• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Fords PSD vs Dodes Cummins..

Binder

Here's a thread so we can stop polluting the other one. I would like to hear in detail what you think is "better" about the powerplant you prefer....
Myself I'm not brand loyal but there are some specific issues with each so lets hear your side of the story.:corn:

I'll take a Ford with a Cummin's/6 speed. Fords have way better/roomier cab and the Cummins is a far superior engine.

Stick that in your pipe and smoke it. :fawkdancesmiley:

I'm not brand loyal at all.. I really like the cummins because of it's simplicity. And that's why it does so well too.. I've seen a number of Fords with high miles. But the replacement parts to get them their are a pain in the ass and very spendy in comparison to the cummins. I think that Ford was the worst thing for the powerstroke. The motors do a hell of a lot better in other applications.

I'll add to my list shortly I'm sure :redneck:. But I wanna hear what you like about your powerstroke Mr. Binder...

But I wanna hear what you like about your powerstroke Mr. Binder...

In comparison a couple things off the top of my head.....
PS motor mounts don't tend to rip off the side of the block.:rolleyes: Roll pins don't tend to rip the front of the engine in half which I'm guessing can be a bad day.....Need I even say it, VP 44.
Bad things about the PS....Injectors are expensive....Being a V design the engine compartment tends to be more cramped so it's harder to work on...
Good things about the Cummins....It's not a Dodge gasser!:haha:

Just so we're clear is it Ford vs Dodge?

or Powerstroke vs Cummins? :stirpot:

Not anymore Destroked has changed all of that, now everyone can have a cummins with an allison transmission in the rig of their choice :awesomework:

Powerstroke vs Cummins. If it were Ford vs Dodge then Dodge would be too far outweighed and I don't want to hurt the Dodge guys feelers.:haha: J/K.:;

I was strickly a Ford guy since my 1976 Ford Courier, the last I owned was a 99 powerstroke, went through two sets of hubs, two turbos, and a transfercase in 60K miles. In 2000 I bought my first Dodge CTD and haven't looked back. :D

I do like the fact that they are the only American company that isn't owned by the Government, my next one may be a Ford, but that will be in a long time since I only have 26K on my '07 6.7 CTD :D

In comparison a couple things off the top of my head.....
PS motor mounts don't tend to rip off the side of the block.:rolleyes: Roll pins don't tend to rip the front of the engine in half which I'm guessing can be a bad day.....Need I even say it, VP 44.
Bad things about the PS....Injectors are expensive....Being a V design the engine compartment tends to be more cramped so it's harder to work on...
Good things about the Cummins....It's not a Dodge gasser!:haha:

I'll give you the VP44 slam for sure. P-pumping those trucks is getting really popular now. And the dowel pin is fixed in an hour for 30 bucks. I've probably done 50 of em myself.

Ripping the motor mounts off the side of the block is new to me though. Was there a certain year? I've got an 89 cummins block and a 98 Cummins block out in the garage. There is extra ribbing and an extra bolt on each side for the motor mount on my 98 block vs the 89 block.. Maybe it was an early model year problem?

I don't know any thing about the dodges but I know the ford brakes suck ass and the auto hubs suck ass and the sterling rear hub bearings don't get enough lube they suck ass...

But my engine and tranny are holding up great with great power and low cost to maintain so far but I am pushing 250,000. I did just (last week) replace the stock turbo.

ok add to my list. Stock turbo on the cummins can take some serious abuse. Injectors are cheap and easy to swap (we're talkin' 12, 24 valve injectors, and CR nozzles only, not the whole thing). 21 mpg+ out of a 4x4 no problem. Sounds a lot better as long as you aren't a jackass and run a straight pipe :flipoff:. And with the 12 valves, you can make 150-180 more rwhp with a grinder and timing change (free).

Powerstroke = PMR's :fawkdancesmiley: (I know, not all years)

Last edited:
Ripping the motor mounts off the side of the block is new to me though. Was there a certain year? I've got an 89 cummins block and a 98 Cummins block out in the garage. There is extra ribbing and an extra bolt on each side for the motor mount on my 98 block vs the 89 block.. Maybe it was an early model year problem?

It's primarily a "code 53" problem but happens to others as well. I personally know several people who it's happened to and it often totals the truck.....Unless someone's come up with a easy fix I don't know of....

As far as mileage is concerned I've done several long distance towing trips along with Cummins powered guys pulling about the same load on the same trip. At the end of the trip we all pay about the same for fuel.

It's primarily a "code 53" problem but happens to others as well. I personally know several people who it's happened to and it often totals the truck.....Unless someone's come up with a easy fix I don't know of....

They crack on all numbers, not just 53 blocks. And it's a 24 valve thing. For some reason the cracked block problem doesn't affect the 12 valves. I don't know whether it's harmonics or what, because the block thickness shouldn't be different. The different casting numbers are different thicknesses though. Cast in different locations like Brazil, USA, Mexico, etc (Mexican blocks are one of the thinner blocks).. And it's a thin section in the block towards the back, not caused by the motor mount. They do have a fix for it. I don't know that I care for it, but it seems to hold fine for all who have done it. It's called stitching. Drilling into the block and installed some sort of stud butted up to one another the entire length of the crack. I may not be 100% accurate on that, it was explained to me, but it's been a while.

What about them? Yes they are the less desireable rods but that doesn't make them a "problem". Many engines have PMRs including LS series chevys.

Everyone I know of with the PMR's (in Fords) is afraid to bump their power much over 400. Works fine for many. But I have so many Ford friends that want to do a lot more with their trucks, but are too afraid to because of the PMR's failing. And yes the dmax has always had them, but for some reason they seem to handle more towards the 600-700 hp range. Cummins rods handle WAY more then that though. The new Cummins rods in the CR are PMR's as well and handle plenty of power. I don't know if Ford just screwed up the blend or what. But they definitely give sooner then the Dmax and cummins PMR's.

They crack on all numbers, not just 53 blocks. And it's a 24 valve thing. For some reason the cracked block problem doesn't affect the 12 valves.

I know it's all blocks but when I wrote 53 you know exactly what it means. I know of at least one person who has had this happen on a 12 valve.

ok add to my list. Stock turbo on the cummins can take some serious abuse. Injectors are cheap and easy to swap (we're talkin' 12, 24 valve injectors, and CR nozzles only, not the whole thing). 21 mpg+ out of a 4x4 no problem. Sounds a lot better as long as you aren't a jackass and run a straight pipe :flipoff:. And with the 12 valves, you can make 150-180 more rwhp with a grinder and timing change (free).

Powerstroke = PMR's :fawkdancesmiley: (I know, not all years)

I think powder-metal rods being an issue is a myth and I thought the powder-metal rods started in the 6.0's