• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Front Suspension ?'s

wentz912

Ok, here's the scenario.

Got an 81 4x4 that I want to use a set of marlin 5" spring I picked upfor the front while staying as low as possible.

First I thought os just using and re-inforcing the stock hangers, with boomerang shackles, 12" shocks, home brew hoops, crossover, and u bolt flip.

My second option is that I can make myself a new front hangerwith as little drop as possible but still keep my pinion angle ok, and use some boomerang type shackles to compensate for the springs being 1.5" longer than stock.

This, in combination with some home built shock hoops, 12" bilsteins, crossover, and a u bolt flip seems like it should work just fine, especially with properly set up bumpstops and possibly playing with leaf combinations to keep it low.

I will try to get a design drawn up on what I am thinking for my spring hanger and get it posted.

But other than that, what do you guys think. Am I a ratard or on the right track?

Ok, here's the scenario.

Got an 81 4x4 that I want to use a set of marlin 5" spring I picked upfor the front while staying as low as possible.

First I thought os just using and re-inforcing the stock hangers, with boomerang shackles, 12" shocks, home brew hoops, crossover, and u bolt flip.

My second option is that I can make myself a new front hangerwith as little drop as possible but still keep my pinion angle ok, and use some boomerang type shackles to compensate for the springs being 1.5" longer than stock.

This, in combination with some home built shock hoops, 12" bilsteins, crossover, and a u bolt flip seems like it should work just fine, especially with properly set up bumpstops and possibly playing with leaf combinations to keep it low.

I will try to get a design drawn up on what I am thinking for my spring hanger and get it posted.

But other than that, what do you guys think. Am I a ratard or on the right track?

Spring it under:;:cool:

As low as possible with 5" springs? Might as well say you want to get the best fuel mileage so you are putting a 700 HP big block chevy in it... :haha:

If you want to lower the rig with thos springs start swapping out leaves with stock rears. Leave just the top 3 and replace the lowers with flat leaves and run an aftermarket hanger in the stock position. The stock spring hangers don't like abuse so they tend to tear off the frame.

I would build a new front hanger scoot it forward 1 1/2" run straight shackles that will keep your tires outa the front of the cab a little more. cause if you put longer springs w boomerang shackles you are going to loose all your up flex cause the tire will be back another inch. unless youre planning on running 31" tires then you would be ok thats my $.02

As low as possible with 5" springs? Might as well say you want to get the best fuel mileage so you are putting a 700 HP big block chevy in it... :haha:

I was meaning more as in how can i keep it as low as possible and still use these full leaf packs. I want to put as little drop in the hanger as possible while moving it farther forward about 1.5" from what i understand. i need to pul some numbers off the truck tonight so i can start the design.

i would chop off the front of your frame and build a new section for the front french your hanger in a bit, use stock length shackles

While he is cutting away at stuff, he could cut his perches and rotate the pinion up. That wasn't a hard fix.

sure thing. It will make it real fun to put ubolts and plates back on.:rolleyes:

All them problems can be avoided by using a proper spring setup in the first place.

complications and band aids are a PITA.:;

sure thing. It will make it real fun to put ubolts and plates back on.:rolleyes:

All them problems can be avoided by using a proper spring setup in the first place.

complications and band aids are a PITA.:;

Definately going with a shorter spring would be the easiest fix. He isn't asking for that though. He wants to run those springs, and get it as low as he can. Sure, there may be alot of extra steps to do so, but it can be done. :;

He may have some tinkering to do with the front axel to get the ubolts and plates on there, but it isn't impossible. I'm sure the front perches have been cut off and rotated before on a toyota. :awesomework:

Besides. it aint a PITA for us, cause we don't have to do it.:haha:

It will drive like **** if he rotates his pinion up, the caster will be way off then. He would also have to cut an rotate the balls then(this just sounds bad:redneck:). Creating more work for himself.

Easiest would be to mix an match with that spring pack to get less lift using flatter springs (such as White Trash said), get a new/different spring pack that is lower/flatter(maybe RUF, depending on how large of tires he wants to go), or cut sheetmetal to fit the tires he wants IMO.

Or he could do a doubler, and maybe make the pinion angle work(not sure on this though)

Last edited:
It will drive like **** if he rotates his pinion up, the caster will be way off then. He would also have to cut an rotate the balls then(this just sounds bad:redneck:). Creating more work for himself.

Easiest would be to mix an match with that spring pack to get less lift using flatter springs (such as White Trash said), get a new/different spring pack that is lower/flatter(maybe RUF, depending on how large of tires he wants to go), or cut sheetmetal to fit the tires he wants IMO.

Or he could do a doubler, and maybe make the pinion angle work(not sure on this though)

He doesnt have to rotate it so far as to throw his caster that far off. Rotate the axel to where the caster is okay and the pinion angle is okay, then weld the perches. That is the whole point of cutting off the perches. He can set the pinion angle and caster.:awesomework:

He may have some tinkering to do with the front axel to get the ubolts and plates on there, but it isn't impossible. I'm sure the front perches have been cut off and rotated before on a toyota. :awesomework:

Besides. it aint a PITA for us, cause we don't have to do it.:haha:

think about this again. square u bolts on toyota axles=no rotate.

Looks like I am wrong. Sorry for misinforming you. You absolutely CANNOT rotate your front axel........ Carry on.

Not even a ubolt ellimination could solve this prob.

Looks like I am wrong. Sorry for misinforming you. You absolutely CANNOT rotate your front axel........ Carry on.

Not even a ubolt ellimination could solve this prob.

okay well if you want to do it right and keep it low, and dont mind taking the time to do it right, cut the bells off the housing and rotate them, also it is possible to rotate a toyota housing but cutting the perches off and rewelding them, sure you couldn't use u-bolts but you can weld on and tap a peice of 3/4 plate or something like that you get the idea... i personally have never done this to the front end but i don't see why it couldn't be done... or you could just get a high pinion and be done with it:eeek:

How about the idea of using stock rear first and second leaves?(from the top) And then mixing in the marlin leaves until I get the height that I want. This would give me a stock length spring, but still move the axle forward a good bit correct? Am I really going to gain any real amount of travel with the marlins only being 1.5" longer? I know that the typical mode of thought is that longer is better, but where do i actually start seeing gains in suspension travel?

And I will still build a new hanger to correct the pinion angle from fromm 5.5" shackles, want to run the longer shackles for more droop and less bump travel.

Last edited:
The only reason I am arguing anything, is cause I thought he HAD TO USE those springs. I agree with everyone else, that he should use different springs.
Now it looks like he is considering changing around the leaf pack, so scratch everything I ever said:redneck:

My toy axles are rotated I used small homemade shims. then I made my own u-bolts, and plates. Hack the whole frame up, weld some scrap crap in to reinforce it, call it your own design, and wheel the hell out of it..