• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

f250 7.3 help

wallyworld

ok im trying to help my buddy fix his truck. H has a 96 f250 super duty 4x4 with the 7.3 turbo, it all started a couple months ago when it started running like crap he pulled the code for a bad injector, now he has replaced all 8 injectors, idm, pcm, idm was full of water, the injector harness was bad on the l/f valve cover harness, replaced the valve cover gaskets and it ran worse so the old ones went back on and it ran better. the bully dog is not plugged in at the moment. let me know what you guys think.

Whats your fuel quality/filter like? Whats your fuel pressure? Do you have a OBD II scanner with KOER/KOEO test functions? Do your actual and desired oil pressure trend eachother (Whats the EOT warm?)? Do the injectors pass a Buzz test? Dose the truck pass/fail a contribution test? Whats the oil look like? Whats the milage on the truck?

Just throwing parts at a powerstroke can get expensive... and get you no where fast. Its worth it to pay a shop for a few hours of diag even if you do the repairs yourself.

Whats your fuel quality/filter like? Whats your fuel pressure? Do you have a OBD II scanner with KOER/KOEO test functions? Do your actual and desired oil pressure trend eachother (Whats the EOT warm?)? Do the injectors pass a Buzz test? Dose the truck pass/fail a contribution test? Whats the oil look like? Whats the milage on the truck?

Just throwing parts at a powerstroke can get expensive... and get you no where fast. Its worth it to pay a shop for a few hours of diag even if you do the repairs yourself.

fuel and filter are fresh scaned the fuel pressure at 571psi, cyl compression is at 475-479 per cyl, eot is 171, injectors all passed the buzz test, the oil and filter are new, milage is 198k, and i dont know what a contribution test is. all of the diesel shops around here are backed up 3 weeks.

as for the other question the truck runs very rough and seems to lack power.

Last edited:
The actual and desired oil pressure being within 50psi or so of eachother was what I was trying to get at (what the computer wants and what the ICP is telling it). That info could help to rull out things related to the high pressure oil system. The contro. or "balance" test is a injector cutout test. It drops one injector at a time while running and looks to make sure that each cylinder is contributing the same. I would guess that your friends truck would fail this test and throw a contro. fail code for the injector or injectors that are having the problem. This could help you to pin point your problem. Also how long you have to crank on the truck to get it to fire makes a difference...

Powerstrokes take a few drives put on them after getting a set of injectors to bleed all the air out of them and they run rough and have an extended crank untill its all out of there. We also see alot of torn or extruded injector O rings on these trucks from people getting in a hurry or not replacing them every time so dont rull anything out.

PM me your number if you have questions or need any specs. and I will try to help. :awesomework:

Last edited:
Nope, that's not a balance test...balance test (cylinder contribution test) is another function like the buzz test.
If you need a local hand, let me know....:awesomework: