• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Th400 to Ford NP205

DobermanRacing

I have a TH400 that I was told is out of an H1. It has a 2.5" stick out 32 spline output shaft. My front axle is a Superduty 35 spline D60 so I'm needing a driverside drop tcase.

I'm in the middle of build a cage/backhalf chassis, 2" rogue fab die, swapping from leafs to king coilovers, front and rear stretch, 6.0 swap, seats, harnesses, etc so my wallet has been used an abused these last three weeks collecting parts and buying tools.

I'm trying to keep this as budget friendly as I can
laughing2.gif

Considering last night was the first time I've ever even seen a picture of an Np205 I stayed up late and did some reading.

From what I gather is the Ford NP205 (married) is a 31 spline input shaft. Some GM np205 cases used a 32 spline input shaft along with a bigger bearing. The Ford 31 spline case
uses the same size bearing as the GM 32 spline input case.

GM also has 10 and 27 spline inputs but they are of no use to me.

The Ford also has 32 spline fixed yoke outputs vs GM 205s which can have either a fixed or slip yoke.

The Ford NP205 uses a 6 bolt pattern and GM is 8 bolt until they went to 6 bolt like on the Ford. The NP 208 which came mated to TH400 from the factory also uses the same 6 bolt pattern.

If I swap the GM 32 spline input into the Ford NP205 case I can use the factory TH400/NP208 adapter? Is there a more economical solution?

Is there anything I'm understanding wrong about these cases?

My build is running 37s, 5.38 gears in the axles, and I plan on stepping up to 42s asap.

With a stock 6.0, th400, is the 2:1 low going to be enough for 42s?

Should I stop being a bitch and pony up to build a 203/205 doubler or does that put me in used atlas territory?

Advance adapters makes an adapter. Comes with a stubb shaft, that goes from one spline count to another and the plate that goes between tcase and trans

I used to have 5:13s and 2:1 tcase, and it did ok. Brad Evans buggy is a 5.3 th400 and 2:1, he has 39s, but it would have no problem with 42s, so the extra torque of the 6.0 you should be good

@DobermanRacing i believe your proposed combo will work. The 32 spline input will probably need to be the long style from the '85+ round bolt pattern tcase (pre '85 8 bolt cases use a shorter input). Seems like the 400/208 adapter might have interference problems with the inner shift rail but I think you can grind it to clear. Round 6 bolt pattern 400/205 adapters aren't horribly rare so you might consider that for a possible no mod bolt up.

@DobermanRacing i believe your proposed combo will work. The 32 spline input will probably need to be the long style from the '85+ round bolt pattern tcase (pre '85 8 bolt cases use a shorter input). Seems like the 400/208 adapter might have interference problems with the inner shift rail but I think you can grind it to clear. Round 6 bolt pattern 400/205 adapters aren't horribly rare so you might consider that for a possible no mod bolt up.

with a factory adapter it's not a direct bolt up, gotta slot a hole and grind a notch for the shift rail.

Or get one of the weld-together steel adapters. (essentially it's 2 plates with a tube between them, and you weld them at the clock angle you want)

Jed's Machining makes/made them. and I think the Heman machine ones are that type also. EOR or WOD used to make or sell them too.

Offroad design has a tech page that tells you how to do it. They sell the adapter as well. That's who I bought mine from.
I run a th400 and ford 205.
swapped out the input on the 205 for a 32spline female. I believe i run a short version female input.
Goodluck.