• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

front skid plate on 90 toyota

yodaboy4life

ok it has been snowing here which is not common at all for the elevation of 24 feet here soo i decided to take advantige of it and get up way early before i had to be aschool and go play in it and i went up on this road that i had went up last year in my 82 toyota on 35' and i had rutted them out with that said my 90 toyota is only sitting on 31 so i came into the ruts and i banged my front were the skid plate is but i when though it not thinking anything would go wrong but it did i had came down somehow on the skid plate and folded it like a taco so senice it is kinda needed to protect all that ifs :poo: i dont know what i need to do cuz it seems like the stock ones are poorly makeand very flimsy..... has any one made one there self and if soo what to make it out of so it will be dang near undestuctable any pics of some that people have made if not thats ok to ill figure it out on my own but i wanted to stop by here and check it out if anyone has make one thanks

I just keep beating mine back out. So far ive had it off because ive been working on the fornt diff slowly and everything seems to hit the tow hooks first or the crossmember up front. Or it hits the bottom of the ifs suspension. Never had a problem with stuff hitting anything else...plus it kinda lowers aproach angle near the bottom.

I had one from NWoffroad that actually was pretty hefty when I had IFS. Made out of aluminum. It is only one of 2 things I would EVER buy from them. The other was the 22re header.

trav i think we should go into my dads work and build some ... i need one to because mine wont fit with the lift:booo:

im just afraid of stuffing a stick though my oil pan or mess up my cross over streering all the stuff under there if it is really not a worry i ll run it with out it

so no one on here has had a problem with it off????? cuz i dont think i can bend it back to be even half straight it no joke looks like a taco and i have no clue how it happend besides the fact i was driving though ruts that were way deeper then 31s

Id say most of the IFS rigs I see dont even run one. All the frame work around the IFS crap is pretty good protection.

~T.J.

yea well if i get my way i wont be running ifs much longer but we will see i have never seen any one do an sas with just 31s or 32s is that even possible? kinda change in the subject my bad

to run springs with no lift or very little lift you have to have a 2WD oil pan or the hi-steer will hit on the 3vze.. i think the minimum without swapping oil pans is the 4 inch springs,, possibly 3?,, and either would look very funny with 31'a or 32's

ok well then that idea is out im not sasing my truck i dont feel like having any wose gas mileage then im getting now i already have an 82 that gets 4mpg

I have a stock skid plate you can have that i made some cheasy extetions for the old ifs 4" lift that would take a beating I have stuffed rocks and trees in it and never folded it but it has been dented and straitend a few times

yodaboy4life said:
im just afraid of stuffing a stick though my oil pan or mess up my cross over streering all the stuff under there if it is really not a worry i ll run it with out it
Itll hit your front diff defore the oil pan. All the steering is tucked up real good. The only thing ive had go through anything under there is a piece of my front ring gear going through my front diff:flipoff:

yodaboy4life said:
ok well then that idea is out im not sasing my truck i dont feel like having any wose gas mileage then im getting now i already have an 82 that gets 4mpg

Holly hell man. something has to be very wrong with your truck to only be getting 4 mpg. Did you mean to say 14 mpg??

OOh yeah, about the skid plate. Just take it off. The only thing those flimsy plates are good for is to help keep water/mud from splashing up all over your motor. As already mentioned, the bottom frame part of the IFS is pretty stout and provides you with protection.

Latest posts

Back