• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Flatbelly questions...

MIG'DHORSE

For those of you who have flatbellied a toyota, what method of x-member did you use? Also, what did you do with the gas tank? --scrap it, move it, or what?

Just trying to figure out what I need to buy/fab before I start.

I'll be running the standard dual case w/ an MC07 not clocked at all. Just a straight adapter. I'm thinking about building a mount of the front range style tcase mount, but havent decided yet. Also gotta figure out what the hell im gonna do with that pesky low hanging gas tank.

Any replies are appreciated.:awesomework:

Last edited:
My rig isn't flatbellied, but I know that Budbuilt can make you one of his crossmember/skidplates for a flatbelly (or anywhere in between). And i think he still charges the same price as the regular one, but you'd have to double check that.

The other option is buy or build one similar to the FROR one.

i've pondered the budbuilt flatbelly as well as the FROR style mount that i would probably just build myself.. not sure yet, though. the budbuilt is obviously more $, but subsequently easier to assemble. not sure if i can simply lift the gastank to match, throw it in the bed, (which id like to avoid for storage purposes) or just buck up for a cell. all these ideas...

would it be fine to just throw the tank in the bed? --will it be fine just getting rained on? i just concluded that i'm gonna tear mine out and throw it in the bed, because I'm gonna inboard the rear springs anyway.

Last edited:
Follow my links at the bottom of my post to my build, the top link.
Mine is almost flat, just the front drop hangs down a little.
I made a crossmember like the FROR, turned out nice, used 3/8 plate.
I think I will make a skid plate to bolt to the stock mounts or make a solid pan, w/ a cut out for the front driveline.
Made my own gas tank out of 16 ga , in a triangle shape to fit in the middle of my 4 link.

Follow my links at the bottom of my post to my build, the top link.
Mine is almost flat, just the front drop hangs down a little.
I made a crossmember like the FROR, turned out nice, used 3/8 plate.
I think I will make a skid plate to bolt to the stock mounts or make a solid pan, w/ a cut out for the front driveline.
Made my own gas tank out of 16 ga , in a triangle shape to fit in the middle of my 4 link.

thanks, man.:awesomework:

One possibility for your gas tank is something that I have been pondering to do... take the stock tank, turn it sideways and mount it between the framerails right behind the cab (where the "S" bend is in the frame) to get it up high enough, you would have to cut a hole out of the bottom of the bed. but then you could cover that with sheet metal. that way the tank is up higher but you still keep a lot of bed space.

One possibility for your gas tank is something that I have been pondering to do... take the stock tank, turn it sideways and mount it between the framerails right behind the cab (where the "S" bend is in the frame) to get it up high enough, you would have to cut a hole out of the bottom of the bed. but then you could cover that with sheet metal. that way the tank is up higher but you still keep a lot of bed space.

good idea... i'll have to take some measurements, cuz i wanna throw a sammi bench seat facing backward in the back for the summer.:awesomework: i was pondering throwing it down against the tailgate, which would suck to extend wiring/fuel lines, but if i have to i will.

My truck has a completely flat belly. I built my own crossmember using the stock mount. For the tank I just cut the factory mount and the dropped mount for the tank skid plate and welded them inside the frame behind the axle. I'm running efi so I had to adapt the lines. Not a biggy, if you take the paint off the factory steel lines a 5/16" compression to inverted flare fitting goes right on there to adapt it to a 5/16" steel line.

If you've got the time check out my build thread on Marlins site. The info you want is on page 14.

My truck has a completely flat belly. I built my own crossmember using the stock mount. For the tank I just cut the factory mount and the dropped mount for the tank skid plate and welded them inside the frame behind the axle. I'm running efi so I had to adapt the lines. Not a biggy, if you take the paint off the factory steel lines a 5/16" compression to inverted flare fitting goes right on there to adapt it to a 5/16" steel line.

If you've got the time check out my build thread on Marlins site. The info you want is on page 14.

thanks alot man. this will help me a lot. sweet rig.:awesomework: