• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Full Time Dana 60

DuctTapeMafia

I am thinking about picking up a 78 F-250. The man reason I am getting it is for the HP king pin 60 thats in it. The thing that worries me is that the truck is full time 4x4. All of my research shows this axle to be one of the desireable ones. No where can I find info on if it is simple to change out to manual hubs without spending a ton. Anyone done this?

Step 1 remove drive slugs. Step 2 install locking hubs.

Are you sure that is a 60? It is somewhat unusual to find a 60 in an F-250.

Yeah, king pins and all. Simple enough. Going to pick it up. Thanks

Pull the slugs and make sure it doesn't have 19 spline outers. Run far far away if it does. You will have to replace everything from the kingpins out to make it into a real 60.

On a side note if you do buy it and it is a 30 spline inner 19 spline outer "60" I have a bunch of spare parts I'll make you a screaming deal on. :eeek:

I thought the 19 spline stuff was only on the Ford low pinion 60s. If it is a high pinion and kingpin he should be good to go.

HPD44's had drive slugs, but were ball joints...Never heard of a drive slugged D60 from the factory...especially in an 250...F350's sure, but still not slugged...Maaaybe coulda been a factory option to order a d60 under an F250...but I have never seen it.

Full time 60 in a '78 F250?:eeek: If you say it is, just make sure. IIRC didn't D60's come under a F250 camper special or the snow package but with manual hubs?

Last edited:
a 30 year old truck could have a yugo axle in it.

Ive even seen subi engines in yotas. People will do anything. Its up to YOU to figger it out.

Who knows whats in it. If its real cheap and odd, you MIGHT get a deal or you might get an EDUCATION.

Where did ya see it at? :corn:

Okay so I went to take a look at it and here is what I saw for those of you that are curious. I pulled the cap and found slugs with 30 spline outers, it has king pins and a massive diff cover with 10 bolts. It is a high pinion with open knuckles. Downside is 3.54 gears but now that you can get low gears for either carrier, it doesn't matter anyway. Thanks for the help.:redneck:

did you found the "60" mark?

I will take a wire brush out and check that before I fork the cash over. according to the 60 Bible its on the right bottom corner if you are looking at the diff cover, correct? I've done Toyotas for so long that all of this is new to me. :awesomework:

78-79 high pinion 60s are the popular ones but I've never heard of full time fwd from the factory on one. As far as fords are concerned, from what I've scene, that's a Dana 44 1/2ton thing with the 203. I'd run the BOM numbers on it and cross reference everything. But nothings saying the owner didn't put the drive slugs in himself.

Billavistas dana 60 bible is ur friend...

Hope it is what u think it is. FWIW I paid $1100 for my 78 high pinion and it was fully rebuilt with new warn hubs. Being able to turn full lock and put it to the floor worry free is worth it

i dont know about ford hp60's but chevy dana 60's came with 30 spline fulltime slugs, super simple three piece units with a splined slug, a metal sleeve/spacer and a metal cap. I have a set for my yoter's axle.

Okay so I went to take a look at it and here is what I saw for those of you that are curious. I pulled the cap and found slugs with 30 spline outers, it has king pins and a massive diff cover with 10 bolts. It is a high pinion with open knuckles. Downside is 3.54 gears but now that you can get low gears for either carrier, it doesn't matter anyway. Thanks for the help.:redneck:

Did you take any pictures while you were looking at it? You just have a lot of people curious about a F250 with a D60 with drive slugs. Not the most usual occurrence.

Okay. I bought this rig tonight and scored. Kyle ran the BOM and it comes back as a HP 60 F-250 Snow fighter. Basically an option for a plow truck. I did more research and it fits the bill.
Clearance lights
Factory Trans Cooler
Dual Batteries
High amp Alt
Oil/Amp guage
High output heat
HP Dana 60
Hd springs
Hd shocks

The same family has had it since 1980. Even came with the old style title. I have quickly changed my mind about ripping the axles out of it for my Wheeler. No question there. Thanks for the input. :D

Did you take any pictures while you were looking at it? You just have a lot of people curious about a F250 with a D60 with drive slugs. Not the most usual occurrence.

I took him over there to pick it up tonight, I looked up the BOM on the axle before he bought it. It is a Hi pinion 60 with slugs. It is a f250 snow fighter package, so it was made to be a plow truck. they came with a full time 4wd transfer case, your only options are hi and low. It wasnt made for someone to daily drive it was meant to be a "light duty" plow truck.

Cool find...and a first for me to hear of a ford D60 with slugs...:awesomework:

I think they are pretty rare only 78 and 79. Its a sweet truck the only real rust on the damn thing i saw tonight was the wet boot spot under the go pedal. The rockers look intact with no rust. over all a sweet truck and a sweet deal.