• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Front antiwrap??

blackcj71

Good idea or bad? I've got a pretty bad front end hop when climbing steep hills (attempting rockface) Im running shackle reverse on my CJ7 with waggy springs. Any idea's how to fix this?

Well if you want an easy fix get a small ATV wich and use it to pull in your front suspension when climbing.

If the shackles are on the front, it will climb better because it won't keep loading and unloading towards the downhill side. The springs actually help pull it up the hill. Mind you, it has issues going the other way. Maybe a spring snubber (like a ladder bar, but made with 1 leaf spring) would help?

ya i've been thinking around that idea but FAWK! It works so well aside from that. We'll see if i can come up with some sorta anti wrap.. I was hoping somebody else had this probably and did a quick fix to get rid of it.:mad:

ya i've been thinking around that idea but FAWK! It works so well aside from that. We'll see if i can come up with some sorta anti wrap.. I was hoping somebody else had this probably and did a quick fix to get rid of it.:mad:

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=573294&highlight=anti+wrap

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=467482&highlight=anti+wrap

Geberhard from Pirate...

1- add a leaf above the top main leaf. I have thsi setup, and works great. No issues with flex, and the wrap I had on the front is gone.

2- You will be pressed for space to put a link up front to work effectively, at a good angle. Not sure if you checked the setup I did with cable, works similar to your concept, but less intrusive.

And here is his cable thread for limiting axle wrap that would work in a confined space:

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=335637

Go SUA up front , no reverse shackle and you'll be fine. :flipoff:

For years I have been trying to convince myself to do a reverse shackle. But I have seen too many leafs get bent because of a reverse shackle set-up. For examlpe, climbing a ledge and you dont make it. The shackle digs in and doesn't move, bending the leaf. I've seen Pat do it, a couple of Sami's, even Yota's.

I don't have any issues with my front leafs on my ftoy, spring over and "shackled reversed". Just make sure you have a decent leaf pack with multiple thin leafs, plus run the spring clamps bolted.

I also have an added thicker leaf on the top of my spring pack facing forward only, that is bent up so its allready in contact with the tall spring clamp. This way it helps with wrap but doesn't interfer with compression or droop.

The only issue i have with a bit of axle wrap now is in reverse when the front end is hanging with no weight on it and the belly pan is hung up.

Anyone who was at the hammers would have to agree my truck climbs great for a leaf sprung rig...

I'll see if I can get some pics up tomorrow.

but shackle in the front forces the front end to have more traction when being pushed into a ledge :eeek:

I personally would rather have the diff move back and up so the whole rig can climb up ledge easier...