• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

family 4runner

joeyf

So i have always liked the late model 4runners, ever since i got into wheeling. With the family getting bigger i finally got my first one about 6 months ago. the first thing i did was swapping 16" tacoma wheels in preparation for the axle swap.

about three months ago i picked up a pair of 80 series axles from a guy in Canada. been slowly tearing them down and rebuilding them.

a couple hours each day, after work and i finally got the rear axle under the truck.

it sits a little to high for me. will be changing out the shackle to get it lower. may take out the over load leafs if it is still to high.

stock the tires are inside the fenders.

with the 80 axle just the bulge of the tire sticks out.

thanks.

finished connecting everything this morning. all that's left for the rear is getting a e-brake cable from a cruiser. adjusting the proportioning valve line once i find the final ride height and getting the right length shocks.

the flange pattern is not the same. but all i had to do was switch the flanges.

while i was rebuilding the axles i did my best to get the interior back to oem quality.

there was no carpet in the rear so i pulled what was left of the old one and recarpted the whole thing.

i have no use for this anymore. so if anyone wont's it, you can come pick it up.

Been busy so not much done. Was able to mounted to hanger today. After putting the same axle on my wheeler I found that running a full width kit works better on the wide housing.. Than trying to make a stock hanger work.

Camping rig. No plans on hitting trails with it other than what I run across when heading to camping spots.

Have a cage. That's next on the list of things to do.

Got the rear hangers drilled and welded out the other day. So I hung the axle and started mounting the the bump stops and shock hoops. Should be able to finish the driver side tomorrow.

Well for the most part its done, just small things to finish up. Doesn't look like much from my last post but I got everything finished on the driver side. Also got the steering all hooked up.

See you on the road.

Bumping a old thread. This thing runs great but the front driveline is way to steep even with the high pinion. So I found a dualcase set-up to hopfully help with that.

My boss us to make aluminum boats for a living and was also the one in the shop who would make the tanks. This is why I went with these axles because he had no problem making a custom aluminum tank to clear the offset rear diff.

Made some square tube sliders and mounted some napa steps to them so the kids and wife can get in and out easier. Also found a guy selling 33's on stock 80 series wheels, so picked them up and sold the tacoma wheels.

Found a rear e-locker 80 axle for dirt cheap. Will swap the diff's then lock and regear the other to put under the wheeler so it will finally have matching axles.

Good looking 4runner. Like your axles and build decisions. Not to keen on your bolt on steps though haha. I just make my old lady suck it up and climb up. I see you have this build over on pirate also. This place is pretty quite. I plan on starting a thread over there when I get back to the suspension again on my 4runner.

Good looking 4runner. Like your axles and build decisions. Not to keen on your bolt on steps though haha. I just make my old lady suck it up and climb up. I see you have this build over on pirate also. This place is pretty quite. I plan on starting a thread over there when I get back to the suspension again on my 4runner.

Thanks
I hear ya, if it wasn't for the kids they wouldn't be on there. Its not a hard core build but I was hoping for a little more conversation over there.

Is that Bamboo in your yard? :redneck: Good looking ride man!

Ya, was there when we moved in. Not going to even try to control it, just renting.