• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

factory 14 bolt locker?

rigimortis rex

i accidentally wheeled my truck for the first time with no oil in the rear axle...:mad: I ruined the ring and pinion real quick, BUT upon dis-assembly i found that this is some sort of factory locker? or LSD? Anyone know if this is worth rebuilding/using? I was just going to pick up another axle and throw it together.

pics...
Photo0049.jpg

Photo0048.jpg

That's a Gov-Lok (RPO G80) LSD; While not a bad LSD, I would be hardpressed to rebuild it..
What gear ratio is it? I would think you could find a complete rear FF 14b possibly with a Detroit for reasonable and just throw the whole shootin' match in...

I know they take a lot of wire to weld when you weld them in place :redneck:

gov locks actualy work quite well in stock vehicles, but thats about it. Ive had them in all of my gm pickups and they have lasted up to 300K before giving up.

They are a true POS. My customers wouldn't even warranty a gear swap if they had a Gov loc because of all the issues. A the same time they loved them because they failed so frequently they sold tons of new diffs.

To lock they require wheel speed differential. This means that one tire must spin before they lock. On ice this frequently means you can only spin both tires, not start out with traction. The truck pull guys HATED this system for that very reason. You never want a tire to spin on take off because you frequently can't get traction back again. They also will not engage over 30MPH so they're always open at highway speed. The Truetrac is a much better design.

lol... yha, nothing like needing to get wheelspin to make it work... then trying to generate enough friction to slow it back down...

i equate it to putting a wooden dowel in the spokes of your front wheel... on the rare chance the dowel didnt break, some thing else would... lol.