• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Flat Towing

TrikeKid

Now that I have a non-street legal rig I've got to find a way to get it to the trail. I CAN make it street legal, but it's going to cost me a bit, and with no heat, and only a bikini top due to the cage and dovetail, it'd be another 200 or so worth of aftermarket heater stuff to make it comfortable.

If/when my car sells, I'll have the cash for a tow rig, but not enough to buy or build a trailer for a while, and my dad's flatbed isn't really set up to haul rigs (high deck and no ramps, single axle, we've hauled his flat fender on it but I'm sure my Zuk weighs more), nor is he going to be keen on letting me rack miles up on his tires and brakes.

Does my rig have to be street legal to flat tow? I know I'd need essentially trailer lights to put on it and current tabs I'm guessing but does the vehicle itself need to also be street legal?

To a point yes. It has to have a lic. plate with current tabs , Fender flares and mudflaps, legal tires. and lights.(as in tail lights)

To a point yes. It has to have a lic. plate with current tabs , Fender flares and mudflaps, legal tires. and lights.(as in tail lights)
What about insurance? It'll have plates and tabs/flaps etc... and i'm going to pick up some of the temp lights for now. I'm going to work on making it driveable too, just not for a while and like i said no top+no heat isn't going to work with some of my "fairer" passengers in this weather.

What about insurance? It'll have plates and tabs/flaps etc... and i'm going to pick up some of the temp lights for now. I'm going to work on making it driveable too, just not for a while and like i said no top+no heat isn't going to work with some of my "fairer" passengers in this weather.

Check with you insurance agent but your regular insurance should cover it while its being towed just like a boat or travel trailer.

I flat tow mine. Wonder if you need brakes in the tow vehical? Only weights 3000 lbs.

I would really want brakes in my tow vehicle :haha: Now in the towed vehicle not so important. You can buy gizmos that will operate your brakes on a towed vehicle but their kind of spendy$$$

I would really want brakes in my tow vehicle :haha: Now in the towed vehicle not so important. You can buy gizmos that will operate your brakes on a towed vehicle but their kind of spendy$$$

There's a couple barely used units on CL for around $250 IIRC....

Check with you insurance agent but your regular insurance should cover it while its being towed just like a boat or travel trailer.

Key words right there---as some ins companies will not cover the towed item behind your tow rig.......

Also if it comes loose my agent told me it was no longer attached to the insured vehicle therefore no longer being covered. :booo:

Also if it comes loose my agent told me it was no longer attached to the insured vehicle therefore no longer being covered. :booo:

Thats the really scary part. A loose rig can reek all kinds of havok :booo: Seen one on I 90 a few years back jeep came off the tow rig at about 60 broke the lame ass "saftey chains" hit 3 cars then went off a rather steep bank to its death. All because the idiot forgot to put the reciever pin back in. How he made as far as he did is beyond me.

Yeah and that's m eventual plan, money for a trailer I do not have right now, but there is a tow bar in my garage, just have to pull it off my dad's flatfender and put it on my samurai.

I flat towed for years before I got a trailer. Worst thing to have happen was coming back over I 90 from buck meadows my welded rear axle let loose tore up the rear end spit the driveline out and trashed the rear output on the T case. Other than that you cant back up on one and they tend to plow you around corners. Can be a little scarey if your towing with a empty PU on wet roads :haha:

Thats the really scary part. A loose rig can reek all kinds of havok :booo: Seen one on I 90 a few years back jeep came off the tow rig at about 60 broke the lame ass "saftey chains" hit 3 cars then went off a rather steep bank to its death. All because the idiot forgot to put the reciever pin back in. How he made as far as he did is beyond me.

I flat towed for years before I got a trailer. Worst thing to have happen was coming back over I 90 from buck meadows my welded rear axle let loose tore up the rear end spit the driveline out and trashed the rear output on the T case. Other than that you cant back up on one and they tend to plow you around corners. Can be a little scarey if your towing with a empty PU on wet roads :haha:

Yer second quote is scary.... gettin hit by a flying driveline or assorted scrap metal could ruin a guys day too. I cannot afford a trailer either, but I got a couple buddies with trailers that no longer wheel, after the first time I borrowed a trailer and it came home pressure washed, tabbed, and with new lights and chains I can get them arguing over who's I'm gonna use.:haha:

Yer second quote is scary.... gettin hit by a flying driveline or assorted scrap metal could ruin a guys day too. I cannot afford a trailer either, but I got a couple buddies with trailers that no longer wheel, after the first time I borrowed a trailer and it came home pressure washed, tabbed, and with new lights and chains I can get them arguing over who's I'm gonna use.:haha:

I know and the worst part is I never felt a thing in the truck (with the camper on) nobody honked or even tried to flag me down :booo:

I have also used a buddys trailer and always clean it up and fix things. Plus I help to pay for tires when it needs them. One way to stop a flying drive line is to unbolt it before towing.:awesomework:

it was easy fo me.. A trailer is cheaper than new swampers all the time.

This is the main reason why I would rather have a trailer. Also if you bust a C clip axle, would make it kinda hard to tow.