• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Fuel mileage or cheapest way to tow yet be comfortable?

Pook

Open trailer, light as can be? Thats my current setup, long trips = tent or stay in hotels.

Enclosed with a V'd front nose? set it up with AC and bunks?

Big Gooseneck with camper and rig behind it?

Semi truck and bring lots of friends to pay for fuel?

Buy cheap commuter truck, leave tow rig and open trailer in storage somewhere central?

With Fuel getting stupid $, trying to figure out how I can afford to compete next year...

Whats the ideal setup?

Just the random thoughts in my head while I think of competing and wheeling next year. I'd like to get an enclosed trailer but know they hurt your gas mileage. Gas mileage we haven't been doing to good this year with diesel being so pricey, roughly 9mpg but thats going 85-95mph the whole time. If we slowed down we'd do a lot better.

... going 85-95mph the whole time. If we slowed down we'd do a lot better.
That's going to make a big difference right there. I get a lot better mpg when slowing down 10+ mph. I might get about 17 mpg going 75+ and up to the mid 20s going 65.

Do you have to go 85 to be comfortable? Whats your current setup? I have had the same thoughts in my head for a month now, I sold my truck and need a new towrig/ DD but am having second thoughts about a single big Diesel vs a cheap tow rig and a commuter car.

If your serious about hitting every event and on a budget, this sounds most reasonable.

Would have to agree with Brad on this one.

Kind of makes me think of Alaskan fisherman that more their boats down here. Run the boat up at the beginning of the season and then just bring it down at the end. Fly or drive something cheap and comfortable in the mean time.

Flying and renting (or bumming a ride to the tow rig storage) might be the most "cost effective". Not necessarily cheaper, but since Time is Money, and it take allot longer to drive way south than fly....
________
Ferrari f2001 history

Last edited:
If your serious about hitting every event and on a budget, this sounds most reasonable.

Thats my thinking too. Flights are pretty cheap. Keep the rig in LasVegas possibly or I know some of the guys by the Hammers would keep it at there house.

That or I just need to slow down and take more time getting there but thats $ since you miss more work.

Do you have to go 85 to be comfortable? Whats your current setup? I have had the same thoughts in my head for a month now, I sold my truck and need a new towrig/ DD but am having second thoughts about a single big Diesel vs a cheap tow rig and a commuter car.

My truck is an older Ford Diesel F250 extended cab, all stock,nothing special. It sure would like it if I went 65mph but I am a hurry up and get there kinda guy... I might have to change that mindset though.

Buy cheap commuter truck, leave tow rig and open trailer in storage somewhere central?

How would you work on the rig between comps? Just hang out where it is stored, go through the rig & then fly back home?

How would you work on the rig between comps? Just hang out where it is stored, go through the rig & then fly back home?

This seems like the biggest problem to that approach... unless you were able to score space at a good friend's shop that would let you work on your rig there too.

Just seems like your time would be limited even then, since you're going to be trying to get back home so you can go to work. If you've got the rig at home, you can work on it at your liesure in the evenings and such between events, but if it's thousands of miles away... well then you're stuck taking the parts down and working on it the day/night before the comps. Seems like a recipe for missing out on comps due to not having enough prep time before hand. Just my take on it.

If it were me, I'd suck it up, load it light, take a little extra time getting there, stay in the tent, or in the bed of the tow rig with an air mattress. Maybe throw a canopy on if you don't have one... much less weight than a camper.

That is the biggest issue. :( I know if I leave it at a friends place I can go and work on it there but I'd either have to take off a few days earlier or leave a few days later.

We need We-rock and need to help them find some sites in the PNW to have a regional series.

I crunched some quick numbers out of boredom, just to see what would happen if you slowed down.

Given
3000 mile trip

9 MPG at 85 MPH= 333 Gallons at $4.90, cost is $1630 total. (35 hour drive)

11 MPG at 65 MPH= 273 Gallons at $4.90, cost is $1340 total. (46 hour drive)

What about converting a gas rig to propane? (say a 460 Ford)
10MPG at 65 MPH= 300 Gallons at $2.50, cost is $750 total.

Basically if you slow down, you will save about 20% of your fuel cost, but it will take 5.5 hrs longer each way. If you were to convert to propane, your fuel would cost half as much but you would have to pay for the initial hit of $1000-1400 for the kit and 5 or 6 tanks. Just trying to be creative, and the mileages are my best guess.

Personally I am sitting on some cash from from selling my old gas towrig, and hoping that the truck market continues its decline so I can buy a truck at a$1500-2000 discount and suck up the diesel cost.