• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Fuel Filter

nighthunter

Does anyone have any idea what could be wrong with my rig. I have a 91 toyota 22re 4inch on 33's... Anyways i start it up some times it will idle a little funny and aslong as im going under ten it cuts out or when i punch it to get out on the highway or something to pick up speed fast it bogs alot then takes off! So im wondering could it be the fuel filter? I just replaced it like 6 months ago. Anyways i would be verry happy if someone could help me out with this problem i am haveing lol cuz im makeing a trip up to pullman next week and i dont feel like geting stuck in the middle of nowhere in the snow.. lol thanks
Troy
:cool:

I'm not familiar with Toyota's. However, your problem sounds like the fuel pump is gone.

I started to think it was the fuel pump but i have had this problem on off for like 2 months and if the fuel pump how much longer you think i could get away with driveing like this? Btw i thought when fuel pumps go out they go quick? soo may-b could it be the Plugs even know i just did a tune up like 3 months ago?

The intake system needs to be cleared out occasionally with a Moto-vac or other similar treatment. I've driven my 22RE powered truck for over 120,000 miles, and I have to do this procedure every so often. It's not likely the fuel filter if you put a new one in that recently--they last quite a while unless you use crap fuel. I think fuel pumps start to make a lot of noise when they start to go.

The intake system needs to be cleared out occasionally with a Moto-vac or other similar treatment. I've driven my 22RE powered truck for over 120,000 miles, and I have to do this procedure every so often. It's not likely the fuel filter if you put a new one in that recently--they last quite a while unless you use crap fuel. I think fuel pumps start to make a lot of noise when they start to go.

Ok cool ill give that a go tomorrow im trying to be cheap right now cuz i have to fork over 2500 dollars to the Operating school when i get there then im driveing to see my beezzzy sooo im hopeing my Little truck will get me there and back with out too much trouble lol

O ya Btw i dnt know if it makes a differ but i have 180,xxx on there soo ya im think i should replace the o2 aswell what do u think?

aslong as im going under ten it cuts out or when i punch it to get out on the highway or something to pick up speed fast it bogs alot then takes off! :cool:

One thing you might want to check is to see if the Air Mass Meter door is sticky or hanging up.

"generally" if it a fuel filter, it will continue to bog.

Bad fuel pumps don't always make noise.

You mentioned the HO2S, I have 185,000 on mine with the OE one still in there. No need to replace something , if you can't find something wrong with it.

Injectors do get dirty and sticky

If the old filter was fairly clogged, it could have put a lot of strain on the pump for a while, and now that its gone, the pump cant keep up with the flow of the system. Seen that happen more than once.

Id also look at the air mass meter thing in the lid if the airbox. Make sure its dry and moves freely inside. Had a friend whos truck wouldnt run for ****, and eventually I cut the silicone and popped that cover off to find standing water in there. Dumped it out, sprayed it out with some contact cleaner and the truck started right up. Used some new black RTV to seal the cover back on, and all was good.

~T.J.