• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

front 9" talk

my personal opinion is i think your waisting time and money making a hybrid front end when you get a used front 60 and get it cut, resplined for way cheaper.

Jobless said:
Not entirely true on the 35 spline outer comment Mike...Superior makes a chromo 35 spline stub shaft for the Dana 50 front end. All you do is bore out the stock one piece unit bearing hub to fit the larger stub. Tom & Mauler pioneered this years ago with Maulers 1st buggy.

As for High Pinion anything (Dana 60, hi-9)...completely useless unless you are a pro at the comps. I've yet to find myself in a position where my low pinion 9" has held me back from making an obstacle. The only time I would consider Hi-pinion was if the wheelbase or suspension setup required it due to other mechanical challenges.

From your previous post...I'm running stock 31 spline outers
My bad dude, but just out of curiosity what do you think this setup can be built for complete(as in everything, with the Hi-9 like he wanted) Also, what is the average lifespan of those unit bearings you guys run. And I am with you on the high pinion, good for comp but a waste for the trail.

Last edited:
now im so undecided, i can get a kingpin HP60 for 1000 dollars and just thro some shafts in it and 5 lug it, but then i'll have a bigger R&p in the front :redneck: i'd love the clearence advantage, but adding it up, its gettin more and more expensive for a good 9" front end.

PORTER said:
My bad dude, but just out of curiosity what do you think this setup can be built for complete(as in everything, with the Hi-9 like he wanted) Also, what is the average lifespan of those unit bearings you guys run. And I am with you on the high pinion, good for comp but a waste for the trail.

No idea about price...haven't been keeping track.

Lifespan on unit bearings...mine are 7 years old and I've only had to replace the inner seals which are $35 ea at the dealer. One is starting to get a little rough though, but still totaly useable.

MarcW said:
now im so undecided, i can get a kingpin HP60 for 1000 dollars and just thro some shafts in it and 5 lug it, but then i'll have a bigger R&p in the front :redneck: i'd love the clearence advantage, but adding it up, its gettin more and more expensive for a good 9" front end.
If you want more clearence take that 60 and add a prorock center.:cool:

I'll take my built 9" axles over a pro-rock center any day of the week.

For all the extra cash you shell out what do you get?

Hi-Pinion...not needed.

Extra weight...not needed

Extra ground clearance...negligible at best

What are you left with?

Bling factor :rolleyes: