• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

ford 8.8 into a Cherokee

SJR

I have a 90 Jeep Cherokee would like to upgrade the stock rear axle looking at the ford 8.8 from a Explorer, OK so sounds like the rear driveshaft bolts right up right? now if I get the rearend with the factory Limited slip will a Lock-Right locker fit in that carrier later or would I need a "open diff" also what else would I need, probably the u-bolts and plates as the tube is larger? thanks guys heres some pics or the rearend and the locker , Im new to this Jeep thing so help me out Scott

explorer rearend with drum brakes 3.73 limited slip
100_0280.jpg

Frame_UR.gif
Lockright.jpg
PT 1822 $348.43
Lock-Right locker for Ford 8.8" with 31 spline axles, '87 & newer

Lock-Right locker for Ford 8.8" with 31 spline axles. This is a mechanically-operated unit which locks when power is applied, giving full power to both tires, and unlocks when you let off the gas. The Lock-Right unit installs into a standard open carrier, offering a lower cost alternative to full-carrier lockers. These units are not recommended for applications with high horsepower or large tires. This unit fits 8.8" differentials from 1987 and newer.

Relevant Tags: POWERTRAX, LOCKRIGHT, LOCKER, FORD 8.8, DIFFERENTIAL, LOCK RIGHT Manufacturer Part #: 1822, 1822-LR Weight: 6.60 Lbs

No, you need an open carrier unless you get a no-spin for the L/S diff... but I wouldn't as it has less material than the open carrier and is more likely to break.

You are going to hate the drum brakes. The drums will fill with water and mud. Should have gotten a disc brake 8.8. You need a open carrier for the lockright to fit. Also you need the axle flange adapter for the driveline to bolt up. You moght as well buy new spring perches along with ubolts and plates

Look for disk brakes and I would do an ARB or some other lockable locker to get one stronger unit.

Ok now here is where you want to ask yourself how much you are willing to spend. I ran an 8.8 with disc and Limited slip, was perfect for me becuase im cheap. i think its 96 or 97 and up all have disc....every junk yard will have these too. this being said, how much do you want to spend?

Also, the 8.8 axle is a bit narrower than the XJ rear end. 1.5 inches IIRC. It really isn't an issue unless you are running vastly larger tires. It's a great upgrade to the stock rear housing.

The rear DS will not bolt right up unless you get a different yoke for the pinion. The stock 8.8 flange yoke is nice because it provides a circular surface should your yoke/driveshaft end up in the rocks, however you have to have the flange yoke adapter (Comes free on a stock explorer driveline).

8.8 is a ****in boat anchor. :haha:

Great rearend, but you will drag it on EVERYTHING. You'll need some 35's. :D

I have done a couple of 8.8 swaps.

-weld the tubes
-get the proper flange adapter or NAPA sells adapt u-joints
-spring perches aren't hard to fab, but not really worth the time.
-Your Rear driveline might be too long as the D35 has a much shorter pinion.
(I have just moved the axle back by an inch to inch and a half the fix this issue)
-the diff cover is tin foil
-and yes they hand down you'll drag it.
-E-brake cable can be tricky

BTW I have done Yj, TJ, and ZJ. I have not done an XJ, but I can't imagine that it can be that much different than say a YJ?

Last edited:
Forgot to tell you to weld the tubes or they will spin in the housing. The plug welds aren't very strong when used in an off road application.

I have ran my 8.8 for years and have had no problems. The locker is not needed just weld it. But do weld the tubes and drum brakes are not that bad .Go to pull apart and get the flange off the fords drive line[any ford with the 8.8] hooks right up to your stock drive line good to go. Change the perch angle and have fun a great upgrade.
Every one says that it is a bad axle but I have not seen a break on a 8.8 . Boat anchor no a good upgrade yes.

It is true you will lose a few inches of ground clearance but it is worth it. Yes the 8.8 is still c-clip but if you get the disc brake one is does not matter. All in all it is a great upgrade without going fullsize.

The locker is not needed just weld it.yes.

Thats what i thought :haha: My buddy james is on his 2nd set of 35" MT/r Kevlars in less than 20k miles with the welded diff. :haha: We are swapping it over to a lunchbox style in an open carrier. Welded diffs EAT tires on the street.