigger
http://www.zimmer.com/medical-professionals/products/biologics-sports-medicine/chondrofix.html

or if you have bone marrow lesions with NO cartilage defects
http://www.subchondroplasty.com/

or if you just want the occasional shot to feel better:
http://www.zimmer.com/medical-professionals/products/biologics-sports-medicine/gel-one.html

You are very close to some great DRs in your neck of the woods ...

Buy some really good cycling shorts (gay spandex) and then ride a bike. I been cycling for a long time and will not ride a bike without good shorts. They have a huge pad that makes the seat very tolerable, not great but tolerable. Best way to stay in shape and not get beat up. I recommend MTBing, it's like wheeling on a bike :****:.

MTBing if you want to give yourself some motivation for being healthier (AKA fun).

T25 has been good for the wife and I. Its just too damn hard to find 90 mins to do P90X with my lifestyle. The gym is even harder to get motivated for because i have to actually drive there. I dont get home from work most days till 7:30pm and its usually dinner with the family and then playing with my daughter till she goes to bed around 9:00. I leave for work at 5:30am , so you wont catch me going to the gym after 9:00. T25 i can fit in after putting my daughter to bed and something the wife and i can do together.

On the weekends or any days i can talk my wife into letting me skip dinner I ride the MTB and it gives me motivation to keep up with workouts.