• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Game Camera ?'s

jkh533

I almost put this in the deer season thread but thought it may not belong there?

What brand game cameras do you guys have the best luck with?

How high you mount them?

How far from a feeder do you put them if you use a feeder?

We used a Stealthcam 8 this year and seam to be doing something wrong? Put it on a t-post and moved it down about 3' off the ground, that helped, it's about 50' from a feeder. My Dad and son have sat in the stand and seen deer at the feeder and nothing on the camera?

I have used Cuddeback, Leaf River, Moultrie, Steathcam, and this year I am using Wildgame Innovations. The Wildgame Innovations are by far the cheapest and most reliable cameras I have ever used, and I have been using cameras since the 35mm days. I mount mine about 2 feet off the ground and within 20 feet of scrapes or feeders. If you get much over that you will have a hard time with it triggering when they get in front of it. The only thing about the Wildgame cameras is if the deer is moving the picture quality is not great, I have some on trails and when the deer is walking it is blurry. Other than that I have no complaints. I am planning to put one above a scrape up high in a tree pointed down, have not done that before but have seen some cool pics from some folks that have done that.

I never had any of the real high dollar ones but I've had all the cheap ones. The cheap ones only last about a year and eat batteries quicker than you can put them in. I bought a moultrie last year and will never buy another cheapone. The batteries in the moultrie last 10 times longer and that paid for itself there. Then I noticed the moultrie takes about 2 times the pics, different sensor or something :dunno:. And don't buy a low megapixel. I got a helluva deal on some stealthcam 3 megapixels and if they do take a picture you cant tell what it is. :puke:

i have a cheapo a middle and a highend one and they all three work best 2' off the ground and within 20' of the corn pile any higher than that and i have to angle them down or i just catch the top of there heads. a cuddyback is the best one i have seen it will catch birds in the air

Yeah I have problems with my moultrie game camera too. It only gets picture of does for some reason. And its also a raccoon attractant. The coons eat all my corn and occasionaly feel the need to chew through the camera strap.

IMO 50' is too far away for the sensors on most cameras. They advertise they can take a picture this far away but most of them the sensors dont work that far away.

Make sure to watch the sun the light can affect pictures I have serval from moultries to cuddie backs there all bout same to me these days I put mine out bout 20'

mrdrinksalil said:
Yeah I have problems with my moultrie game camera too. It only gets picture of does for some reason.

molaugh molaugh

Yeah, had my Dad and son not seen some that the camera missed we would've just thought there were no deer?

I just got new FLASH Cuddyback Attacks last week and I love the pictures they are taking. They have an 18 month warranty which seems about long my older Cuddybacks have been lasting without a solftware issue.

I hate the IR pictures. They just suck.

wngrog said:
I just got new FLASH Cuddyback Attacks last week and I love the pictures they are taking. They have an 18 month warranty which seems about long my older Cuddybacks have been lasting without a solftware issue.

I hate the IR pictures. They just suck.

Cuddyback?! I thought you were against em!

Cuddebacks are all I use.

They cost a lot but I have been real frustrated with IR cameras and the Cuddyback attack has taken the flash camera to next level. They gave me $75 each for my old Cuddy's in trade

What is everyone using now?

Anyone using Covert cameras? Reading good things about them but would like some real world experience stories if anyone has one.

I switched to moultries a few years ago. They work awesome at first but I have noticed my oldest one kinda stopped taking as many or as good of pics as it used too. :dunno:

I have two wildgame innovations one crush eight and a somethin 10? They both take the same quality pictures 8 takes c's the 10 takes AA and is smaller. All I record is 30sec videos in "hd". I like to watch how the critters are acting and which way they are coming and going! I mount them on small trees or a pine staff drove in the ground 15-20 foot from the corn pile.

https://vimeo.com/128987438

https://vimeo.com/128987476
43639296ea17ff5b2578e725ff34cd2d.jpg
858abfef0ca43d668b91b4ca5594addc.jpg
4177c486d139dba4b7777f17bdf73ed7.jpg

Couple from last year

50 feet is too far away, & I recommend something that takes C or D batteries... It is so nice changing batteries 2-3 time a year instead of every few weeks :****:

muddinmetal said:
50 feet is too far away, & I recommend something that takes C or D batteries... It is so nice changing batteries 2-3 time a year instead of every few weeks :****:
The rechargeable energizer AA's work good for about three weeks. The c's last all season plus a month before!