• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

First ever Half-Door build :D

FIVE~0~NINE--Wheeler

First ever Half-Door build :D (LOTS OF PICS!)

Okay i started my Half-Doors today on my 79 toyota. they were kinda beat so i figured if i messed em up... no worries. and i just picked up some fresh(dent/rust free) doors from junkyard for when im not wheeling. so here are some pics of it so far. feel free to criticize and ask questions:)
(KEEP IN MIND THIS IS MY FIRST ATTEMPT!) thankyou.

Last edited:
measuring and taping the doors:
IMG_20110513_211224.jpg
[/IMG]

Cut and fitted:
IMG_20110514_004702.jpg
[/IMG]

gonna fill doors in, and cap them. then grand em smooth!

the first one i kinda messed up, i used a sawzall.(BIG NO NO!) the back and forth motion i found out kinda bends that thin body panel. the second one i used a air grinder, MUCH BETTER!! super clean cuts. so now i know for next time.haha. but with some hammering and grinding the messed up one shud turn out fine. im gonna hopefully finish them 2moro. when put the caps on, shud i mig weld them, or maybe gas weld them since the panels are thin?
thanks.

got metal to cap the doors.

measured em
IMG_20110516_121829.jpg

wanted to do it different then most people so i made brackets instead of welding.
IMG_20110516_135053.jpg

IMG_20110516_134501.jpg

mounted on
IMG_20110516_155729.jpg

im gonna grind them smooth and flush 2moro hopefully. then i just gota do door panels.

Great!! some cutting is going on! haha, picked up a bed for it. gota bob it. and ive been patching the cab up, (till ican find one somewhat close to me to buy) but shes runnin great!

yeah squirrel that was my truck, i miss it but i needed somethin that would fit the wife and kids with me and be street legal. good to hear that the trucks hangin in there, i gotta re-do the entire braking and steering systems to make the cruiser safer to daily drive

ya, i am replacing the brakes on the truck too, the rears were completly shot(shoes, drums, cylinders). fronts have a little life in em. but gota go soon.
i gota finish those half doors.lol, been working alot lately! :mad:

I dont know how long im gonna be keeping it :( im moving soon and there aint much wheeling in that area, and i need something little more road friendly.lol, but ima finish a few things first. gonna be sad to see it go, AMAZING rig!!! :( :booo:

looking good.

1 question, why is it all the "toyota" guys chop them down with harsh angles, and squared off transitions? why not make a nice contour that is compfortable to lean on?

They try their best to make them look like Jeep half doors.....

images

But their latch is in the wrong place so they are stuck looking like Jeep wanna be's.

@yankee, Honestly i dont know. not doing alot of leaning while we are crawling up rocks i guess:D

@Jacob, ummm, if i wanted a jeep, i wuda bought one. IMO they look to cliche to me, that said, they are great wheeling machines. but i wudnt trade a toyota for one EVER!... and plus toyotas are just better... hhahaa:fawkdancesmiley:

We try to make them look like Toyota half doors. It's got nothing to do with jeeps.. :fawkdancesmiley:

They try their best to make them look like Jeep half doors.....

images

But their latch is in the wrong place so they are stuck looking like Jeep wanna be's.