• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Front Fender Trimming on a Suzuki

Drone637

Just thought I would throw together what we have hacking on in the shop the last few days. :)

The problem: The tires were rubbing the fender way to much once my springs broke themselves in a bit.

Original Solution: Actually put bump stops back on the SJ.

Solution we went with: Getting rid of a decent chunk of the fender. :D We wanted to keep a somewhat stock look with the full fender, so we went a slightly different route then most flat fender style conversions.

First, take on Suzuki SJ

CIMG1263.JPG

Draw a line about where you want the new fender line to be.

CIMG1264.JPG

Ignore that line and just cut wherever you think looks good.

CIMG1265.JPG

Make sure that you don't hit any electrical on the inside of your fender.

CIMG1266.JPG

Once you make your initial top cut, take out the sheet metal between the top and the bottom of the fender line.

CIMG1268.JPG

Here we decided to keep the original headlights. Another method would be to head straight to the left and put in rectangle headlights. Late 90's Chevy full sized rigs would be just about perfect. So draw a line on where you want to make the next cut.

CIMG1271.JPG

Sawzall!

CIMG1273.JPG

Weld up the back side of the fender that you cut out.

CIMG1277.JPG

Push the front of the fender together and weld it in place.

CIMG1280.JPG

You should have a gap under your fender, use a piece of scrap metal to fill this up. We used left overs from the fender on one side. It worked, but was a pain to weld. On the other side we just used some 1/8th we had laying around the garage.

CIMG1283.JPG

Next we built a guard for the headlight to replace the part we took out of the fender and welded it in.

CIMG1284.JPG

Clean up your welds.

CIMG1286.JPG

Throw some paint on it.

CIMG1296.JPG

Put the lights back in and your done. :)

CIMG1300.JPG

CIMG1301.JPG

There are larger pictures online at http://picasaweb.google.com/Drone637/SJ410Fenders

I'll throw some pictures up after the test run on Saturday and see how it works.