• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Front 44 out back

Totalled said:
I have a rear D44 under my f-100 that is getting replaced with a 9". You can have it for cheap.
What the hell is a 44 doing under a pickup??

But I might be interested. What did it come out of?

TreeClimber said:
uhhhh, an F100?

what's your WMS you're shootin' for?
When did an F100 ever come with a REAR Dana44 :wtf: and why don't I know about it :eeek:

55". I have to stick to 55" or I'm out a set of shafts, and if I'm out a set of shafts, I ain't doin' another 44.

Last edited:
CrustyJeep said:
When did an F100 ever come with a REAR Dana44 :wtf: and why don't I know about it :eeek:.

You hadn't asked what the 'original application' was, you asked what it's coming out of... :rolleyes:

I'll keep my eyes open for you on a housing. Still think you should go widetrack with that 60 I pm'd your better half. It's 5 on 5.5 lug pattern. 35 spline shafts. Only 61 WMS (3 inch wider per side in the rear) AND I bet you can get it for $100 to $150. Buy a locker and ring / pinion and Voila.

T

TreeClimber said:
You hadn't asked what the 'original application' was, you asked what it's coming out of... :rolleyes:
Jackass :haha:

But I did a little googling and it looks like they did come with 44 rears... They must have been rare though, otherwise that would be the most popular source of 44's for Jeeps ever!

TreeClimber said:
I'll keep my eyes open for you on a housing. Still think you should go widetrack with that 60 I pm'd your better half. It's 5 on 5.5 lug pattern. 35 spline shafts. Only 61 WMS (3 inch wider per side in the rear) AND I bet you can get it for $100 to $150. Buy a locker and ring / pinion and Voila.
Then I'd have to run at least 2" spacers up front to make it non-totally-ghetto :booo: and that would make the balljoints go *poof* :booo:

CrustyJeep said:
Jackass :haha:

But I did a little googling and it looks like they did come with 44 rears... They must have been rare though, otherwise that would be the most popular source of 44's for Jeeps ever!

Then I'd have to run at least 2" spacers up front to make it non-totally-ghetto :booo: and that would make the balljoints go *poof* :booo:

Firstly, Sticks and Stones may break my bones, but words can not hurt me. :kissmyass: So you can take your donkey or whatever and go play at Mike's house. Word has it, he likes farm animals.

Secondly, Since when have you worried about what the Jeep "looks like"? Who gives a rats ass, if it looks "totally-ghetto" or "non-totally-ghetto"? What matters is that it works correctly and reliably. In theory, this D60 option sounds like it might do that, and affordably too.

Thirdly, Since the D44 parts you have are valuable, you can sell them and recoup your investment. PLUS, since D44 Fronts are CHEAP, you can have a wider track front built at your leisure (READ- you can go wheeling while you build a replacement, instead of looking at it broke down). All you'ld need for the front is a bare housing, narrowed, and two inner axle shafts cut and splined to fit.

Fourthly, :kissmyass: :flipoff: just for good measure. (and only because I'm trying to live up to my "evil lil man" moniker.

T

I am not building another front 44. No way, no how.

What I figure is, when this is all over, and I am done building a pair of non-retardedly-narrow 60's, my pair of matched and beefy 44's will be valuable :D

Oh and I'm pretty sure a 60 will cause problems with the gas tank also, which is yet another thing I don't want to be forced to deal with before wheeling again.

I *might* buy that 60 anyway though, just to make you happy :flipoff:

CrustyJeep said:
When did an F100 ever come with a REAR Dana44 :wtf: and why don't I know about it :eeek:

55". I have to stick to 55" or I'm out a set of shafts, and if I'm out a set of shafts, I ain't doin' another 44.
It's factory. If you checked Limited Slip on the options list prior to 1968 on an F-100 you got a D44.. Ford didn't come out with trac lock for the 9s until '68.

I'll let it go cheap cause it has 4 of the cover bolts snapped off from me trying to change the lube when I was 16 and I didn't know when to quit... :rolleyes:

But it's 3.54 L/S with 5.5 on 5 pattern and 11x1.5" drums. I'll measure the WMS tomorrow if you are interested at all in it.. it's just gonna take up space after the 9" goes in..

Dana44F100.jpg

Last edited:
:redneck:
CrustyJeep said:
Really? I can have a 55" 60 with 4.56's, a locker, and 35 spline shafts for under $100? Sign me up :flipoff:

I think I still have access to a Chevy housing, so cost of housing = zero.

find a dana 70 with 4.56's narrow it and weld it :redneck:

Totalled said:
It's factory. If you checked Limited Slip on the options list prior to 1968 on an F-100 you got a D44.. Ford didn't come out with trac lock for the 9s until '68.

I'll let it go cheap cause it has 4 of the cover bolts snapped off from me trying to change the lube when I was 16 and I didn't know when to quit... :rolleyes:

But it's 3.54 L/S with 5.5 on 5 pattern and 11x1.5" drums. I'll measure the WMS tomorrow if you are interested at all in it.. it's just gonna take up space after the 9" goes in..

Dana44F100.jpg

if glenn dosent take it let me know:hi:

Totalled said:
I'll be dipped :redneck:

Totalled said:

What exactly is "cheap", and when will it be available? Interested...

Go away Pokeyy, you vulture :kissmyass: :haha:

CrustyJeep said:
I'll be dipped :redneck:

What exactly is "cheap", and when will it be available? Interested...

Go away Pokeyy, you vulture :kissmyass: :haha:

OK smartass just for that I am going to have to pay you $5.00 to take the chevy housing:mad:

Latest posts