• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Ford 8.8 Swap

Benhoward384

I picked up a disk brake 8.8 out of a low mileage Explorer. I already welded the axle tubes to the housing. I was going to wait and save up for a ARB and ultimate 8.8 kit. I've decided to buy a rebuilt track lock and throw it in as I have 3.73 ears up front to match the 8.8 and do the locker and ultimate 8.8 kit later.

My question is since I do need a diff cover (stock one is thin and has a hole in it) I was looking at a Blue Torch cover with a Truss but just that kit is 250. For 350 I can get the complete kit swap plus diff cover and truss from Artec Industries. Are they a good company or will I be wasting my money? Here is a link to what I found:

http://www.artecindustries.com/TJ-88-Swap-Kit-with-Truss_p_233.html

Thanks for the input guys. :beer:

Buy a better cover.

I only install casted covers though. The fabbed covers will most definatly hit a TJ fuel tank. If this isn't in a TJ, get whatever you want.

The best cover I've done is a crane cover. Cast steel one though. Crane sells two different castings.

Buy a better cover.

I only install casted covers though. The fabbed covers will most definatly hit a TJ fuel tank. If this isn't in a TJ, get whatever you want.

The best cover I've done is a crane cover. Cast steel one though. Crane sells two different castings.

Ya it's a TJ, forgot to mention that.

If it's open now... Get an aussie locker. Much better buy than a trac lock.

It's limited slip now. I'm going to do a ARB when money get's a little looser lol but sick of waiting to have some fun as I'm scared to wheel with the weak D35 out back. So figured throw a rebuilt track lock in as they're cheap and throw it in and do the ulitmate 88 kit and ARB later.

I have an 8.8 in my TJ and love it. They are pretty strong compared to a stock d44 from a TJ, even with the c-clips. Had mine built with 4.88s and ARB. You won't be disappointed. And it keeps the stock lug pattern to match the front. I have a SOLID diff cover on mine. No problems after 2 years.

The artec kits are awesome. Go together easy and takes all the guesswork out of locating the brackets. I stock the TJ kits and use lots of 'em!