• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Flipping chevy Dana 44

MonnlightRacing77

When in Doubt Throttle Out
I have a friend who is doing a V8 swap and 3/4 ton swap on a cherokee. He is keeping the stock cherokee transmission and transfercase so the tranfercase is driver side drop. He bought chevy 3/4 tons.so the dana 44 is passenger side drop. He plans on just flipping the axle itself. I know the ring and pinion won't last like that. So I was wondering if reverse cut gears would work or will this still be weak.

Re: Flipping chevy Dana 60

I considered doing the same thing at one point but after a bit of research decided it would be more hassle than it's worth. He could sell that 60, buy a superduty 60 and save a ton of hassle. Might even make a buck.

Kinda of what I was thinking, a lot more Ford 60's around than Chevys, just sell it and get a Ford

I have access to a hand full of dodge 60s and I happen to be looking for a chevy 60. I know they are not as strong as kp but buildable just as well so let me know if interested.

MoonlightRacing77 said:
I have a friend who is doing a V8 swap and 3/4 ton swap on a cherokee. He is keeping the stock cherokee transmission and transfercase so the tranfercase is driver side drop. He bought chevy 3/4 tons.so the dana 44 is passenger side drop. He plans on just flipping the axle itself. I know the ring and pinion won't last like that. So I was wondering if reverse cut gears would work or will this still be weak.

Does he plan to swap tubes or just flip the axle?

Why not leave the axle as is and swap transfer cases to say a Dana 300?

Flipping the axle will work fine, if he is swapping the motor to the back of the rig (rear engine). Otherwise the axle will run in reverse. I don't recommend running the front axle in reverse. :dunno:

Like said above this will only work on rear engine. Flipping will cause the tires to go wrong way.

Won't work. Can't run high pinion gears in a low pinion housing. Even if you could, the issue is that by flipping the axle you move the pinion to the opposite side of the ring gear and causes the backwards rotation.

Again, won't work. Use a different axle, or swap the t-case.

Reverse cut is due to pinion being above center line. It's still on same side of the ring gear. Many people call hp axles reverse rotation but they are not.

Ha you beat me to it again.

He could retube it with the long and short side tubes reversed, but a ford 44 is cheaper and easier.

The only advantage to the LP chevy 44 in my opinion, would be that you can do the jantz engineering kit to run the big jk gears in it. They're stronger than the high pinion setup

Re: Re: Flipping chevy Dana 44

Markrobinson said:
He could retube it with the long and short side tubes reversed, but a ford 44 is cheaper and easier.

The only advantage to the LP chevy 44 in my opinion, would be that you can do the jantz engineering kit to run the big jk gears in it. They're stronger than the high pinion setup
I'm pretty sure you can also get a jantz kit to put Dana 50 gears in a Ford Dana 44. I agree the easier route is a new front end or swapping the transfer case.

Drew Pate
Cordova Al