• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

front suspension advice (toyota)

toyodaaddict

i just installed duals in my 80 toy and before i get drive lines made i want to upgrade my front suspension but which setup is right for me? i run mountain trails lots off camber, steep hill climbs , mud. as of yet i haven't seen to many big rocks. my goal is low lift, just enough to fit 35s, moving the axle forward would be great . im not looking to open a can of worms if y'know what i mean . after alot of researching it seems marlin/TG/ect. are to tall. so im thinkig RUF but are they right for the terrain i run ? and im afraid they might be the can of worms i was talkin about (axle rap,pinion angle, ect) . at this point im thinking RUF or them skyjackers everyone hates so much . so any advice from those with experience?

Rears up front, just take out the overload spring. Put some waggys or chevys out back. Cheap, easy and your best bang for the buck. You can always change the flex/ride by adding or subtracting leaves.

springs

RUF is a good way to go they do flex good just make sure you do a good bump stop otherwise you'll taco the piss out of them. Another option is the waggy springs or Rancho 44044 that's another pretty common swap. or if you just want simple do like an old man emu spring i think they only come in 2" lift and play w/ a longer shackle for lift... those will be your best riding/handling spring

i just installed duals in my 80 toy and before i get drive lines made i want to upgrade my front suspension but which setup is right for me? i run mountain trails lots off camber, steep hill climbs , mud. as of yet i haven't seen to many big rocks. my goal is low lift, just enough to fit 35s, moving the axle forward would be great . im not looking to open a can of worms if y'know what i mean . after alot of researching it seems marlin/TG/ect. are to tall. so im thinkig RUF but are they right for the terrain i run ? and im afraid they might be the can of worms i was talkin about (axle rap,pinion angle, ect) . at this point im thinking RUF or them skyjackers everyone hates so much . so any advice from those with experience?

Do a search dude, lots of good info on this subject....:beer:

i have been searching this topic for the last month and i still have unanswered questions . this is all new to me so please understand. i wasnt sure if ruf work well 4 the terrain i run , i read alot about axle rap and am concerned they might be to soft . and can i use stock spring hanger iv seen conflicting info on that . also can i TEMPORARILY use stock steering if i find a way to limit flex?

rear up front, customs make your own pack for whatever you need it to do.
you can do limiting straps if needed.
temporarily use stock steering.... maybe, but with push-pull you might have problems with the new location of the axle (ruf is 2" forward IIRC?)
Might be better off to save a bit longer and do it all in one well planned session, rather than making more work for yourself.

rear up front, customs make your own pack for whatever you need it to do.
you can do limiting straps if needed.
temporarily use stock steering.... maybe, but with push-pull you might have problems with the new location of the axle (ruf is 2" forward IIRC?)
Might be better off to save a bit longer and do it all in one well planned session, rather than making more work for yourself.

This is good advice and a good set up I run rears up front but hy steer is highly recommend`d

you can run the rufs with the factory spring hangers but you'll have to use a longer shackle its temporary until you move the hangers forward some.

the factory steering wont work due to leafs pushing the axle 2" forward.

i installed my rufs before i did my high steer and you can turn right all the way but not left. you could modify the link but its not worth the time and the steering would be horrible.

as far as pinion angle that will depend on your pack and shackle length using the factory hanger. im running leaf shims right now to help correct the PA cause im lazy and cheap and didnt build a new hanger yet.

Latest posts