• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Fleetguard oil filter

Anthony1

Does anyone know if a fleetguard oil filter lf16102 will work on a 6.5 turbo diesel? I'm not having any luck finding this information. :mad:

01 and up duramax. here is the dimensions: BPV Setting 93.1 kPa (13.5 PSI) Overall Height 137.48 mm (5.413 in)
Seam OD 93.62 mm (3.686 in) Thread Size 13/16-16 UNS-2B

Do you know the dimensions for a 96 6.5?

The filters appear to be identical and it even screwed on without a problem I really don't see a difference other than the number.

Looks like the older 6.5 filter does NOT have a bypass relief valve in it. The newer duramax one does.

Bypass valve is a trade off between having filtered oil, and having any oil at all. If the oil is too thick to pass thru the filter easily, it bypasses. If the filter is so dirty that the oil cant pass thru, it bypasses.

Looks like the older filter has no bypass. Without looking at an oil flow chart for both motors, I cant say if having the bypass is good or bad in your case.

Looks like the older 6.5 filter does NOT have a bypass relief valve in it. The newer duramax one does.

Bypass valve is a trade off between having filtered oil, and having any oil at all. If the oil is too thick to pass thru the filter easily, it bypasses. If the filter is so dirty that the oil cant pass thru, it bypasses.

Looks like the older filter has no bypass. Without looking at an oil flow chart for both motors, I cant say if having the bypass is good or bad in your case.

Thank you. :awesomework:

I did some quick looking, your oil bypass valve is built into the block of the engine, thats why the filter doesnt have/need one.

The only thing I would be concerned with is if the block bypass valve has a different PSI rating than the filter PSI rating, Im guessing you'd want them to be the same or have the filter be higher than the block rating? Not sure. Would take some more google searches.