• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

ford 289 in 84' toyota

Cobweb

So, ever since I stuffed a ford 9" with a mustang II front end and a Ford racing 289 in a 57' Metropolitan Nash for a customer, Ive wanted to put one in my 84 Toyota pickup. Im looking for more power, but manageable power. really anything other than my 22R. We've done a 3RZ swap in my brothers' truck, its a good setup, but the motor is pain in the A$$ to work on.

I am choosing the 289 because I know how compact it is, and I can eventually do a propane conversion.
- Are there any other small block V8's that are roughly same HP and similar size?
- Has anyone done this before? Im not concerned about the "fit" of it in the truck, but I am wondering what tranny/t-case options there would be. And if there are any combo's (with or with out adapter plates) I could run my dual Toyota t-cases.

I haven't bought anything yet, but I've been itching to do this for a while and want to start collecting parts.

:beer:

(here is a couple pics of the nash. no, I wasn't kidding. that thing was stupid, but fun as hell to drive...)

jhvu69.jpg

hvtpch.jpg

if you can get a 289 in there, you can get a fuel injected 5.0 in there. Tons of HP upgrades out there. Cost a little more than a SBC, but I think the 302 makes more power.

I did this swap about 10yrs ago with a 302 in a '83 yota. It was my favorite wheeler. A friend just picked up my c4 and c4 to toy case adapter today. The sbf fits better than the chevy stuff. Narrower and distributor in front. I used an aftermarket radiator with the taurus fan. Ran toy dual cases, toy axles (upgraded) with 36" tires-which were big 10yrs ago-and it ran great. I don't know why more people who want a v8 don't go this route. It's a great combo. Like others have said, get a EFI setup.

Plan on a D60 swap.

The 289 is a waste just get a 302 like daryl said.

The fit is not the concern, but the added power and weight on a sheetmetal housing.

Bobby's son wheeled a 4runner with a 302. Its a nice fit.

289, 302, 351, doesnt really matter. Most of the parts interchange, but just out of sheer volume, the 302 is the way to go. I believe anything after 1986 is factory roller motor. Same year car motors went Mass Air, but truck motors stayed speed density until 88-ish.

Nothing "wrong" with speed density, but mass air is far more modifiable without messing with the computer. Mass Air can self correct for changes in intake and exhaust upgrades, whereas the speed density requires manual recalibration of the computer chip.

I do like the later motors with the serpentine belt setup, just because it looks cleaner and dont have to mess with adjusting tension.

In a pinch, you can strip the EFI, go back to carb, and just run an MSD box to control timing/spark. All the street rod guys have the conversion pretty much dialed in at this point. The new "go to" motor is now the 4.6 single and double overhead cam motors. I've got a 4.6 SOHC sitting on my shop floor that is probably going to replace the 289 thats in my F100.

289, 302, 351, doesnt really matter. Most of the parts interchange, but just out of sheer volume, the 302 is the way to go. I believe anything after 1986 is factory roller motor. Same year car motors went Mass Air, but truck motors stayed speed density until 88-ish.

Nothing "wrong" with speed density, but mass air is far more modifiable without messing with the computer. Mass Air can self correct for changes in intake and exhaust upgrades, whereas the speed density requires manual recalibration of the computer chip.

I do like the later motors with the serpentine belt setup, just because it looks cleaner and dont have to mess with adjusting tension.

In a pinch, you can strip the EFI, go back to carb, and just run an MSD box to control timing/spark. All the street rod guys have the conversion pretty much dialed in at this point. The new "go to" motor is now the 4.6 single and double overhead cam motors. I've got a 4.6 SOHC sitting on my shop floor that is probably going to replace the 289 thats in my F100.

Cars....At least mustangs....Didn't go mass air until 89. Trucks after that.

My 87 is speed density. 88 was too.

there's a huge difference between the 289-302 vs 351 especially for a wheeling rig. The 351W develops a lot more torque in the low end where "most" trail rigs spend most of their time. I Tried both in my flatty and wont ever go back to a 302 or 289,

there's a huge difference between the 289-302 vs 351 especially for a wheeling rig. The 351W develops a lot more torque in the low end where "most" trail rigs spend most of their time. I Tried both in my flatty and wont ever go back to a 302 or 289,

I was just listing options. They are the same series engine in a nutshell, but he'll find a good mass air 302 pretty cheap and quick. Many parts interchange tho. Heck, my dad is building a really cool "ClevOr" motor right now. Its half windsor motor, half cleveland motor. Has some trick intake to make it work. its going in some old school project he's building.

Mitch: your right, I went back and looked. The cars started out as speed density, but it was a sequential (SEFI) system like the mass air motors. The trucks were bank fired (one entire side of the motor fires the injectors whether needed or not for a specific cylinder). The trucks didnt switch until mid 90s. The 302 first, then the california 351s, then all 351s. Thats part of the reason I bought the 96 bronco specifically because I knew it had a mass air 351 and an OBD-2 port for my AutoEnginuity to work on.

And in case you want to try the new 4.6 cammer motor, your in for a size shock. The top end is HUGE. Its as wide across the top as a 460 big block!

For some reason i was under the impression that the 289 was a little smaller than the 302. Other than the displacement. What i want is a small small block. With the smaller package of the 302 and the 90

302 is a 289 with a longer stroke. That might not be the only difference, but at least the blocks and heads are the same physical shape.

302 blocks have longer cylinder skirts. If you get one out of an explorer, it has shorter front accessories than the other SBF's.

They are compact, and fit well in most things.

IMG_0457_zps4d41aa01.jpg

When I did mine, you have to use a 2wd C4 and put an new output shaft in it for the adapter to the toy case. The C4 is a tough little tranny with tons of upgrades if needed. I put a deep pan and extended pick up on mine with a big cooler.

I love my injected 5.0.

Aftermarket parts are everywhere, the aftermarket wiring harness is beautiful and simple, all the emission **** can come off, the MAF is simple and flexible to mods. The 289/302 are the same size. The 351w has a taller deck height, a bt wider intake, so the heads and exhaust sit out a hair wider than on a 289/302.

Do it. They work.