• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

frame rust prevention

patooyee

I have a used 2005 Dodge Ram 2500. Love the truck, bought it to be my last tow rig ever and so far it is living up to expectations.

But the black factory paint on the frame has turned gray and is flaking off to expose clean steel beneath it. It isn't rusty underneath, but there are places where the bare steel is showing that I can see rust particles starting to form slightly. I don't know what caused the factory paint to do this. The truck had one owner before me and spent it's entire life prior to me in Arkansas. I'm not sure if Arkansas is considered a salt state or what. I didn't think so.

Anyway, back when I lived up north where they laid salt on the roads my dad would always have this coating put on his frames to prevent corrosion. I think it was called Zebart? I hated that ****. It was black and gooey, like tar, and never dried. Any time you touched the frame your hands would come off looking like you just laid an asphalt highway and the **** almost had to be scrubbed off your skin with steel wool, no soap would get it off. If you got it on your clothes they were ruined for life. But it did protect the frame against the harsh winter salt on the roads.

Are there any other easy alternatives? This truck is in great shape so I don't feel that a frame-off restoration is necessary. But I would like to address this before it becomes a real problem.

Re:

Pressure wash it and spray it all down with some semi gloss industrial rustolem or krylon every couple years?

Seems to me when I see a truck that had any sort of "real" undercoating applied, it'll just mask the issues and rust will still form in the areas that didn't quite get fill fully coated, or inside

I mean, painting it seems like an obvious answer. But the kind of painting that I'm used to doing is frame-off stuff. I don't see how a decent job could be done with the body still on.

Re:

I've heard of guys spraying oil on their undercarriage every year.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

patooyee said:
I mean, painting it seems like an obvious answer. But the kind of painting that I'm used to doing is frame-off stuff. I don't see how a decent job could be done with the body still on.

take a couple different size brushes and slather on some oil based industrial paint. then you can get in all the nooks and crannys

if you're really anal about keeping this truck forever, you'll have the body off in the next 10-15 years or so doing a "frame off" on it anyway,

Re:

onepieceatatime said:
I've heard of guys spraying oil on their undercarriage every year.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Good to know, means my Cummins is already taking a "proactive approach" to self preservation :woot: molaugh