• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Front Detroit in the snow????

Drove over stevens pass once in 2wd only with the spool in the back of my XJ. That was a fun ride going downhill... you just have to keep going, if you let off the gas a little on the slick stuff going downhill, the rear-end would want to swing around the front and it was over. Had a couple close calls on that trip and decided I needed a front ARB instead of the detroit if I was going to do anymore street driving in winter with my rig. 4wd with an open front and spooled rear is actually pretty nice in the snow... very well balanced and sure-footed I thought.

NotMatt said:
Drove over stevens pass once in 2wd only with the spool in the back of my XJ. That was a fun ride going downhill... you just have to keep going, if you let off the gas a little on the slick stuff going downhill, the rear-end would want to swing around the front and it was over. Had a couple close calls on that trip and decided I needed a front ARB instead of the detroit if I was going to do anymore street driving in winter with my rig. 4wd with an open front and spooled rear is actually pretty nice in the snow... very well balanced and sure-footed I thought.

exactly my thoughts......thanks

My 2 cents:

run the Detroit and see what you think. I have done a lot of driving on snow and ice in my Jeep with open f/r, Detroit r open f, and Detroits f and r. Honestly my favorite combination was Detroit rear and open front. The auto lockers are really a lot different than a spool or selectible when engaged (spool). The auto lockers "unlock" as soon as you let off the gas and function almost as a open diff and allow you to get drectional control. When on ice as soon as I let off the gas the Jeep straightens out.

Driving at higher speeds with auto lockers is really no different than open diffs because the turns are pretty slow, it's really only in parking lots where you will see a difference.

WACO said:
My 2 cents:

run the Detroit and see what you think. I have done a lot of driving on snow and ice in my Jeep with open f/r, Detroit r open f, and Detroits f and r. Honestly my favorite combination was Detroit rear and open front. The auto lockers are really a lot different than a spool or selectible when engaged (spool). The auto lockers "unlock" as soon as you let off the gas and function almost as a open diff and allow you to get drectional control. When on ice as soon as I let off the gas the Jeep straightens out.

Driving at higher speeds with auto lockers is really no different than open diffs because the turns are pretty slow, it's really only in parking lots where you will see a difference.

Thanks for the input....I've driven plenty on all surfaces with a spool/locker in the rear, it is the auto in the front, hubs in, 2 or 4 hi downhill in a curve that I was mostly concerned about.

I love my detroit Front and rear i have never had a problem with them in the snow or any other condition. One thing nice about the them is the piece of mind that they will never go out on you like an air locker could, frozen or broken lines always seem to happen at the worts times

MIG'DHORSE said:
good idea.:D

Bad idea thats how I got my neglagence . dont even ask if the parking lot was empty cuz it was it was just me and fellow "red beard" drifted around thinken were badasses gettin are drift on, then it hapened; THE COPS! we both got bent over with a $537 fawken ticket. SO BAD IDEA!

but about the locker just drive!
keep it out of four on the road and keep it to the floor and have fun, then when you go into the ditch thats when you use the four wheel drive.
so put it to the flour and have fun.

outhouse said:
but about the locker just drive!
keep it out of four on the road and keep it to the floor and have fun, then when you go into the ditch thats when you use the four wheel drive.
so put it to the flour and have fun.

Perfect.....til I get to a ditch that's 1000 feet deep? :redneck: The guardrails are shorter then my tires? Whoops.

Thanks for the input guys.

Symon623 said:
Thanks for the input....I've driven plenty on all surfaces with a spool/locker in the rear, it is the auto in the front, hubs in, 2 or 4 hi downhill in a curve that I was mostly concerned about.

You will be ok, almost all roads don't have enough camber in them to make having a front locker want to slide out on you or not make the turn. The only place I have had a problem is in my own driveway, where it is steep and pretty off camber in a spot, but even front wheel drive, rear wheel drive, open 4wd have problems in that spot. One thing nice about an auto locker in the front (and rear) is that you get a lot better compression braking on the ice. As you know both tires have to slip not just one on an axle - works for acceleration and slowing down.

A selectible would be nice in the front though as you only need to be all locked up, some of the time. But when you do need to be locked up you will loose turning radius even more with a selectile because it becomes a spool. So pretty much, just pick your poison. :D

WACO said:
One thing nice about an auto locker in the front (and rear) is that you get a lot better compression braking on the ice. As you know both tires have to slip not just one on an axle - works for acceleration and slowing down.

I've found that this is not necessarily the case... it may mean you have a bit more compression braking power in the snow, but when it does let loose, the whole rear end is going to be out there wanting to sway side to side. I even have this problem with the limited slip in the back of my dodge... if I'm on ice and I downshift, the rear end wants to just swing around way too easily, because both tires are braking loose at the same time.

lilyota said:
I love my detroit Front and rear i have never had a problem with them in the snow or any other condition. One thing nice about the them is the piece of mind that they will never go out on you like an air locker could, frozen or broken lines always seem to happen at the worts times

yes they do and the arb guys who gave you so much crap for having a detroit have nothing to say :D

They're fine. You just have to know how to drive and steer with the throttle.

To much and you plow like a wrong wheel drive car. To little and the compresison brake causes teh skids.. float the throttle and make the turn. :D