• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Found my dad's old toolbox. ..restore?

tonybolton

Bypass Crawler
Some may remember a few months ago my dad's passing....and I certainly appreciated your all comfort.

Digging through the basement earlier I found his small carry toolbox. He was a craftsman guy...back when craftsman was more reputable.

I like to carry alota tools on my rig.....either for me or my group. I like to be prepared. So after going through 2 plastic Walmart style boxes....i dont want to buy another.

Dad's old box is metal....ahh, the good ol days. I cleaned it up best I could but not sure where to go from here? Now, I did rhino liner the inside and bottom of it...but not sure if I should:

--Rhino line whole box
--Paint outside a silver color (same as my rig)
---Jus leave it alone

Obviously if painted I'd leave the name on the top...it's his doing and I always want to picture him writing it when I look at it.

What ' cha guys think?

ae5dfe25bdf534d31bdc1853df358fa8.jpg

61585b9baeabef09eb0aa047d11fada6.jpg

Clear coat it to keep it like it is longer. I'd be afraid of it rusting quick out in the elements.

Re:

Honestly, I'd probably rub it down with some WD40, and set it on a shelf or something. I get all weird and sentimental with my Grandpa's things like that.

I got 2 of my Grandpa's boxes. I have left them the way they were when had them. Sometimes I will be needing some oddball engineered thing. I'll just look to see and just about everytime I will find just what I am looking for. He and I always had same interest, messing with vehicles and outdoors. About the age I started really tooling around with my own stuff, Alzheimers had long had its nasty destructive way with him. Then one day about a week before he was bedridden it was liked he came back to for about an hour. Me and him talked about fishing and my first vehicle his old 79 Cherokee. I thank God giving me that last hour. I will always remember it.

If your dad didn't paint it and it was good enough for him, I'd say leave it alone. Just me sayin. :dblthumb:

I agree. I would leave it alone. I probably also wouldn't take it out on the trail either though. If I did I would definitely go with the matte clear as suggested to preserve it.

I'd leave it as is and NOT use it as a trail box. I'd clean it up and put it on a shelf or just use it at home.

It's too likely to get stolen or fall out and get damaged if you use it on the trails.

Re:

Good points.....I'll leave it for garage duty.

Kinda funny I showed the wife this and my intentions. ....."****....i just bought you a nice new one for Christmas! !"

Seems to have worked out good. ;)

85buggy said:
Not a good idea for s trail box. Folks unintentionally
Wouldn't have the same feelings for it that you do

My whole thought about the trail box was sentimental value. Every time you used it you would think of your dad. It would be like taking a little piece of him to the woods with you every time you go out. I wouldn't want it destroyed either.

Get clean enough to hold a good clear and put several coats on. Then if you want to haul around "speciality" tools that get left in the security of the tow pig it would be sentimental and useful. Not getting beat up like everything else does. I plan on using whatever my grandpa and dad pass down but it will not be used like anything I buy. My stuff gets used hard and I don't want to damage anything they pass down and I know they would not want me just looking perfectly good tools.