• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Ford 1510 Starter Repair

L

lowbudgetjunk

I have had good luck replacing contacts and other small parts on starters in the past. I have been reading up on this particular tractor starter and it says if they turn just a little bit slow, they won't start. My starter just went click one day and upon further inspection, the copper has just been mashed flat and wasn't getting a good contact. No real starter issues except the day it quit. The question is this. Do I buy a small parts repair kit for $27 or a new, made in China unit for $100?

I know nothing about tractors, but assume they are similar in wear patterns to diesel trucks with the starters. I don't mind forking over money, but I don't feel like the "new" starter is of the same build quality as the one I just took off.

kmcminn said:
Call Dean at Cross Creek Tractor. He is a good guy.

Thanks for the heads up....$200 cheaper than the lowest price I have found. No rebuild parts to be found for the 1510. I am still going to tear it apart and see if I can source some parts. Next up is flipping hydraulic lines.

Take it ( or mail it maybe) to an auto-electric shop and they should be able to rebuild it for you, i found that to be the best option for our john deere starter

Neal3000 said:
Take it ( or mail it maybe) to an auto-electric shop and they should be able to rebuild it for you, i found that to be the best option for our john deere starter

I am going to try and keep sourcing the copper contacts. It is just mashed flat from engaging for 3 or so decades. Shipping it off still costs too much money. Usually you can find the pieces for a few bucks. Just haven't been able to locate them for this particular starter.

You should have a auto-electric shop around there or maybe Bham that does alternator/starter rebuilds, i think it cost me $60 to have ours rebuilt. I was in the same boat as you- couldn't find parts and new was $400ish